New Member Introductions thread
Dec 19, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,881 of 15,636
Hello! Pretty new to this forum, I like searching and reading more than posting (which is bad if I want to earn ranks :D), but anyway. I'm generally trying to figure out the best value for money solutions on the budget.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,882 of 15,636
el boricua
howdy! i live in puerto rico and i hope I can introduce myself in this thread because i couldn't find the one for that purpose.
i'm almost 62 yo and before 2015 the only time i had full size HP's was in the 70's, they were a pair of koss and a pair of AT. since then I only used ear buds and cheap things like the sony portable 100 but i always tried to have a decent stereo setup in my living room.
last summer i got the incipio f38 to listen to music without bothering the tv watching of my son. but the HP bug got me and started reading reviews in amazon and watching videos in youtube.
i'm a person of modest means so i may appreciate the sexy lines of an aston martin but i'll never drive more than a hyundai, lol!
after the incipio i bought the tascam 02 when it was $16 in amazon and then the m30x which i got used like new for $29 when it was $69 new.
received yesterday the hd558 and i am very pleased with it. right out of the box I heard more bass than I was expecting but mids and highs were soooo right. I even compared one trumpet note, long and high, (played by chris botti) between the AT and the senn. the AT reproduced it without harshness but like the trumpet had a cold. the 558 sounded clean and sweet. right there I knew i have an excellent pair of HP's.
after listening to them and burning them in for about ten hours, i could not stop myself and did the mod, LOL!!! in spite of its great mids and highs, the bass was more than I like, in many songs it overpowered the rest of the frequencies and it seemed bloated to me. i listened for a while to the m30x's with their weaker bass, and when i came back to the senn it sounded powerful but dark.
I know I should have waited a couple of weeks before doing the mod but I have 30 days to return them to amazon and I wanted to know asap if I would keep'em or consider exchanging for the 598's.
the mod immediately gave me better bass, gone was the bloat and the impact stayed strong but cleaner.
I have two cheap HP amps, a lyxpro with four outputs and a line5. first i listened through the lyxpro because it lets me compare instantly between the HP's but it kind of accentuates bass. the line5 is giving me better sound so it matches better with the senn. the jazzradio.com app in my cell phone sounds beautiful through the 558's without an amp,they are made for each other.
thanks for reading my long introduction and i hope to learn a lot from the community.
see'ya!

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #2,886 of 15,636
Hi Guys!

I'm quite new into the this audio world however I'm very into Anime and love anime songs. I came into this world when my friend let me listen to his Rhines Stage 7 CIEM. Hope my wallet can sustain this new hobby of mine.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,890 of 15,636
Hi there I am new here also. I am wondering what opinions on a set of headphones for $200-$300 range. I have a Fiio X3 1st gen

Without knowing any of your music preferences, in my opinion the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 is a great all-around headphone that is also lightweight and comfortable as well.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,891 of 15,636
Welcome to Head-Fi, everyone! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #2,894 of 15,636
I mostly listen to rock classic and current. I have a set of Grado sr60 now

Based on the music genres you mostly listen to, I would concur the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 would be a great choice.  Try to audition first if you can since there is a chance you may not like it.  If you can spring $399 and want a great sounding headphone for the price (and has oodles of bass and a coherent midrange as well), I would choose Fostex x Massdrop's TH-X00.  It isn't available as of this writing, but will probably be available soon during Massdrop's next "drop" of the TH-X00.

Hope this helps. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back