New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Apr 15, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #661 of 1,112

With Daphile and M8, you have to tick the both Mixers Control and use bitperfect volume control.

Wow !!!  Thank you so much my friend !  It's work very well now ... and Daphile associated with the M8 delivers results beyond my expectations. I'm very happy !

Thank you for your help and have a nice week-end !

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #663 of 1,112
  I'm looking at PSU alternatives. $140 seems a lot to pay for the P1 given the original cost of the M8. Has anyone tried the HiFiMeDIY options including http://hifimediy.com/power-supplies/ready-made-power-supplies/0-to-32-adjustable-power-supply ($55) or even http://hifimediy.com/power-supplies/ready-made-power-supplies/PSM3plus-Power-supply-110V ($30). The latter is designed specifically for the Sabre DAC, is rated at only 8v, and is probably half way between the P1 and Walmart. I have also had it confirmed that it is linear so I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

I was thinking the same and this seems better to me since it's an ifi product and they claim it has much less noise than an LPS
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/
Costs $50

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #665 of 1,112
  I was thinking the same and this seems better to me since it's an ifi product and they claim it has much less noise than an LPS
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/
Costs $50

Wow, that looks like a very promising addition. Not too expensive either. The adjustable DC power supply that @lenroot77 linked also looks promising. Not sure how to go on about plugging it into the M8 though.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #666 of 1,112
  A late reply to the post by hpamdr regarding the auto shutdown annoyance:
I posted a hint plus short review "How to defeat the auto-off feature of the SMSL M8" on Amazon last month. Holding the power button down for two seconds will toggle this feature, and it is remembered between shutdowns. The M8 will power on if you disconnect/reconnect its power source, but turning off auto-standby renders this unnecessary. I also mentioned a BIOS feature my motherboard has, which can optionally cut power to two specific USB ports for externally powered DACs, such as the SMSL M8.
I am currently awaiting shipment on an iFi iPower variable output (inc. 9V) "audiophile" AC/DC adapter - not a Linear Power Supply, but supposedly has lower noise than a LPS, according to their website - http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/
It's around $50 from MusicDirect.com, but shipment estimate is 4-6 weeks. No word yet, and tomorrow is the 6-week mark since my order went through. I'll give it another week till I contact them.
[EDIT: Just got word it shipped today]

How did the iPower work out for you?

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #668 of 1,112

Wow, that looks like a very promising addition. Not too expensive either. The adjustable DC power supply that @lenroot77 linked also looks promising. Not sure how to go on about plugging it into the M8 though.

They offer a range of tips as accesories:
DC Adapters:
                   5.5×2.1mm input/5.5×2.5mm output (‘C’ black)
                   5.5×2.1mm input/4.8×1.7mm output (‘F’ black)
                   5.5×2.1mm input/4.0×1.7mm output (‘G’ black)
                   5.5×2.1mm input/3.5×1.35mm output (‘H’ black)
                   5.5×2.1mm right-angled extension cable.
                   5.5×2.1mm input/5.5×2.5mm output; Reverse Polarity Plug (‘C’ white)

And the performance is equal to a LPS if not better
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/04/13/ifi-ipower-for-the-raspberry-streamer/

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #669 of 1,112
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I just bought the smsl m8 DAC on massdrop and I'm wondering what is the best way to integrate it into my system. I have a Yamaha dsp 3090 receiver that has coaxial, optical, and rca line in. Which is the best option for best resolution?

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #670 of 1,112
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I just bought the smsl m8 DAC on massdrop and I'm wondering what is the best way to integrate it into my system. I have a Yamaha dsp 3090 receiver that has coaxial, optical, and rca line in. Which is the best option for best resolution?

The SMSL M8 is a DAC which converts a digital sound source to analog. You would connect your audio digital source (CD player digital output (coax), PC, dvd player (coax)) to one of the SMSL inputs (USB, coax, optical). Then the 2 x phono outputs on the SMSL to an analog input on the receiver (eg. CD).

You would then listen using the 'direct' playback settings on the receiver - looking at the manual you would need to set the 'effect' switch on the front panel to off.

If you use the 'effect' then the Yamaha will convert the analog signal output by the SMSL to digital, process it according to the selected sound effect, and then generate an analog signal for output to the speakers,. This defeats the value of the SMSL.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #672 of 1,112
Thanks for the help. I figured that I should use the rca line outs from the m8. If I were to use the optical or coax output from the m8 wouldn't the digital to analog conversion be handled by the receiver instead of the m8? Am I understanding this properly? Or are the coax and optical connections inputs only and there is no option for optical or coax out of the m8?

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #673 of 1,112
Thanks for the help. I figured that I should use the rca line outs from the m8. If I were to use the optical or coax output from the m8 wouldn't the digital to analog conversion be handled by the receiver instead of the m8? Am I understanding this properly? Or are the coax and optical connections inputs only and there is no option for optical or coax out of the m8?

The M8 only has RCA line out. The optical, coax, and USB are all inputs.

May 1, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #675 of 1,112
7 weeks in and still loving my M8.  My hodgepodge setup is:

PC->Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD->optical->SMSL M8->Yamaha CR-2040->CV dx9's

I've heard others talk about how hot the unit gets.  Mine stays cool.  I guess maybe because I just use optical thus not having to power the XMOS usb chip?  If that's the case then maybe the P1 isn't very useful at all with optical.  I don't know.

Found a paper on the filters Fast, Slow, and Mini roll off filters.  Left me perplexed why they have the selection there at all as these filters came about in an evolutionary fashion, and of course now I can't find the paper, but the short of it is that Mini is the latest filter, and later on we'll be seeing a 'Mini-Slow' filter as the next iteration iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back