New Marantz SA-8004
Oct 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #166 of 205
I think that's why it will act as my DAC for awhile. For a grand it seems like an excellent machine and it will allow me to upgrade my amp first.

I'm sure it will improve upon standard PC HO sound through UB, and give me a damn good CD player as well. Then I'll use it as an all in wonder 'til I get my hands on a Dark Star of LF...Then I can worry about a DAC upgrade.

Quote:
I don't think you'll regret getting the Marantz. It's a full featured machine for under $1000. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #167 of 205
FWIW, I´m listening to some HDTracks songs, and DVD audio files that I have ripped.
Sending 24/48, 24/96, and 24/192 files through TOSLINK from my laptop to the SA8004 right now.

Fed into a Lyr and LCD2s, I have NO complaints.

A highres file of Bjork's "Post" is sounding quite nice through the modest DAC in the 8004.

I'm now curious to put this head to head with a Cambridge 840C.
The Cambridge doesn't feature SACD, but it has a purportedly better pair of DACs and balanced out.

It would make an interesting comparison.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #168 of 205
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Oppo 95, I've had one about a month & a half now & I love it. I auditioned a Cambridge 840c sometime ago & I did'nt think it was that much better than the 640c that I was using. I ended up getting a Consonance CD player but I wanted a player to play my SACDs . I had a Marantz SA8001 that was ok but it had operational quirks recogni.zing SACDs so I went back to using my Sony 333es for SACDs. The funny thing was the hybrid layer(CD) layer that I'd EAC rip & burn to CDr were sounding better than the SACD layer on the Sony(the Consonance is a hell of a good player but the CD layer should'nt sound better than the DSD layer. I "bit the bulllet" & went out & got the Oppo. Out of the box the SACD playback was better than the Sony & Marantz players I've had. The thing that has floored me is how good CD playback has become. I've tweaked the player a bit (JPS labs AC-X powercord,Cardas XLR/RCA adapters, Nirvava SL Interconnects, capacitors & transformer AVMed.) & am running it into a Schiit Lyr headphone amp. Even without most of my upgrades I believe it sounded significantly better than the Sony & Marantz players(w/ these upgrades you would have to go to a more expensive player to find something that will sound as good as my player does) You don't have to go as far I have, but this player responds very well to tweaks.

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #169 of 205
It's really the only other player I'm considering at all for SACDs. The thing that bugs me about the SA8004 is the lack of Balanced options. 

Straight sound for CD and SACD is my only concern. Is there a comparison for these 2 somewhere? I can't seem to find one.

Quote:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Oppo 95, I've had one about a month & a half now & I love it. I auditioned a Cambridge 840c sometime ago & I did'nt think it was that much better than the 640c that I was using. I ended up getting a Consonance CD player but I wanted a player to play my SACDs . I had a Marantz SA8001 that was ok but it had operational quirks recogni.zing SACDs so I went back to using my Sony 333es for SACDs. The funny thing was the hybrid layer(CD) layer that I'd EAC rip & burn to CDr were sounding better than the SACD layer on the Sony(the Consonance is a hell of a good player but the CD layer should'nt sound better than the DSD layer. I "bit the bulllet" & went out & got the Oppo. Out of the box the SACD playback was better than the Sony & Marantz players I've had. The thing that has floored me is how good CD playback has become. I've tweaked the player a bit (JPS labs AC-X powercord,Cardas XLR/RCA adapters, Nirvava SL Interconnects, capacitors & transformer AVMed.) & am running it into a Schiit Lyr headphone amp. Even without most of my upgrades I believe it sounded significantly better than the Sony & Marantz players(w/ these upgrades you would have to go to a more expensive player to find something that will sound as good as my player does) You don't have to go as far I have, but this player responds very well to tweaks.

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #170 of 205
Check avs forum. I remember reading about it, but people on there were saying that sonically it wasn't any better than a 300-500.00 dac, but the bluray performance was outstanding. I read that if you want really good audio performance, the oppo 93 nuforce edition was a better bet. I think the price option for that is similar to the oppo 95. But you never know.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #171 of 205

Quote:
Check avs forum. I remember reading about it, but people on there were saying that sonically it wasn't any better than a 300-500.00 dac, but the bluray performance was outstanding. I read that if you want really good audio performance, the oppo 93 nuforce edition was a better bet. I think the price option for that is similar to the oppo 95. But you never know.

That's pretty interesting , I did'nt notice the comments about it not being any better than a 3-500.00 dac (although no matter what forum you go on to you'll find a numerous amount of posters who are either clueless to setting up equipment to get the most of it or they just don't hear that well. There is absolutely no such thing as "plug & play" hi- end sound from any piece of equipment right out of the box, whatever is set-up ahead of & after that new component has to have the capability to allow you to appreciate what the player is capable of. As far as the Oppo 93 nuforce edition it may be the choice if you are going to output the sound through the HDMI output to an AV Receiver it does'nt have Sabre 32 bit 9018 chips in it. I think the problem is a lot of people don't really know how to setup analog correctly. As strange as it seems to me there is a whole new generation of listeners who have had very little experience listening to analog sound as everything they've listened to growing up has been digital. What's that saying ? "What was old is new again" YMMV ,but  I honestly believe my 95 can compete with some much more expensive digital music players & I don't really care that it can play Bluray movies as well I have a player for those. This is too nice of a "music player" to use for other applications that may interfere with that function !

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #172 of 205
The NuForce edition of the OPPO BDP-93, I'm referring to the BDP-93 NXE,  is actually at its best delivering multi-channel from its analog outputs. There's a review of it this month in the absolute sound.  

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #173 of 205
As soon as my PayPal transfer clears my bank I'll be ordering one of these. It will act as my DAC (Via Coax from the AGD DI) at 24/192, and my player for my (re)growing CD collection. 

I'll be getting a few SACDs with it as well. Excited.

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #174 of 205
Congrats!  I think you will be happy.  Please keep us posted.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #175 of 205
I am very surprised that this $349 Musical Fidelity V-DAC MK-II sounds better than the SA8004.  I'm not even using the upgraded PSU from MF.  

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #176 of 205
I never expected the SA8004's DAC to be something to write home about. Can't say I'm too surprised. 

Quote:
I am very surprised that this $349 Musical Fidelity V-DAC MK-II sounds better than the SA8004.  I'm not even using the upgraded PSU from MF.  

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #177 of 205
Received my unit today. I missed delivery yesterday but picked it up at the location after work today. It's acting as my DAC, Amp, CD (and iPod) transport. 

Really an all in wonder unit. Loving it so far. Picked up a few SACDs that arrived today, too. 

The amp is about what I expected. Hitting 3 o clock with normal recordings and all the way up on quieter ones. Sounds nice but I'll be pairing it with a loaner LF in a few days...My body is ready.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #178 of 205

I have had no need for a DAC, since my circa 2000 Sony TA-E9000ES handles digital conversion: however, I'm impressed with  Musical Fidelity's digital processing products. It appears, they are offering high end for peanuts.  I've been thinking about getting their V-LINK USB to Toslink converter. At any rate, I'm not too impressed by the Marantz product being discussed here, from either a performance or value perspective. I too think the OPPO 95 pretty much owns the market today for SACD two channel playback. That it's also a multi-channel universal player is just icing on the cake. My decision now is between the OPPO 95 and a Sony SCD-XA5400ES. It's a tough call.

Quote:

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #179 of 205
One weird thing about the Marantz is that it seems to have a problem with the digital outs of a DirecTV HD-DVR, HR22 if you are interested in the model number.  There is an intermittent chirping sound when using either Toslink or spdif.  Digital outs from the HR22 into an older Marantz receiver (SR 8400) worked just fine.  Overall, I do like this player, and like it better than my Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3 with the X-PSU V3 upgraded power supply.  My Bolder modded Eastern Electric Minimax DAC beats the pants off the Marantz, though.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #180 of 205

Quote:
Received my unit today. I missed delivery yesterday but picked it up at the location after work today. It's acting as my DAC, Amp, CD (and iPod) transport. 

Really an all in wonder unit. Loving it so far. Picked up a few SACDs that arrived today, too. 

The amp is about what I expected. Hitting 3 o clock with normal recordings and all the way up on quieter ones. Sounds nice but I'll be pairing it with a loaner LF in a few days...My body is ready.

Any update on your new toy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back