New Liquid Lightning Release for Fall 2014
Aug 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

runeight

Member of the Trade: Cavalli Audio
Hello folks.

We are announcing the next release of Liquid Lightning for availability after RMAF in November. There are some new features of this amp which are fairly cool and which have been under development for a while. You can read more here:

http://cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=morestuff&stuffId=13

We are calling the amp LL2T for either version. The tube version was called Liquid Silk as our internal project name, but this name has been retired.

Some new things with this release:

1. The amp is now available in either SS or Tube hybrid. The tube hybrid version was first shown at RMAF 2013.
2. Processor-controlled, optically-coupled, volume control (eliminating the volume extension shaft and providing better tracking).
3. New, more efficient PS.
4. Heater delay on the hybrid which waits for the tubes to be fully conducting before applying rails.

The amp (either version) is otherwise the same construction as the LL2 with machined aluminum side panels, engraved stealth black front panel, custom CA output jacks, 3 front panel selectable inputs, etc.

Reservations are open.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 28
Separately from the announcement, the tube hybrid version is currently out for review with Headfonics:

http://www.headfonics.com

I believe the full review will appear in a few weeks, but Michael may have some comments/photos in the meantime.
smile.gif

Edit: Michael gave me this link to the FB page for preliminary info:

https://www.facebook.com/headfonics/posts/871418399552530

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 28
This is one seriously beautiful amp. I tried an early version of the tube hybrid variant at the SF Bay meet in February and if I was still in the stat game I'd be jumping on the reservation list :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 28
Keeping this thread on track, congrats Alex. I had heard a very early prototype at RMAF but it has been through many revisions since that time and from what Alex has told me, this is an amp I have got to hear. He believes it may even swing me away from my love of planar magnetics :) , that will have to be seen to be believed. 

This amp could have been given a new name as it is a different amp conceptually but I think keeping the Liquid Lightning name and differentiating it as unique by stating it is a tube amp is part of the whole understated Cavalli experience. ie this is not another release of the old LL , and LLmkII is still being produced. 

Many cool things about this amp and as I know Alex on a personal level, his ever critical eye is always looking for ways to improve even when everything appears perfect. The sunken tube cages particularly appeal to my aesthetic preference. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 28
Hello gents. Seeing some of the comments, I think I didn't explain one aspect of the new amp well enough.

We have redesigned the interior so that the LL2 enclosure will support either the LL2 or the LL2 Tube amp. Both  are available in this production run. You can choose at reservation time and our production process can handle either.

Both amps get the new volume control and, of course, they use the same power supply. The tube amp has the additional heater supply.

So the LL2 hasn't gone away. It's still available. We've just added a tube version too. :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 28
Interesting, but what year did the LLmk1 come out ?

Earlier I made a "FTFY" comment about the BHSE in response to this. I think that was unfair.

I do think highly of the BHSE built, and respect Justin's efforts quite a bit.

I'm not into stats, but I think very highly of the LLmk1. I have not heard as of yet an LLmk2, but I'm sure the time will come and I don't think it will disappoint.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 28
Interesting, but what year did the LLmk1 come out ?

Earlier I made a "FTFY" comment about the BHSE in response to this. I think that was unfair.

I do think highly of the BHSE built, and respect Justin's efforts quite a bit.

I'm not into stats, but I think very highly of the LLmk1. I have not heard as of yet an LLmk2, but I'm sure the time will come and I don't think it will disappoint.

I believe your FTFY post was in reply to a post Golfnutz wrote, but seeing those posts have been removed we'll never know.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 28
I trust the iron grip of the Stax plugs has been fixed.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 28
I believe your FTFY post was in reply to a post Golfnutz wrote, but seeing those posts have been removed we'll never know.

Correct. Something about the BHSE having a lot of orders vs long lead times. The BHSE is a great amp, though I personally preferred the LLmk1 with the 009. The 007 might pair better with the BHSE, but did not compared that combo back to back.

While I'm not into stats currently, I would like to make this post a little more relevant to the LL2mk2. According to Cavalli's own website:

For the (I think) original SS LLmk2, and according to Cavalli's webpage:

400V Rails / 1600Vpp
Bias - Jack #1 580V, Jack #2 580V, 500V or 540V

Measurements

Measurements on the new amp are basically the same as below. We'll post these as soon as we get the amps back from reviewers.
We have asked Avenson Audio to do THD+N measurements on the LL2. Here are the results.
Equipment: Prism DScope Series III.
Signal path:Balanced input #1 (going through the input switching network).
Input: 1kHz at -13.1dbV to generate 100VRMS peak (280Vpp) output voltage (the way Stax reports on their amps).
Load:100pf plus approximately 20pf || 200k from equipment (120pf total).
See table in lower left for math (measurements are RMS).

I know some may find the THD numbers hard to believe at room temperature... But a transparent-fi dynamic O2 amp seems to pull 0.0016% THD into 150 ohms at room temperature, so while not certain, I don't think those numbers would require to put the amp in the freezer. The -140 dBr noise floor seems reasonable to me as well.

Dunno what the numbers are for the latest LLmk2 iteration.

Would also like to hear more details on the photo resistor volume control and how it improves performance.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 28
I agree, nice to see this thread back on track.

Like everyone else posting here, I hope this new design brings as much joy to any potential buyer just like the LLmk1 and LLmk2 did.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 28
  Hello folks.

We are announcing the next release of Liquid Lightning for availability after RMAF in November. There are some new features of this amp which are fairly cool and which have been under development for a while. You can read more here:

http://cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=morestuff&stuffId=13

We are calling the amp LL2T for either version. The tube version was called Liquid Silk as our internal project name, but this name has been retired.

Some new things with this release:

1. The amp is now available in either SS or Tube hybrid. The tube hybrid version was first shown at RMAF 2013.
2. Processor-controlled, optically-coupled, volume control (eliminating the volume extension shaft and providing better tracking).
3. New, more efficient PS.
4. Heater delay on the hybrid which waits for the tubes to be fully conducting before applying rails.

The amp (either version) is otherwise the same construction as the LL2 with machined aluminum side panels, engraved stealth black front panel, custom CA output jacks, 3 front panel selectable inputs, etc.

Reservations are open.

I'm a little confused.  On the web site it says the "T" in LL2T stands for Tubes - correct?  Here you say the LL2T is for either version.  So if I order the SS version of this amp, it will be LL2 and not LL2T?

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #15 of 28
I see that the naming explanation was not so good.
smile.gif

LL2T stands for either version, because either can be built in the same chassis with many of the same components. The "T" really meant that the LL2 was extended to include a tube version.

That's correct, SS amp is the LL2 with the other new features - volume control, new PS...

I'll make some annotations on the website to try to make this clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back