New Member Introductions thread
Dec 5, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,791 of 15,609
  Hi and thanks for letting me join the site. There's so much great info. I am trying to find out about large-capacity MP3 players - what GB they hold, how they sound, how sturdy they are, if they can manage playlists, if they require SD cards to have high capacity, price one should expect to pay, how user-friendly they are, can they hook up to Macs/Linux, battery time, formats supported, etc.

Since some players can get you via sd cards into the 100's of GB's, what types of files do you have/want to play, where will you play them - what's the main purpose/use of the player for you (home, out, @ work,  exercising), how many songs do you want to carry around, do you want to add on with extras like amps, do you have a budget, are you bothered by if it looks ugly but sounds incredible or prefer looks beautiful and sounds ok etc. There's a lot of things you need to work out to then explain to members before they can adequately give you suggestions to look at, otherwise it's the blind leading the blind lol.

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,792 of 15,609
Glad to join this forum and try to upgrade with better sound quality in my life. My entire music collection is lossless but I've never really invested in the accompanying audio equipment to take full advantage of all the FLAC files I have. So far the most expensive headphones I have owned are the SteelSeries Siberia V2.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,793 of 15,609
I'm new as well, been a few months since the bug bit me. And my quest for better sound just doesn't stop.

Anyways currently enjoying my hd650, akg7xx and Grado 225. But still on the look to improve the sound :)

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,794 of 15,609
Hi Everyone! My name is Todd and I have been a long time lurker but never made an account. Figured that its been long enough so why not join. I dont have a lot of gear but I love my HD650s. Hoping to someday be able to get the HD800s. Happy listening!

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #2,796 of 15,609
Hi roninmedia, let the journey begin to euphoric sound 
jecklinsmile.gif

Hi h2rulz. good luck with the endless quest 
L3000.gif

Hi ToddVT, your lurking days are over, welcome 
atsmile.gif

Hi DoctorLeisure75, your lurking days are over too 
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #2,797 of 15,609
I honestly could have lurked forever in this place just trying to grasp the technicals and nuances there are to Hi-Fi without making a profile but it was the constant willingness to help/give advice that I saw in every new thread I read that made me want to step out of the shadows...plus there is only so much reading you can do about audio before you have to actually hear what everyone is talking about.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #2,800 of 15,609
Hi, I seem to have stumbled into an expensive hobby lately. Started off with HD 558, but after a year or so I upgraded to the HD800 in what was a heat of the moment kind of purchase. Now im waiting for my Schiit Vali Amp and Denon DAC to arrive in the mail. After reading up on the HD800 I know in my heart that there is more gear to be bought down the line, but hopefully this setup will keep me happy for a good while.

I will use this setup for music, movies and gaming together with my PC and Sound Blaster Z sound card. If I can sneak in a noob question here.. ? Would it be best to use a USB cabel for music and set up an optical connection for movies and gaming? Any advice on how to get the most out of my system?  

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #2,801 of 15,609
Good afternoon; My name is Ben and I'm a longtime /r/audiophile and /r/headphones lurker coming over from Reddit. I recently snagged a pair of W5000s for $250 at the Audio-Technica warehouse sale over here in Ohio, and with a (somewhat debatable) high-end set of cans, I've decided to come join the Head-Fi master race. Here's to productive times in this forum - I haven't been seriously into a forum since my old Starcraft days!

I can't confess to knowing much about my set-up, I usually have had friends help me pick what to buy. Here's my gear currently: M50, HD600, W5000 coming out of Magni2+Modi2

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back