New Marantz SA-8004
Sep 5, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #61 of 205
Hello. Would any of you be aware of SACD players of other brands (but not the universal blu ray types) priced at around the same level as this Marantz SA-8004?

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #62 of 205
NAD and Cambridge Audio have some really nice stuff that I tried out as well.
There afe plenty of SACD players in the 1-2 thousand dollar range.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #63 of 205

Quote:
Hello. Would any of you be aware of SACD players of other brands (but not the universal blu ray types) priced at around the same level as this Marantz SA-8004?

Yahama ad Onkyo both have sacd players priced less and than the Marantz but will not be as good. Most others including all the Cambridge stuff is redbook cd only no sacd. I am not aware of any others that do what the Marantz does  mainly be 2 channel have a DAC that can be used separate without a transport or with one . Its a great player. All the NAD players have had quality control issues and break.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #64 of 205
Thank you for your replies. Yes I went to look up the Cambridge Audio lineup and indeed they do not offer a SACD/CD player at the moment. I do note that there are two universal players in the lineup.

Strangely enough I never thought of Denon until scouring sa-cd.net. They do have a SACD/CD lineup in which the DAC chips used are AKM. Whereas the Marantz KI Pearl Lite -- the Asian and European equivalent to the SA-8004 -- uses Cirrus.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #65 of 205

Quote:
 Most others including all the Cambridge stuff is redbook cd only no sacd.

I was refering to the Cambridge Audio DVD99, it's a DVDA/SACD player
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=293&Title=DVD99+HDMI+DVD-Audio+SACD+Player

It has USB connectivty as well, but no "i" support.

Quote:
This unit supports "USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport"
devices only. Most USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and
card readers conform to this device class. Other USB devices such as
MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones may not be
compatible.

I can't decipher exactly what formats it supports either as the specs and docs aren't as straight forward.

Quote:
 I am not aware of any others that do what the Marantz does  mainly be 2 channel have a DAC that can be used separate without a transport or with one .

Likewise, before we get into the universal swiss army knife players, I think the SA8004 is the most versatile, high quality device out there for CD/SACD use and iDevice transport / external DAC use.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #66 of 205
Yes absolutely the  SA-8004 is a very prudent and excellent performing choice.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #67 of 205

Quote:
I was refering to the Cambridge Audio DVD99, it's a DVDA/SACD player
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=293&Title=DVD99+HDMI+DVD-Audio+SACD+Player

It has USB connectivty as well, but no "i" support.

I can't decipher exactly what formats it supports either as the specs and docs aren't as straight forward.

Likewise, before we get into the universal swiss army knife players, I think the SA8004 is the most versatile, high quality device out there for CD/SACD use and iDevice transport / external DAC use.

The OP dont want a DVD player if he did there are many choices. Dedicated 2 channel systems should have a 2 channel player IMO.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #68 of 205
It's alright. I appreciate all your suggestions. I was having trouble identifying my reasonably priced options beyond the marantz.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #69 of 205
All of this SA8004 talk inspired me to use crank on the SA8003.  Been doing mostly computer audio over the past couple of months so the Marantz hasn't been feeling the love.  

First, tried the 8003 using the headphone out with my LCD-2.  To my surprise it sounded pretty good, just not loud enough to bring out what the LCD-2 can do.  Back when I was using the HE-4 the 8003 could not power those cans to any satisfaction.  

The SA8003 SPDIF > W4S DAC-2 > Lyr > LCD-2 is a killer combo.  To the credit of the DAC-2, the USB input from my computer sounds as good as the SA8003 SPDIF to DAC-2.  Because of this I probably will continue to use the 8003 as a source for my vintage rig.  SA8003 directly to Lyr doesn't sound as dynamic as SA8003 > DAC-2 > Lyr, but it's still pretty dang good.  There's a little more meat and forwardness to the mids when the DAC-2 is in the middle.  I wonder if the 8004 would be better as a standalone DAC running directly to a headphone amp.    

SA8003 is a price-based, solid alternative to the 8004 if you don't need the input USB DAC option.  The 8003 does have USB input but it uses a different chip which isn't the same quality chip used for CD player so the 8004 will trump the 8003 in this regard.  No computer link either for USB input of the 8003.  However, the 8003 is incredibly detailed with a slight warmth to it, the CD player is kick arse.  

If the SA8003 can sound as good as does now I imagine the 8004 is even better.  If I were doing things over again, I would seriously consider SA8004 as my main DAC/CD player.  As with some things in this hifi world, we learn too late 
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #70 of 205

Quote:

The OP dont want a DVD player if he did there are many choices. Dedicated 2 channel systems should have a 2 channel player IMO.

Co-sign.  Most universal players are one or two trick donkeys.  If the reports on the 8004's performance are anywhere near accurate, I may have to check it out.  I have an 8001 and find it to be very good at its price point for SACD.  CD playback and HP section are abysmal.  Not a great used strictly as a CD transport,either.  Aside from the convenience/flexibility factors, it sounds like Marantz made extensive upgrades in the 8004.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #72 of 205
Anyone here have the NA7004? It has the same DAC. Just curious...

Oh, and how would this DAC compare to the Yulong D100 DAC for $500? Better I hope?

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #73 of 205
I've looked at the Marantz, but still prefer the universal Oppo BD-95 for a multitude of reasons including multi-channel and analog output for multi channel. And, since SACD is at its best delivering multi-channel why a stereo only player?

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #74 of 205

Quote:
I've looked at the Marantz, but still prefer the universal Oppo BD-95 for a multitude of reasons including multi-channel and analog output for multi channel. And, since SACD is at its best delivering multi-channel why a stereo only player?

Because some enthusiast prefer two channel over multi channel plain and simple. For the true 2 channel audiophile the SA8004 is the answer. More money put into the player for music reproduction and if you have no interest in home theater why buy a blue ray player for your music.

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #75 of 205

Headphone listening is only stereo.
IPod connectivity.
Component quality.

For me that's why, even my HT set up is only 2.0, I don't care for more that 2 channels.
I'm probably in the minority, but for me that is why.

Mine serves as a headphone listening station source in the bedroom. No computer, no TV, just the source and ampwith the phones.
Simple, concise, and for my money, murderous quality all controlled with the simplicity and familiarity of an iPod classic.

Now if someone wants a multichannel-whiz-bang-all-in-wonder, sure, there would be other devices to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back