New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Oct 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #541 of 2,354
Quote:
Are you saying the new note 2 wont work with usb dacs like the gs3 does??
angry_face.gif

No, I'm not.

The Pico works fine with US S3s, but not international ones (it does work with international ones via a powered USB hub, but that doesn't interest me as part of my portable rig). This was already known, and it seems the Note 2, being based on the Exynos SoC has the same problem with the Pico. It is the only USB DAC I am aware of that works with some S3s and not others.

The Leckteron is confirmed working with the International S3, which is why I want to get it, as it should work fine with my Note 2.

USB audio is definitely working on the Note 2, as it does in the S3, it just doesn't play nicely with the Pico (sadly).

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #542 of 2,354
No, I'm not.

The Pico works fine with US S3s, but not international ones (it does work with international ones via a powered USB hub, but that doesn't interest me as part of my portable rig). This was already known, and it seems the Note 2, being based on the Exynos SoC has the same problem with the Pico. It is the only USB DAC I am aware of that works with some S3s and not others.

The Leckteron is confirmed working with the International S3, which is why I want to get it, as it should work fine with my Note 2.

USB audio is definitely working on the Note 2, as it does in the S3, it just doesn't play nicely with the Pico (sadly).

Thats good to hear that the note 2 supports it, do you know of any other smartphone other than the note 2 and g23 that support usb dacs?

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #544 of 2,354
Quote:
Thats good to hear that the note 2 supports it, do you know of any other smartphone other than the note 2 and g23 that support usb dacs?

None at this stage that I'm aware of (the iPhone can work with certain DACs, but not a standard type implementation like the S3/Note 2).

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #546 of 2,354
I got my UHA-6S.MKII today, and I confirm it works perfectly with my International S3 :)

I'm quite satisfied with my new portable rig:
S3 -> OTG USB -> UHA-6S.MKII -> Westone 4r

Awesome! Just the news I was looking for. Now I just have an excruciating wait until I can order one myself.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #549 of 2,354
Does anyone know when using the UHA-6S.MKII with optical S/PDIF from my laptop, which DAC is being used? Is it the built-in laptop DAC or the UHA-6S.MKII DAC (Cirrus Logic)?
When using the UHA-6S.MKII via USB it clearly states USB DAC under Playback Devices, but when using S/PDIF it says HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #550 of 2,354
Does anyone know when using the UHA-6S.MKII with optical S/PDIF from my laptop, which DAC is being used? Is it the built-in laptop DAC or the UHA-6S.MKII DAC (Cirrus Logic)?
When using the UHA-6S.MKII via USB it clearly states USB DAC under Playback Devices, but when using S/PDIF it says HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO.

I would think it's the Leckerton DAC in both cases - via USB it only does up to 16bit sound (deliberate decision by Leckerton for maximum compatibility with portable devices), whereas from a PC or similar it does up to 24bit sound. I think that probably accounts for the difference in how your computer registers it.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #551 of 2,354
Quote:

It should be the Leckerton that is being used.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #552 of 2,354
Quote:
I would think it's the Leckerton DAC in both cases - via USB it only does up to 16bit sound (deliberate decision by Leckerton for maximum compatibility with portable devices), whereas from a PC or similar it does up to 24bit sound. I think that probably accounts for the difference in how your computer registers it.

Ok, now I'm a little confused. Are you saying: laptop usb to Leckerton is limited to 16 bit? Or Android to Leckerton USB is limited to 16 bit.  I knew Android was limited. Spdif will go 24 from PC. True dat.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #553 of 2,354
Quote:
Ok, now I'm a little confused. Are you saying: laptop usb to Leckerton is limited to 16 bit? Or Android to Leckerton USB is limited to 16 bit.  I knew Android was limited. Spdif will go 24 from PC. True dat.

If you plug your UHA6 MKII into your PC via USB it is limited to 16/44 or is it 16/48. If you plug it in via Optical or Coaxil it will play up to 24/96 files bit for bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back