new *ksc35 - px100/200 - portapro/sportapro* headphones
Apr 4, 2003 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
ok i have the ksc35 and currently they are my only decent headphones, i really like them but using them constantly i find them to be fatiguing (sp?). my source is a sony D-25s and i did put on a few pairs of cheapie headphones just to make sure it wasn't the brightness of the source. i miss the HD600 ...and corda ha-1 but...its gonna be a long while before i get those again

anyways, just wondering if someone with the ksc35 can comment on the px100 or 200 and the portapro and sportapro

and yes i have read tons of comments on these already

the only use for headphones i will get will be listening in my room from my D-25s...until i get an amp and then a better source.....right now i can not spend more than $50 on headphones

ray

Apr 4, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 12
Koss uses the same driver as the KSC-35s for the Portapro and Sportapro as well as several other of their models. Since all those are open models, they'll probably sound similar.

If you're into DIY, you might be interested in building a crossfeed circuit. Check out this article for construction detail as well as a description of the results.

Several commercial headphone amps have a crossfeed circuit built in, but it looks like that's out of your price range.

Apr 4, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 12
ksc-35s + ety er4p->4s cable + portable meta42 = heaven.

too bad that portable meta belonged to stuartr and had to be returned at the end of the meet.

Apr 4, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 12
In what sense do you find the KSC35 fatiguing (physical pressure, acoustically)? The PX100 might offer you some relief, since it does not clip on the ears and the sound is somewhat less bright than the KSC35.

How about trying the Sennheiser HD497? It can be had for about $50 at Amazon, and will get even more out of your portable than the KSC35, or any of the other headphones you've mentioned. Some people find it uncomfortable, but for me that has not been a problem.

Apr 4, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 12
Hi Ray:

You may want to look at the SR40. I do understand that Grados are known for their bright and foward sound.. But I found that the drivers + pads + housing makes quite a good combo. Its just like the SR80 I had before, but tuned down a tad bit. It has a nice wide soundstage as well.

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 12
The SR 40's can be bought HERE for $38.70 including S&H..I already checked for WY. ($8.95)

Other good stuff at the site as well.

S.S.

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 12
well i had the HD497 and they just didn't impress me that much, i guess the ksc-35s have just gotten old to my ears and i want something new, a change, i've never tried grados..so that might be a shot....i don't think the fit of the ksc-35 bothers me that much i just miss having headphones that are a little snug, i think maybe the openess of the ksc-35 , being that i tend to here bits and pieces of other sound kinda bugs me i don't know, i think i've just grown tired of them...which i didn't think was possible

thanks for the replies guys
ray

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Ray, I think you should give the SR40 a listen. Do a search here and you'll find a lot of people are happy with them. Esp. in the NY meet.

Apr 5, 2003 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 12
w0w, you find the ksc-35's fatiguing? i find that they are missing a whole chunk of the upper mids, and really sound quite dull and muffled, well with pop anyway. most classical is ok, although sometimes violins and other stuff seem a bit recessed.

i didnt notice it until i got the hp890's, which have too many upper mids (for some pop stuff they can seem overly sibilant and bright, although probably 75% of stuff is fine). but still, when im listening through the pc, this the eq setting for the koss i use. the 4k makes a huge improvement i find:

eq_ksc35.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back