new Midlake album "The Courage of Others"
Mar 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this one yet. I was a little dissapointed with the album at first to be honest. I of course missed that beautiful sound of Van Occupanther, especially the unique and gorgeous way they use keyboards in their two previous albums, and that rolling, classic americana feel. But It's grown on me a lot. It's really lovely and sad. I still don't think the songwriting as a whole is as good as previous albums, there's a few songs that seem a bit bland. And the cover is not so hot IMO, I think a photograph of thick forest or something would better suit the music. But I have a lot of respect for them for changing their sound so much with each album. I read in an interview that they really didn't want to just make another van occupanter (I wouldn't mind though
smily_headphones1.gif
) and given that album's success I think that takes a lot of "courage". Can't wait for their next album in 3 years!

Anyone else pick this up?

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Great album, It took me 3 or 4 listens to get into it but now I love it. Van Occupanther has been one of my favourites for a long time, so I have been looking forward to this release. I think it is defiantly as good as VO and after a few more listens I may even consider it better.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 5
I actually loved it on first listen then as I listened to it more, all the songs started sounding the same to me and I got bored with the album after 4 or 5 listens. I think their sound is wonderful though and it's just as gorgeous as VO. would just like to buy more variety please!

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Just saw Midlake live tonight and it was amazing! Really one of the best shows I've ever seen

3 electric guitars, 2 acoustic guitars, a flute, bass guitar and an awesome drummer. The songs were actually better than they are on the album, and not just because they were jamming out, but they played so much harder. They did like a 5 or 6 minute jam intro to Roscoe.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 5
I really enjoy this album, but I've got to say that I don't really hear the drastic changes that a lot of people are talking about. I read an interview with the band and they, too said that this was a departure from their sound and more of a move toward something like British classic rock and folk from the sixties. I heard some of those influences, but the sound was still good old Midlake. "Van Occupanther" was one of my favorite albums through college along with Band of Horses "Everything All the Time", so I was really pleased to hear a new one from Midlake come out (as well as discover Cease to Begin, by BOH).

Cheers!
Zach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back