New Member Introductions thread
Jun 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #121 of 15,587
Been lurking here on and off for a while and thought I'd finally join in the lunacy, er, fun!

I've been what I like to call a "budget audiophile" for as long as I can remember. I recognize and appreciate accurate audio reproduction and fine equipment, but not having unlimited funds at my disposal (few of us do) I like finding gear that sounds great while still being affordable.

That, and the fact that I now live in about 100 square feet, is what has gotten me to rediscover the joys of headphone listening.

I spent most of my working life as an audio repair technician, repairing both consumer/audiophile gear as well as musician/pro equipment, so I know the insides as well as the outsides. My musical taste is pretty wide ranging - if it is musically good and well recorded, I'll probably listen to it. Of course I have some faves that I always go back to, especially when evaluating gear, because when I've heard something enough to know it intimately, it is so much easier to separate the sound of the particular component from the idiosyncrasies of the artist, instruments, or recording.

My current headphones (at least the ones worthy of mention) are:

OG Sony MDR-V900 (efficient enough that a portable can drive them decently, but can handle three watts if I'm in the mood for earbleed volumes and/or need to monitor in a DJ or live recording situation )

Koss Porta-Pro (efficient, very light, and one of the best <$50 'phones I've owned)

Quart Phone 45X (an amp is a must, but the sound is open and well-balanced and they're comfortable, too)

Shure E3 IEMs (efficient and accurate, good isolation)

Headphone amplifiers are a Bravo V3 and a Little Bear P1. I'm also in the process of modding a 50L6 tube amp from an old console stereo and converting it to dedicated headphone duty.

When I don't have cans on my head, I listen to a pair of Klipsch Synergy B2 fed from homebrew 300B SET monoblocks.

OK -- that's probably more than anyone really cares to hear for an intro post.

Oh... and what's up with this forum software? It seems I can't use Google Chrome to post? I can read OK, but had to switch to Firefox to be able to post (editor simply doesn't appear for me in Chrome).

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #122 of 15,587
Hi to all! Im Carlos,from Spain.
I have been reading so long ago and just registered an account last week.

I always wanted a better sound, so all started when I bought a Westone 1, four years (or so) ago and a new world opened in front of me!  :p

I love listen and play music (play guitar and drums) !

I recently bought a Theorem 720 to use it with my ipod, and a Westone4r to users on the forum, that are on the way to my home! I think its a step up on the portable listening level!

In my home I own a Rotel RA11 amp and KEFQ300 speakers. And a Sennheiser SD595 headphones wich I plan to upgrade soon.

So lets keep reading, learning and listening!

:)
I had a pair of KEF Reference 104/2 speakers (also with Rotel RCD855) a long time ago. KEF made some really good speakers

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #124 of 15,587
Hi guys. New poster here. I am getting a Grado RS1i and was hoping someone could suggest a good DAC/AMP combo? I was looking at schiit Valhalla2/Bifrost. Do prefer a warmer sound but i listen to mainly classic rock but can't stand harshness/brightness. Thanks!

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #125 of 15,587
  Hi guys. New poster here. I am getting a Grado RS1i and was hoping someone could suggest a good DAC/AMP combo? I was looking at schiit Valhalla2/Bifrost. Do prefer a warmer sound but i listen to mainly classic rock but can't stand harshness/brightness. Thanks!

Those are great cans for classic rock....I do not know what your budget is, but for pretty cheap you can get a Little Dot 1+.....it is a hybrid amp, and it is a great match for your RS1i headphones.

Only thing is, it is not a dac/amp combo.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #126 of 15,587
Hello! New person here, I own a westone umpro 10 and the AKG K712pro. Used to own Westone 3 until I broke it. I've been thinking of getting a pair for CIEMS. my budget is around USD500. I mainly listen to jazz, classical and some country. Any recommendation? Also how do I update my profile info. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #127 of 15,587
Hi Everyone,

I'm very much new here. Currently own a UM Mentor universal as well as a Fitear TG334. In the process of diving into customs with a Fitear MH334 on order. Hope to learn and exchange tips with all the experts and enthusiasts around here!

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #129 of 15,587
Carly (male) here. I've been modifying guitars, effects and amps for years but never knew exactly why the various components do what they do. Seeking info on small signal amplification is what led me to head-fi.org.

This looks to be a very informative site. I'm glad I found it.

Cheers
Carly

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #130 of 15,587
Hello all. Been browsing around here for a few weeks and thought I should finally join and start asking questions and what not. I tried to make a new thread but it didn't let me so I just posted it here. Thanks for having me!

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #133 of 15,587
Hi all, 

My name is Matt and I'm a new member here. I would not consider myself a true audiophile due to lack of knowledge, however I appreciate quality sound in headphones and know it when i hear it. I have only owned two quality IEMs in my life- Shure E3cs I bought about 10 years ago (lasted me a good 8 years before finally giving up the ghost) and TDK BA200s, which were phenomenal IEMs, particularly for the price. Unfortunately they only lasted me a bit more than a year before the right earpiece stopped working. Given they are out of warranty I am here to find my next IEM. 

Happy to be here and hopefully absorb a bit of knowledge from you all. 

Matt

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #134 of 15,587
New with iems that rock ! Welcome
biggrin.gif

Mentors will be my next purchase , can you tell me what do you think of them ?

Hi efib, I'm not very good at describing the characteristics of IEMs, but in my opinion, the UM Mentors sounds smooth across all ranges, extends well into both the highs and lows, have a good bass, and a sweet midrange. A good step up from the UM Miracles, I feel. Hope this helps.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #135 of 15,587
Longtime lurker here. I finally decided to sign up because I brought a new pair of headphones, which was a long overdue. I'm not well versed in the world on headphones and sound like others here, but the information on this site is simple incredible. I'm glad that I signed up, hopefully I'll stick around and expand my horizons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back