New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
May 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #662 of 1,514
Congrats arnaud :) They look beautiful and sure thing, you do enjoy them staxes. If they are so trebley as they say, I'm interested also. If only could I afford them...

May 22, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #663 of 1,514
Purk: official price is jpy388,500 (or something very close to that, I am trying to forget the price and subsequently hole in my cc as soon as possible :wink:.

Yobobashi sells at msrp but you get 8 to 10% back as points elligible for the next purchase so it gets to the same price as other stores in Tokyo (~350,000). Considering the long wait time, it's not a bad idea to buy at the big retailers if they happen to have stock. BTW, Yobobashi has 3 units left it seems, my guess is they received 5 pairs last friday and already sold 2 pairs over the week end. My unit appears to be in the second batch assuming the first batch was 50 units.

Otherwise, listening to Vivaldi's 4 seasons now (another nice one from HD tracks: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD8011570338839 ), and this sounds sooooooo real. There's no much to say, nothing stands out as wrong, you just get transported there, forgetting you're listening to headphones. I think the comfort is improved over the 007 because the pads are softer, it does get warm though since it's leather skin, but not enough to bother me.

May 22, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #664 of 1,514
What were you saying? I thought it's bright and painful. 
wink.gif

Congrats for the score, Arnaud. I think I'm going to jump straight to the 009 and skip the 007 all-together unless Audez'e can come out with something better meanwhile. 

May 22, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #665 of 1,514

Quote:
What were you saying? I thought it's bright and painful. 
wink.gif

Congrats for the score, Arnaud. I think I'm going to jump straight to the 009 and skip the 007 all-together unless Audez'e can come out with something better meanwhile. 

hahaha, thanks :wink:. I'm now getting into my CD library, some rock music in particular and if the recording is decent, it is very lively and engaging but does not turn sour out of excess brightness.

Listening to a CD that probably nobody knows on this board (L'An Demain from Les Tetes Raides), it has both eletric and acoustic instruments and it sounds very punchy (can't resist tapping the foot!) but not harsh. I am relieved :wink:.

May 22, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #667 of 1,514
Forget the HD800 - inferior in every aspect - the only thing it has more is treble fatigue...
wink.gif

May 22, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #668 of 1,514
sweet looking cans! congrats man!

May 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #669 of 1,514

Quote:
Forget the HD800 - inferior in every aspect - the only thing it has more is treble fatigue...
wink.gif

It's quite difficult for me to compare the 009 to the HD800 as it's been a while since I've listened to the Sennheiser. But, at least in the bass register, I won't be as harsh as pachku. From what I remember, the HD800 shares similar qualities to the 009 such as a very textured (I mean the opposite of one note bass regardless of instrument / CD ), very controlled / tight, going low and with significant impact and no trace of mid-bass overbloom in the least.

The one thing though, the 009 might be going lower and might be even more impactful than the HD800, which is quite something for an electrostatic transducer (and driven by "just" a 727) ! Drums have a very very special rendering on the 009, it feels more like the real thing than any headphone I've owned or heard so far. Illustration: "Too Old to Die Young" on Bushman's Revenge "Jitterbug". Oh my, oh my , oh ...... 

May 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #670 of 1,514

Quote:
wink.gif

Hey pachku, do you still like the RWA Isabellina as a source for your BHSE->SR-009 combo?

May 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #671 of 1,514
Yes, I'm very happy with the Isabellina, I feel it is an excellent combo, and I can alternatively use as an amp it for the conventional headphones.

May 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #672 of 1,514

Quote:
SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! 

Mighty purty. How much is it in $USD, and where do you order it from?

Sorry for the redundant questions, I would really like a pair foe my BHKE SE.

Hitme with the sticker shocks, and then defib me, before I make the purchase. 
Last question: Do they want the money upfront or at they time of shipment? I'm interested in knowing how they fare against the Jades.

May 22, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #673 of 1,514

Quote:
Mighty purty. How much is it in $USD, and where do you order it from?

Sorry for the redundant questions, I would really like a pair foe my BHKE SE.

Hitme with the sticker shocks, and then defib me, before I make the purchase. 
Last question: Do they want the money upfront or at they time of shipment? I'm interested in knowing how they fare against the Jades.

Aaron, I have pre-ordered one from Elusive Disc at full MSRP, which is around $5,200 for the US model with US warranty.  Saving a few hundred bucks up front by ordering from foreign e-tailers just didn't seem to be worth the gamble for me, due to potential customs, shipping and in an unlikely event, warranty repair issues.  Shipping charges alone these days could easily offset those savings should there be any issue with the shipment.

I'm not in a hurry so I anticipate a July delivery or later.  And no, your credit card will not be charged until your order ships with them.

May 22, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #675 of 1,514

Quote:
It looks like you may be able to run the 009 at a high level of performance without the need for a mega-amp such as the BHSE.  That would make their
purchase much more do-able.

I've been insulted for saying this, BEWARE!! Basically, I can't imagine where such amp can take the 009 to. But certainly, the 727 - even in stock form - seems to be pretty decent at driving them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back