New Member Introductions thread
Dec 25, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #961 of 15,590
Welcome to head-fi, my first headphones were the ATH-50x and I still think there a lot of fun to listen too. Although I mostly use them with my portable rig. Are you using a amp with your ATH-50x's? I use a Fiio E12 to run them with my portable rig and wow, my cans sing. Hope your new cans put a smile on your face.

I would go for the Fiio E12, it's a better unit. This hobby does drain the wallet, but to me it's worth it.

So the e12 pairs well with the m50x? I'm going to pick up a pair pretty soon and I'm not sure whether I need to amp them or not. I know they're pretty low impedance and can be driven just fine from a mobile device, although I 'm sure there is some improvement in SQ from an amp. But is the improvement seen with the e12 worth spending almost as much as the headphones themselves cost? 

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #962 of 15,590
Hello everyone,

I've just decided today to join after lurking here for some weeks. my name's Bernard, and I don't have high-end gears yet, but I use my IEMs for live performance. I'm currently using sony xba-4 and shure se425 (as spare) and i'm playing bass.

Have been looking around for some infos regarding CIEM, i guess I'd get UM merlin or miracle for my first ever CIEM. any opinion or recommendation on that?

anyway thanks for reading, and merry christmas!! :)

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #963 of 15,590
Hey everyone,

I'm a regular 22 y/o french guy in a coop education program (as a network administrator)
I've had a few headsets/headphones in the past, some better than others, but i've never been fully satisfied so here i am! I hope i can get something better.
I'm about to open a new thread to ask you guys recommendations etc... see you soon!

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #964 of 15,590
So the e12 pairs well with the m50x? I'm going to pick up a pair pretty soon and I'm not sure whether I need to amp them or not. I know they're pretty low impedance and can be driven just fine from a mobile device, although I 'm sure there is some improvement in SQ from an amp. But is the improvement seen with the e12 worth spending almost as much as the headphones themselves cost? 
That is a good point, a got the e12 to run the ATH-m50x's and also to run any future headphone might get. However the sound improvement from using the e12 is nice but it not life shattering and you might want to wait before yea get a device that's as expensive as your new cans. But to this irrational audiophile, it's all worth it, to hear such great music lol. Please have a good one jamming out.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #966 of 15,590
Just signed up today and wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

I'm fifty nine years old and just got some Sennheiser HD600 headphones and a first version Schitt Lyr amp to plug into an Oppo 103. So far I have only listened to these headphones plugged into my Denon X1000 headphone jack and they sounded pretty good, but I am expecting even better sound with the amp integration and will not have my RCA cables to connect until tomorrow, pretty excited to try them out. 

I have not had headphones for over thirty years now, forgotten what a treat they can be, and so far think they have gotten much better over that period of time or maybe I had just forgotten. If I remember right my last headphones were Koss and at the time pretty good ones too.

I got to looking around on the internet and found a thread here on various tubes for the Lyr, its over two hundred eighty pages long and to tell you the truth a bit overwhelming, but what a wealth of information and I just had to sign up.

So anyway, I look forward to participating and can already thank the many who have contributed here making this place what it is, which so far I have found most impressive.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #967 of 15,590
HI guys.  I've just joined the forum and am happy to be here.

I currently have a pair of Beats By Dre which are incredible...

just kidding :wink:

I have the following setup:

Audeze LCD3
Sennheiser HD800s w/ CH800S
Sony XA7ES Transport
Oppo HA-1
Audioquest Carbon USB
JRiver Media Centre 19

Will post some pics once i can.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #968 of 15,590
Greetings all, another new user here. I've just recently needed to introduce myself to the world of headphone audio and this is, by all accounts, the best place anywhere to learn about this side of audio that I've not had real exposure to before. 

Thanks to everyone out there who makes this site the invaluable resource that it is, and I hope to learn a lot from you.

And for the record, my current setup is:

Source: Mac mini server with CDs ripped as AIFF
Interface: Audio Engine D1 connected via optical toslink to Macbook Pro streaming from the above server
Sennheiser HD280 Pro

…but this will be changing very soon

--continuity0

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #969 of 15,590
Greetings all, another new user here. I've just recently needed to introduce myself to the world of headphone audio and this is, by all accounts, the best place anywhere to learn about this side of audio that I've not had real exposure to before. 

Thanks to everyone out there who makes this site the invaluable resource that it is, and I hope to learn a lot from you.

And for the record, my current setup is:

Source: Mac mini server with CDs ripped as AIFF
Interface: Audio Engine D1 connected via optical toslink to Macbook Pro streaming from the above server
Sennheiser HD280 Pro

…but this will be changing very soon

--continuity0

Welcome to the forum, am also new and looking forward to upgrade my gears in foreseeable future :D

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #970 of 15,590
Hi everyone,

I am now a member 
smile.gif

I was recommended here by various sources from the internet. I'm here since i have decided to search for a gaming headphone. 

I will make my first thread soon and would appreciate any advice provided.

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #972 of 15,590
Hey guys. I'm new to the forums. I'm not sure if anybody reads this thread and could help me but I need some help, or, I should say some help in pointing me to the right direction.

I want to learn more about headphones, how those sound and which DAPs to pair headphones with. And whether DAC is needed or not. I would like to have some info on bass, different frequencies, impedance, sensitivity, etc.

What I can see on this forums is that all the topics are specific to brands and models and there is not much of plain theory. Or maybe I don't see those topics with the theory. I would like to have some links please. Thank you in advance.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #973 of 15,590
Hey guys. I'm new to the forums. I'm not sure if anybody reads this thread and could help me but I need some help, or, I should say some help in pointing me to the right direction.

I want to learn more about headphones, how those sound and which DAPs to pair headphones with. And whether DAC is needed or not. I would like to have some info on bass, different frequencies, impedance, sensitivity, etc.

What I can see on this forums is that all the topic are specific to brands and models and there is not much of plain theory.

Welcome to Head-fi McVlaga!
Here are few links to get you started.

1. Take a look at this interactive chart. http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm . Move your cursor over the chart and pay attention to the description in the top right box labelled "Spectrum data"

1. Check out these Head-fi articles.
A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies
Headphone Buying Guide
Frequency Response Of Headphones : To help you understand what you are hearing.
Describing Sound A Glossary : To understand the mumbo jumbo that Head-fiers throw around.

1. ClieOS also has some great short articles on his site:

The Sound Choice - an illustration of Sonic Relationship

To Amp, Or not to Amp

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #975 of 15,590
  Welcome to Head-fi McVlaga!
Here are few links to get you started.

1. Take a look at this interactive chart. http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm . Move your cursor over the chart and pay attention to the description in the top right box labelled "Spectrum data"

1. Check out these Head-fi articles.
A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies
Headphone Buying Guide
Frequency Response Of Headphones : To help you understand what you are hearing.
Describing Sound A Glossary : To understand the mumbo jumbo that Head-fiers throw around.

1. ClieOS also has some great short articles on his site:

The Sound Choice - an illustration of Sonic Relationship

To Amp, Or not to Amp

Wow !! That is some good stuff posted right there, thank you so much !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back