New Macbook!
May 16, 2006 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
It looks simply amazing. Especially now that they have fixed that P/S adapter issue!

I haven't been up to date with technology so how are the new intel chips in the apples?
confused.gif

May 16, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
I haven't been up to date with technology so how are the new intel chips in the apples?
confused.gif

Macs now have exactly the same hardware as Windows notebooks, so yeah, they're a lot more powerful than the previous generation of Apples. The only concern seems to be poor assembly and QC by Apple, so occasional Macbooks will have overtemp issues.

Still, at these price points, Apple is looking good. Comparable pricing to Dell (well, Dell list price at least) with better styling and OS X capability.

May 16, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Macs now have exactly the same hardware as Windows notebooks, so yeah, they're a lot more powerful than the previous generation of Apples. The only concern seems to be poor assembly and QC by Apple, so occasional Macbooks will have overtemp issues.

Still, at these price points, Apple is looking good. Comparable pricing to Dell (well, Dell list price at least) with better styling and OS X capability.

My 17 inch powerbook heats like a mofo. Around 60 degress celsius if left on for ~3-4 hours.

May 16, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 9
I believe there's an issue with the powerbooks in that the heatsink thermal grease is applied incorrectly on a number of them resulting in raised temperatures.

May 16, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
I believe there's an issue with the powerbooks in that the heatsink thermal grease is applied incorrectly on a number of them resulting in raised temperatures.

yup, i guess you are in the know about macs =)

May 16, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood

My powerbook is older than 1 year and I'm not the original owner.

Can I take it to a nearby apple store to fix it or should I just use it to hell?
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 9
I haven't heard about the thermal paste issues with the old Powerbooks. I thought that those problems were limited to the current production MacBook Pros?

Anyways, your 17" Powerbook is an aluminum shelled model, and they're known to run hot and there's not much you can do about it. Earlier Powerbooks were titanium shelled with better heat dissipation, but Apple later went to aluminum for better finish durability and cost savings.

May 16, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 9
I'd recommend getting a laptop cooler just for general use if it's at a desk. (harder to be portable, though) I found having one really useful to keep the temperature down; the fan in the laptop never turns on now.

May 16, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
I haven't heard about the thermal paste issues with the old Powerbooks. I thought that those problems were limited to the current production MacBook Pros?

Anyways, your 17" Powerbook is an aluminum shelled model, and they're known to run hot and there's not much you can do about it. Earlier Powerbooks were titanium shelled with better heat dissipation, but Apple later went to aluminum for better finish durability and cost savings.

I suspect you're right, I have certainly heard it was one line of Apple laptops, although I'm not sure on the specific model. Anyways, I would suggest just leaving it, if it has been running fine for a while now it won't be in any danger anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back