New Member Introductions thread
Apr 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,621 of 15,578
Hey thanks for the advice i actually listened to the sennheisers 558 at best buy and i didnt find them too impressive .. I heard good things about the 650 though. You think theres a big jump in sound quality from the 558 to 650?

I wouldn't know, as I am not quite initiated myself. I would assume it would be a notable difference, maybe not extreme. Do bare in mind that they were most likely not amplified or used on a good DAC, and even my "new" grado sr325e are comparatively unimpressive straight out of a standard computer source. I know this from when I listen to music at work. I would say that if you have the money to spring for the 650s then go for it, but I would float around a bit and get some input from someone who has experience with more hardware. Maybe someone will suggest another brand to look at. I would say that you should definitely spend some time with some Grados at some point. I am a very happy owner of what I would consider their solid mid range cans, and I intend to eventually grab a pair of gs1000e or whatever the iteration will be by the time this college student can excuse spending 1000 plus on a pair of cans XD 

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,622 of 15,578
Hey thanks for the advice i actually listened to the sennheisers 558 at best buy and i didnt find them too impressive .. I heard good things about the 650 though. You think theres a big jump in sound quality from the 558 to 650?

Most likely, yes, but you should know that the 600s and up are 500 Ohm headphones, and as such require high powered amp to drive them.  They will not work on a cell phone, mp3 player, etc. without additional help.  Just wanted you to be aware that if you're just getting started, those are not just pick them up and play them.  You have to have the system to run them.  The top end "easy" headphones from Sennheiser is the 598.  Try those first.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,623 of 15,578
Thanks for the info guys unfortunately there isnt any local places to check out all the heaphine. So i just have to go by what ppl say on these forums.

I got me a nice tax return so i got to look into some audeze lcd 2 and i read on some solid recommendation for amps such as schiit or meier jazz something by one of the threads what do u guys think

May 1, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #1,625 of 15,578
I know what you mean. I have been thinking about the Sennheiser HD 598 and now they have arrived in the mail.  Now that I am not a totally new member I will post a short review of these headphones after further listening.

May 1, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,627 of 15,578
Hi guys, I've joined the forum for a couple of months now.  A lot of equipments has been growing in my apartment. lol.
I started out with a custom Earwerkz Supra from Kickstarter, AKG K7xx, and a JH Roxanne universal.  I've been using various of sources, iPhone 5s, a Macbook Air, AK10, and ifi iDac.

However! I could tell little to none difference between all of them in terms of sound quality!  Any suggestions?

I think I might just have a bad pair of ears.  That would luckily save me a lot of money and preclude me from further discussion in the forums which might be a good thing.  lol.

May 1, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,628 of 15,578
To get started, relax and focus on the sound. Your surroundings should be fairly quiet, close your eyes, and sink into the music. After a few minutes the separate left, center, right stereo perspectives should fall away, and your head will feel like it's in the center of an expansive sound field.

Regarding the art of listening, the above is a quote from the most recent article I recall. To continue reading, here's the full link:

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-best-listen-to-headphones/

May 1, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #1,630 of 15,578

The HD-650's are a really great sounding headphone.  Many have bought and sold and re-bought these over time.  I had the 558 and 598 along with many others (see my profile) but the HD-650 is one of those headphones that I keep going back to.  They will sound ok with your computer sound card but to get the best from them you will want a amp (tubes/hybrid) seem to work best with them.  I like them with either my Lyr2 or Project Ember, both are hybrid designs.  I have a Bottlehead Crack on the way which is a OTL tube amp so I'll see if a pure tube design is better than hybrids for the HD-650 at that time.
Also, look for sales for the HD-650, check the deals thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/14445#post_11563268

May 2, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,632 of 15,578
New member on the train to NY, hoping to buy some sr60s from stereo exchange. It'll be my first grados and they'll have a great time coexisting with my 598s. Those things are gonna be fun to mod:) wish me luck

May 2, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,633 of 15,578
New member on the train to NY, hoping to buy some sr60s from stereo exchange. It'll be my first grados and they'll have a great time coexisting with my 598s. Those things are gonna be fun to mod:) wish me luck

Then, lotsa luck! :)

Know that there are all kinds of threads on head-fi about modding Grados that can help you. Just google Grado mod with head-fi as a keyword. Also, you might enjoy taking a look at the Grado Fan Club thread. Say hi, and let 'em know what you are planning. They can also point you to resources: http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club

May 3, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,634 of 15,578
Hiyo! :D
My name's Jeffrey and I play the piano and violin - but I'm a secret basshead. I'm a bit of a noob to buying proper headphones/earphones and collecting 'em, but have a pair of JBL J33 in-ear headphones and am hoping to get better IEMs soon. 

By any chance, would there be a good IEM under $50-60 with a wide soundstage, neutral possibly and good isolation? A bit of bass would be nice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back