New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Oct 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #496 of 2,354
Quote:
I think DanyBai has the ALO MKIII so I'd love to hear him chime in on how vast the differenes between these amps are. At least from what I've heard the UHA6 MKII isn't far from it at all, considering the ALO is more than double its price tag.

I haven't listened to either amp in awhile.  I haven't even tried the 627 op amp in the Leckerton yet.  I'll give it a go this weekend.  

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #498 of 2,354
Or to the Portaphile 627?

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #499 of 2,354
It came in the mail today and was very excited to use it but I realized to my dismay I don't have a interconnect yet so I can't use it! :mad: Got to get some silver poison interconnects soon so I can use this sexy machine.:L3000:

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #500 of 2,354
OMG! Major suckage! Please let us know what you get for interconnects and what you think of your new Leck.

Also, what is your source? I'm looking at the Leck also and the Portaphile 627
gs1000.gif

TIA - Rich

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #503 of 2,354
Agree; however, Cesar Aguilera (who makes the Portafile 627) is only 10 minutes away from me so I'm going to audition his product.

I've never had the opportunity to actually sit down and talk with an audio manufacturer before...
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #504 of 2,354
Agree; however, Cesar Aguilera (who makes the Portafile 627) is only 10 minutes away from me so I'm going to audition his product.

I've never had the opportunity to actually sit down and talk with an audio manufacturer before...:smile:

That is really neat , maybe you can get a discount? :D hahahaha

I actually did get to listen to the leck today, I found this unnecessarily long interconnect lying around the house that I hope to replace with some silver poisons, sooner better than later. First impressions after listening to it fresh out of the box is that it is wonderfully transparent, it presents everything in the passage with ease, before I got this amp things just sounded "congested", especially in more hectic passages, but with the leck the music flowed naturally with more space around things, more room for everything to "breathe" it really is quite amazing. I thought the gr07s couldn't get any better! :dt880smile:
I was afraid that the amp would introduce some noise to my listening experience, but the leck is dead black inky silent, very very pleased. This is definately the best audio purchase I have ever made other than the gr07. Next stop fitear tg334! :bigsmile_face:

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #506 of 2,354
Did some comparisons with the Leckerton vs ALO MK3 today using the HE500 and ODAC.  (Bass knob on the MK3 turned off)

Power:  I was able to get plenty of volume with both amps on low gain.  The volume was cranked all the way but it was loud enough.  Using high gain with the Leckerton, about half way was max point before it was too loud.  If I went 3/4 of the way, it started clipping.  With the MK3 on medium gain, half way was almost too loud.  Cranking all the way on medium gain, no clipping or distortion was heard.  On high gain with the MK3, 1/4 was loud enough and as I got close to 1/2 volume, it started distorting.  

Sound:  Bass is a little tighter on the MK3, vocals are slightly more forward, has more treble energy.  MK3 has a wider and deeper soundstage.  Clarity and details in music are more present through the MK3.  The differences aren't large by any means but noticeable.  For the price difference, the Leckerton is a winner for what it does compared to the one of the priciest/highly regarded portable amps out there.

Tomorrow, I'll use the Leckerton as the DAC and compare the amps to see if the differences are even less.  I will also throw the Miracles in the mix.  

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #507 of 2,354
Quote:
Did some comparisons with the Leckerton vs ALO MK3 today using the HE500 and ODAC.  (Bass knob on the MK3 turned off)

Power:  I was able to get plenty of volume with both amps on low gain.  The volume was cranked all the way but it was loud enough.  Using high gain with the Leckerton, about half way was max point before it was too loud.  If I went 3/4 of the way, it started clipping.  With the MK3 on medium gain, half way was almost too loud.  Cranking all the way on medium gain, no clipping or distortion was heard.  On high gain with the MK3, 1/4 was loud enough and as I got close to 1/2 volume, it started distorting.  

Sound:  Bass is a little tighter on the MK3, vocals are slightly more forward, has more treble energy.  MK3 has a wider and deeper soundstage.  Clarity and details in music are more present through the MK3.  The differences aren't large by any means but noticeable.  For the price difference, the Leckerton is a winner for what it does compared to the one of the priciest/highly regarded portable amps out there.

Tomorrow, I'll use the Leckerton as the DAC and compare the amps to see if the differences are even less.  I will also throw the Miracles in the mix.  

Nice impressions, thanks for taking the time to A/B and keep us posted on your future findings fellow bopper.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #508 of 2,354
Oct 7, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #509 of 2,354
Quote:

Awesome Dannybai. Have you ever had an opportunity to compare it to the Triad L3? I wanna hear more impressions between these amps. Also seems the Triad benefits greatly from a dedicated power supply.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #510 of 2,354

If the uha-6s mkii had ANY noise at all I would put it up for sale in a heartbeat, I just can't stand it. I was going to buy an alo rx mk3 but read about its noise which was a problem even after people had the gain lowered, so I decided to get the leck instead, saved a few benjamins while I was at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back