New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
Mar 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #271 of 501
^ Probably shows the Classic has decent headroom with well controlled distortion - THD and IMD

Nice to see you like the combination Frank - looking forward to your review!

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #272 of 501

I'm glad you wrote this post. I was about to order HD800 (and the Corda stack later next week) but now I think changed my mind, AGAIN. I'm gonna go with the T1 since there's so much positive feedback about them paired with the Corda stack here. Can't go wrong with this setup, I hope.

Hey Scarfin I think you will be very happy with that set up. I have the same.

I've had my set up just under a week, and I've used at least 6 hours everyday. I didn't have much experience with high end gear, so I didn't know what to expect. After extensive research online, it was pretty much a blind jump into the unknown.

I listen to most of my music through Spotify premium. Prior to my purchase, I had been listening to various versions of Beethoven's Symphony No.6 ("Pastoral") available there[Herbert von Karajan (Berlin Phil), Simon Rattle (Vienna Phil), Andre Cluytens (Berlin Phil), Claudio Abbado (Vienna Phil), Carlo Maria Giulini (LA Phil)]   

First Impressions
The first time I listened to the music through the daccord, classic and T1, I could tell some difference from before, but there was definitely NO WOW-effect. I'm not saying that I felt let down, because the difference in the sound quality from my previous set up was noticeable - I could hear the sound was clean (in that there was no 'fuzziness') and instruments well defined.

But I suppose I was expecting to be able to hear greater separation in the instruments as I had previously read that as one of the T1's characteristics. 

Gradual Impressions
HOWEVER, around the 3rd day, I started noticing a change in what I was hearing. Before I suppose it was like hearing good quality sound in 2D, but gradually the various instrument sections in the orchestra gained their own prominence and detail. 

Here I am writing this on the 5th day since using the gear, and the changes in the sound have continued, at least to my ears.

Prominence and detail
It seemed like something had 'loosened' and relaxed, and whereas before the equipment seemed to be merely projecting the music (allbeit in excellent sound quality), the difference now was that I could discern more clearly details such as the vibrato of the string section. Moreover, listen and you will hear the melodies of these less forward instruments such as the double bass. The conductor dictating the tempo as well as the volume of the musicians could also be more appreciated. The strings 'sing' to a more noticeable degree now. These textures means that the biggest difference I notice as time passes with meier gear and T1 is that I notice the musicians' input to the music to a greater degree.

The gradual change in the sound I perceive feels to me that the headphones seem to be 'playing' the instruments rather than merely projecting. I suppose this is what other reviewers/writers meant when they wrote of the musicality of the T1, as well as its match with the meier equipment.

For me this has made listening to the 6th symphony an even greater joy. Being able to appreciate the different interpretations and nuances given by the different orchestra musicians as well as the composers makes listening very intriguing. Not to mention glimpsing the genius of the composer through their composition. For me it's also wonderful to hear Beethoven put as much effort and affection into composing for every instrument section. 

Burn-in time(?!!?!)
I'd read about 'burning-in' your headphones/equipment, whilst looking into headphones, and I am aware of the contentious debate surrounding it. What I can definitely say is that I am finding myself enjoying listening to the same piece of music to an ever greater degree since my first listen. Could it be just my ears adjusting to the new equipment? Perhaps, but I am certain that my listening enjoyment is so much better than my first 2-3 says.

So I am beginning to understand what people were saying about returning to the Meiers and T1, and also what Jan writes of the Wow-feelings coming after. The phrase that 'good things come to those who wait' is a lame cliche to end on, but is one which sums up my experience with the Cordas and T1 

Substitute the 6th symphony with your own favourite music and I think you will find a lot of enjoyment from the music.

(Apologies in advance to the thread if I've gone too far off topic - I found it impossible to separate the effect of the Classic on its own since I've changed all my equipment together.)
-----------

P.S. I suppose you will take advantage of the Meier sale that is on at the moment? I got my daccord and classic as well as the T1 from Meier with a good deal. It may be worth emailing Jan as he responds very promptly, and answered all my queries. Not to mention the I received my order to the UK faster than I was expecting!!

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #274 of 501
SunTanScanMan, not at all off-topic and great notes :beerchug:

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #276 of 501
 I been loading my entire cd collectoion over 1500 of them on my imac as a server. I been listening to the Meier stack for like  10-12 hrs a day while doing this projects with zero fatigue and never wanting to switch amps or sources. That is a major accomplishment for any amplifier.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #277 of 501
Frank, could you describe what you mean with this "fatigue" phenomenon?

When I hear that term used in the context of Head-fi, the first thing that comes to mind would be getting tired of wearing a headphone on the head, which I get after several hours of using on-the-ear headphones or in-ear earbuds. But I take it that's not what you are referring to?

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #278 of 501
Fatigue is when you lose interest and cant listen anymore whether it be  headphone or a nasty piece of electronics, Their are amplifiers I have reviewed where I couldn't listen more than a hour before I got headaches and just needed to walk away from the electronics. This amplifier lets me listen for hours without wanting to take breaks. Thats how I refer to fatigue. There have been amplifiers I couldn't listen to for long period of time.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #280 of 501
  Hey Scarfin I think you will be very happy with that set up. I have the same.

I've had my set up just under a week, and I've used at least 6 hours everyday. I didn't have much experience with high end gear, so I didn't know what to expect. After extensive research online, it was pretty much a blind jump into the unknown.

I listen to most of my music through Spotify premium. Prior to my purchase, I had been listening to various versions of Beethoven's Symphony No.6 ("Pastoral") available there[Herbert von Karajan (Berlin Phil), Simon Rattle (Vienna Phil), Andre Cluytens (Berlin Phil), Claudio Abbado (Vienna Phil), Carlo Maria Giulini (LA Phil)] 

P.S. I suppose you will take advantage of the Meier sale that is on at the moment? I got my daccord and classic as well as the T1 from Meier with a good deal. It may be worth emailing Jan as he responds very promptly, and answered all my queries. Not to mention the I received my order to the UK faster than I was expecting!!

Thanks for the first impressions, SunTanScanMan!

Have you been satisfied with the sound quality (320kpbs) of Spotify premium? I use the service, too. I'd like to take advantage of 24bit/96kHz sound quality the Daccord supports but I'm not sure is it worth the higher cost. Albums on HDTracks.com cost $20 minimum. Spotify premium is 10 euros / month and you can listen whatever you want (if the album is in Spotifys catalog, anyway).

And yes, I'll take advantage of the Meier sale. I'll grab MEIR-AUDIO RCA-to-RCA cable and SIEVEKING SOUND Omega stand with the Corda stack, the whole package should cost 1,225 euros. I have to order the T1 from another place, though.

By the way, is there any Apple users here? I'm gonna hook my Retina MacBook Pro to the Daccord with toslink(s/pdif)-miniplug(s/pdif) cable. The Late 2013 MacBooks should support 96kHz audio through the headphone output: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5783. I suppose the sound quality should be about the same through USB and optical output?

And one more question for the movie buffs. How can I get the best possible audio quality from movies with my MacBook? I mostly watch ripped Blu-rays. Is there any difference in e.g. TrueHD audio to some "lesser" audio codecs when using two channel headphones?

Thank you in advance!

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #281 of 501

Thanks for the first impressions, SunTanScanMan!

Have you been satisfied with the sound quality (320kpbs) of Spotify premium? I use the service, too. I'd like to take advantage of 24bit/96kHz sound quality the Daccord supports but I'm not sure is it worth the higher cost. Albums on HDTracks.com cost $20 minimum. Spotify premium is 10 euros / month and you can listen whatever you want (if the album is in Spotifys catalog, anyway).

And yes, I'll take advantage of the Meier sale. I'll grab MEIR-AUDIO RCA-to-RCA cable and SIEVEKING SOUND Omega stand with the Corda stack, the whole package should cost 1,225 euros. I have to order the T1 from another place, though.

By the way, is there any Apple users here? I'm gonna hook my Retina MacBook Pro to the Daccord with toslink(s/pdif)-miniplug(s/pdif) cable. The Late 2013 MacBooks should support 96kHz audio through the headphone output: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5783. I suppose the sound quality should be about the same through USB and optical output?

And one more question for the movie buffs. How can I get the best possible audio quality from movies with my MacBook? I mostly watch ripped Blu-rays. Is there any difference in e.g. TrueHD audio to some "lesser" audio codecs when using two channel headphones?

Thank you in advance!

I live in the UK, so I don't think I can get tracks from HDTracks.com (legally), and tbh I haven't really gone out of my way to do so. 
For now I'm very satisfied with the sound quality of spotify premium, but from experience, how the record was originally recorded and mixed shows can go a long way to how interesting it sounds with high end gear. 

Just as an example, and a non classical one, listen to 'Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful' album on spotify. The position of the instruments and voices are so much more pronounced - I've had lots of fun experimenting with the Crossfeed circuit of my Meier stack.

The quality of the music has shone through with the gear, and spotify for me allows for exploring and finding new music. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #282 of 501
Concerning listening fatigue, among my speaker audio group in years gone by we found fatigue - exactly as Frank describes it - a reliable way of detecting distortion. A poor amp could be one reason; another, that it was being over-driven and 'clipping' on transients. If the transient was long enough you could definitely hear it, or in other cases you would only notice once you hooked up a 'better' (might be 'more powerful') amp. It would sound distinctly more pleasant. Fatigue and headache gone.

Don't know what it does to phones but for sure speakers don't benefit from large quantities of square waves delivered at clipping!

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #283 of 501
I see I'm late to this discussion but, WOW. I just picked up the Corda Classic and I'm in amazement when it comes to the clean power coming out of this amplifier (especially for the price). I have mine paired with the HD800 on his recommendation and I'm glad I did. This is pure art IMHO, I'm using my Hifiman 901 as my DAC and I was clearly wrong thinking the sound could not get any better. This company has a loyal customer for as long as products like this are being produced.  

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #285 of 501
I'm expecting to get my Concerto in the next couple of days, bought for a really good price from a kind Head-Fier via the For Sale forum. Especially looking forward to listening to my W5000 and HD650 with it.

My question is, does anyone have a clue at the output power on these? I've seen a table of output power per impedance for the Corda Classic, but I don't know if it's necessarily the same as the Concerto. Anyone here knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back