New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Sep 5, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #422 of 2,354
Via Coaxil/Toslink the DAC will yield more potential over USB. The DAC is quite good considering the asking price. The Amp section however is superior to the DAC section IMO. I am comparing this DAC to my DACport LX so not really a fair comparison. However the DAC alone is superior to that in the iphone products IMO. At least it sounds better to these ears.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #423 of 2,354
I bought a toslink cable for the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII and am enjoying it. Glad I happened upon this thread and wound up with the MKII.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #425 of 2,354
Quote:
I am really interested in this! I read about how great the amp is, but how does the DAC fare? Any comparison? Any difference in USB or TOSLINK?

The USB is 16/48 and SPDIF is 24/96. There is a noticeable difference in sound when you use one over the other. You can get a basic TOSLINK to mini-TOSLINK cable on Amazon for around $8 that will work with something like a Mac's optical out. Normal TOSLINK cables are similarly priced.

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #426 of 2,354
Just jail broke my 4S added the Cydia camera connection tweak and successfully have my iPhone 4S working with the camera connection kit into my UHA-6S MKII. Sounds awesome. It can be done! Why apple doesn't allow this I don't know. I do know I won't be buying an iPad mini.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #427 of 2,354
Nice. So can this be done to the ipod touch as well? Digital Freak said he tried and it didn't work. I'm wondering if the plug he got is wrong.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #428 of 2,354
I'm under DAC attack and it's cleaned my ear canals.  Got a nice 2nd hand (2 week old) Bel Canto c5i the other day BUT is has no real grunt as an HP amp sooooo I have hooked it up to my B&W PM1s and PV1 sub and digital out from my iPad and I thought that we good.  Then my Leckerton arrived today and that's even another step up and it defies the laws of physics in terms of the aural wallop that it delivers per gram of weight / cm cubed of size.  Hanging out for my Pan Am to arrive next week along with my Marty custom woodies and then I'll do a comparative.  Just getting the right mix of cables sorted now - and pouring a nice glass of 3 of kiwi sav blanc while the sounds 'massage my ears'.  I don't think I had better buy any more gear for a while because my wife is starting to question the stream of parcels arriving at the door.  Then again she did find it hard to understand how I could be excited about receiving such a small thing in the Post - Leckerton that is.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #430 of 2,354
Ordered one of these a while back.  Judging by the UPS tracking site, it's taken over a week for the package to make it from Austin to Chicago.  Hopefully the tracking site is just slow and it's already further on its way to Amsterdam.

Can't wait for it to arrive.  Also ordered a S/PDIF cable to use from my laptop.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #431 of 2,354
I am thinking about purchasing the UHA-6S even tho I already have a FiiO 11 & an Amped Up cmoy.

I run Siri out the hp jack into one of the amps and out to an AKG K-271MkII, a B&O P5 or a HiFiMan HE-300.

Please excuse my apparent n00bieness for the following:

Would I obtain better sq using an LOD cable and\or different hp cables? I've seen an LOD for >1C & a Cardas Fat Pipe (fit's my AKG) for >2C! I've also heard that Siri's DAC may be bypassed depending if one is using the hp jack or an LOD.

Do the cables  and source output really make a difference?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated - Rich

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #432 of 2,354
Quote:
I am thinking about purchasing the UHA-6S even tho I already have a FiiO 11 & an Amped Up cmoy.

I run Siri out the hp jack into one of the amps and out to an AKG K-271MkII, a B&O P5 or a HiFiMan HE-300.

Please excuse my apparent n00bieness for the following:

Would I obtain better sq using an LOD cable and\or different hp cables? I've seen an LOD for >1C & a Cardas Fat Pipe (fit's my AKG) for >2C! I've also heard that Siri's DAC may be bypassed depending if one is using the hp jack or an LOD.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated - Rich

Are you planning on buying it used because Leckerton doesn't offer that model anymore. They replaced it with the UHA6 MKII. What will you be using the UHA6 with? If to your computer then it will be using the DAC inside the unit. If to an ipod you will be bypassing the DAC for the one in the ipod. Unless you jail-break it and use the camera adapter into the UHA6. The older UHA6 would also have to be modded for this feature (unless it was done by Nick already, normally used on the ipad in this manner however).

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #433 of 2,354
Quote:

Are you planning on buying it used because Leckerton doesn't offer that model anymore. They replaced it with the UHA6 MKII. What will you be using the UHA6 with? If to your computer then it will be using the DAC inside the unit. If to an ipod you will be bypassing the DAC for the one in the ipod. Unless you jail-break it and use the camera adapter into the UHA6. The older UHA6 would also have to be modded for this feature (unless it was done by Nick already, normally used on the ipad in this manner however).

lee730, ty 4 the response.

My bad; meant the UHA6 MKII. I will be using an iPhone 4s. DNW to jailbreak it and poss brick my phone:frowning2:

So the iPhone's LOD would not bypass the internal DAC unless jailbroke? Does the out make any difference in the sq anyway; hp or LOD?

I understand the MKII has an excellent DAC (as well as amp); would just like to take advantage of it:)

TIA - Rich

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #434 of 2,354
You won't be using the DAC on the UHA6 MKII unless you jailbreak you phone. You'll be only using the Amp section on the UHA6 MKII which will still sound significantly better than the phones HO.  If you were to use both the DAC and Amp section you would get even better sound.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #435 of 2,354
Quote:

In my opinion the money is better spent on better headphones (or amp/dac/whatever for that matter) than on cables...

The DAC part of the Leckerton is without Jailbreak only usable with the iPad + camera connection kit as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back