New Member Introductions thread
Jul 16, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #3,872 of 15,539
Howdy everyone. I'm finally joining after about a year of lurking for gear research. So far the community has already been invaluable in assembling both my living room and headphone setups, so I hope to be able to contribute as I gain more experience with different gear and source material. Thanks y'all, and I look forward to meeting many of you.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #3,873 of 15,539
Big Daddy here, been browsing the forum for few months and have decided to join in!!! Planning o get some advice b4 I spend some $$$ for new headphones and amplifier\DAC! I accidentally started new thread b4 posting here...newbie mistake!  

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #3,874 of 15,539
Hello, I'm Evan, a newcomer to the world of audiophilia, this site has helped me make small buying decisions in the past and I joined now to ask a question about a more substantial purchase. I enjoy gaming (osu!, overwatch, DotA 2, to name a few games), listening to music, and watching movies/tv shows.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,875 of 15,539
Hi, I finally made an account after reading threads for the last few months. I recently purchased a set of Fostex T50RP Mk3 headphones and after doing some common mods, I realized my computer can't power them at a decent volume and had to undo everything. I'm interested in DIY headphone amps for this reason. Looking forward to be able to comment and ask question as I learn more about this stuff. 

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,876 of 15,539
Hey, Boatbuilder.
I've done quite a bit of boat repair with my brother, and we have an early 1900's 26' catboat to finish up some day. He also has a 26' Crosby Curlew sloop, a rare thing for Crosby.
But about phones. If you just need some more volume, and not really an amp, you might check out the Geek Out V2 thread. It's a USB DAC with balanced output that easily powers my 700 ohm Sony MDR-Z7's. It has a 100mW and 1000mW boost, so it might do what you're looking for. Plus you can ask about how your phones will handle with it on that thread.
It's small, and about $299 retail. it really does make a huge improvement sound wise over the computer headphone jack, and it can be sent to your stereo gear with the right wires.-TRRS to RCA for example.
I got mine a little cheaper on eBay, but it leaves me without a warranty etc. So maybe consider that. Its big plus for the price is that it is balanced. Not many are. That is supposed to take the sound to a new level of separation and clarity, though I need to get the wires to hear it. Super low noise, and plenty of power coming through from my computer now. 
Smooth sailing,
Fullranger

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3,878 of 15,539
Hi. I'm Shaya. I love me some headphones, and I love buying them. Pleasure to meet you all and I hope to be contributing a bit more here soon. Anyways, how many posts do I need before my PM limit increases, etc.? Anything else that will changes, access to forums, etc. depending on post count? :)

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #3,879 of 15,539
Hello everyone,
Now what do I say about myself? Well for starters I'm just a fresh-spawn in the world of Audiophiles, but I'm so very eager to get my hands (and ears!) on some amazingly sounding toys.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #3,881 of 15,539
Hi everyone.  I've been lurking here for awhile.  I had been an audiophile for many years and have had Magnepans for 10+ years and loved the sound of planars (had martin logan electrostats before that).  I dabbled with some headphones and then became totally hooked with the recent crop of PM headphones - currently have a handful of PMs including Oppo-PM-3, HE-500, Audeze Sine, Audeze LCD-X and a bunch of dynamics too.  It's been fun playing with various components (DACs, amps, portable players).  This sure is a fun and addicting hobby!

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #3,882 of 15,539
Salutations everyone:

I have been lurking in the shadows of your wonderful forumsfor the past few months. I have l used your forums to gain a wealth of knowledge about the headphones audiophile life. My background is mostly in the live sound engineering field in which I served over 15 years. I also worked in recording studios at the very beginning of my audio career. As a huge fan of the audio life, I have designed a personal surround sound system for my home and built a pretty decent audio system for my personal vehicle. As a previous home recording studio owner, I have as well, designed a small home studio audio set-up for digital recording (No longer in hat business) but I still have my gear set-up for listening. I'm into other non related audio hobbies that are too many to list right now. 

To get started in the hobby I purchased a cheap chi-fi Little Bear P8 from eBay and a set of Sennheiser HD 650's (wanted to know what the big deal about these headphones is). I have already soldered a nice Alps potentiometer on the P8 board to get rid of a noisy pot but I have decided to stop dumping money on that amp and start looking into maybe getting a Bottlehead Crack to build myself (unless you guys can recommend something else??). As an expert cable builder (built over a 1,000 feet of professional microphone cables in my career) I have started building some awesome HD 650 cables at home. I have not finished any yet since a lot of the connectors have to be shipped from china. I got some awesome 18Ga OFC cables from a local surplus store that I plan to use for a braided/sleeved short cable set up. And , I also just got some Canare L-4E6S quad that I plan to use for a "longer" cable build. I will post some pics when I finish them. 

Anywhwo, I look forward to keep learning about this new hobby from all of you in this forum, and I look forward to all the cool stuff I plan to build and tinker with in the near future.

G

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #3,883 of 15,539
  Hi. I'm Shaya. I love me some headphones, and I love buying them. Pleasure to meet you all and I hope to be contributing a bit more here soon. Anyways, how many posts do I need before my PM limit increases, etc.? Anything else that will changes, access to forums, etc. depending on post count? :)

Usually everything kicks in after 15 legitimate posts.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #3,884 of 15,539
Welcome, everyone! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #3,885 of 15,539
Salutations everyone:

I have been lurking in the shadows of your wonderful forumsfor the past few months. I have l used your forums to gain a wealth of knowledge about the headphones audiophile life. My background is mostly in the live sound engineering field in which I served over 15 years. I also worked in recording studios at the very beginning of my audio career. As a huge fan of the audio life, I have designed a personal surround sound system for my home and built a pretty decent audio system for my personal vehicle. As a previous home recording studio owner, I have as well, designed a small home studio audio set-up for digital recording (No longer in hat business) but I still have my gear set-up for listening. I'm into other non related audio hobbies that are too many to list right now. 

To get started in the hobby I purchased a cheap chi-fi Little Bear P8 from eBay and a set of Sennheiser HD 650's (wanted to know what the big deal about these headphones is). I have already soldered a nice Alps potentiometer on the P8 board to get rid of a noisy pot but I have decided to stop dumping money on that amp and start looking into maybe getting a Bottlehead Crack to build myself (unless you guys can recommend something else??). As an expert cable builder (built over a 1,000 feet of professional microphone cables in my career) I have started building some awesome HD 650 cables at home. I have not finished any yet since a lot of the connectors have to be shipped from china. I got some awesome 18Ga OFC cables from a local surplus store that I plan to use for a braided/sleeved short cable set up. And , I also just got some Canare L-4E6S quad that I plan to use for a "longer" cable build. I will post some pics when I finish them. 

Anywhwo, I look forward to keep learning about this new hobby from all of you in this forum, and I look forward to all the cool stuff I plan to build and tinker with in the near future.

G

Howdy Sektor7G,

Are you waiting for the Sennheiser ends on a slow boat from China, or for phone plugs? I ask because I was also planning to build some custom cables for my HD 650 and have a few extras that I managed to get fairly cheap (turned out the reason they were cheap is because they had labeled them incorrectly... 'R' on the black connector, 'L' on the red). I think I paid $7 a pair for those nice large metal connectors (I got 5 pairs, I think, and one is for my project). Anyway, if you are in the USA and those other connectors are going to take a while to get there, I could sell you a set or three if you're interested.

Otherwise, welcome and I look forward to a post detailing your cable build (I hope)! I really could use a few tips for getting any wires attached to those tiny surface mount 3.5mm plugs that seem to be the only thing you can find in 4 conductor (trrs) plugs these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back