New kid looking for some IEMs
Jan 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would actually like to know the answer to this. Which is the best file format, that isn't lossless. At the moment I am using a mix of AAC, and MP3, both at rates of 200+kbps. Does it really matter that much?

If I was worried about minimum potential for artifacts, I'd probably go with 320 kbps MP3 encoded by LAME for compatibility purposes.

High bitrate AAC/Ogg Vorbis/Musepack would be marginally less likely to have artifacts, but they also have less compatibility, especially with portable audio hardware.

On the other hand, it probably doesn't matter much with anything above about 192 kbps VBR, and I'm perfectly happy with -q.5 ("160 kbps VBR") Ogg Vorbis.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 36
Thanks for all the suggestions - sorry for the delay in doing research but I finished looking at everything. Here is a list of what I liked and did not like (based on reading reviews from sites like headroom and Trustedreviews that produce 3-5 page reviews considering value, design, SQ, and isolation).

THE BAD:
Denon C700
NuForce NE-7M
Etymotic ER4p
Denon AH - C751
Denon AH-C551
Yuin OK3
Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 200
NuForce NE-8
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 4
Yuin OK2
Head Direct RE1
Head Direct RE0

THE GOOD:
Head Direct RE2
Etymotic ER6i
M-Audio IE - 10
Shure E2C
Westone UM1

After loads of reading, those are the IEMs I liked. If you couldn't infer from my avatar, I listen to a lot of rock, ranging from Foo Fighters to Killswitch Engage. I do, however, listen to some hip hop/rap (DJ Format, Jurassic 5), and electronica (the Prodigy) so I would like as balanced, diverse, an IEM as possible.

Feel free to challenge any of my decisions I'm still very open minded to suggestions. Please keep the suggestions under or around $100 ($5-$10 over is okay) though - a lot of the "bad" list was ruled out because of price (although I still did read reviews just to get an idea of what prices offer what).

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions - sorry for the delay in doing research but I finished looking at everything. Here is a list of what I liked and did not like (based on reading reviews from sites like headroom and Trustedreviews that produce 3-5 page reviews considering value, design, SQ, and isolation).

THE BAD:
Denon C700
NuForce NE-7M
Etymotic ER4p
Denon AH - C751
Denon AH-C551
Yuin OK3
Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 200
NuForce NE-8
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 4
Yuin OK2
Head Direct RE1
Head Direct RE0

THE GOOD:
Head Direct RE2
Etymotic ER6i
M-Audio IE - 10
Shure E2C
Westone UM1

After loads of reading, those are the IEMs I liked. If you couldn't infer from my avatar, I listen to a lot of rock, ranging from Foo Fighters to Killswitch Engage. I do, however, listen to some hip hop/rap (DJ Format, Jurassic 5), and electronica (the Prodigy) so I would like as balanced, diverse, IEM as possible.

I wouldn't consider the ER6i's good for rock. hip hop or electronica.

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 36
Ultimate Ears Super fi 3 or Etymotic Er6i's. Shure Se110, Klipsch custom-1 . All in your price range, just see which one will be more comfortable and give you the sound signature you want.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultimate Ears Super fi 3 or Etymotic Er6i's. Shure Se110, Klipsch custom-1 . All in your price range, just see which one will be more comfortable and give you the sound signature you want.

The Shure SCL4 white at $80 will be far superior to the SE110 or the UE SF.3.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

THE GOOD:
Head Direct RE2
Etymotic ER6i
M-Audio IE - 10
Shure E2C
Westone UM1

After loads of reading, those are the IEMs I liked. If you couldn't infer from my avatar, I listen to a lot of rock, ranging from Foo Fighters to Killswitch Engage. I do, however, listen to some hip hop/rap (DJ Format, Jurassic 5), and electronica (the Prodigy) so I would like as balanced, diverse, an IEM as possible.

Feel free to challenge any of my decisions I'm still very open minded to suggestions. Please keep the suggestions under or around $100 ($5-$10 over is okay) though - a lot of the "bad" list was ruled out because of price (although I still did read reviews just to get an idea of what prices offer what).

At $80 the Shure SCL4 from guitarcenter.com would be a good bet over the E2C. The usually run $180-$249.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #24 of 36
i have the IE-10's i like them a lot for electronica, rock.
for example basshunters/ma.bra sounds awesome with my headphones. as well, indie (indie playlists) and senses fail sound very nice.

the headphones take time getting used to in terms of comfort, but once you become adept at putting them on, its as if they weren't there. the only downside is that you need two in at once, to maintain a balance (in terms of gravitation force) between them. hopes this helps.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #25 of 36
so guitar center is having a sale on the SCL4s for like $80 when they normally go for about $200? Im pretty sure theyd beat out anything at that price then

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #26 of 36
sorry for the double post, but I have a question: where is a good store to buy headphones at?
Best buy and Radioshack had hardly any selection and didnt carry any of the ones i wanted - I went there today

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would actually like to know the answer to this. Which is the best file format, that isn't lossless. At the moment I am using a mix of AAC, and MP3, both at rates of 200+kbps. Does it really matter that much?

Variable Bit Rate, like OGG, WMA, etc. VBR 200kbps is entry level good quality. VBR 400kbps is practically the same as lossless.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

sorry for the double post, but I have a question: where is a good store to buy headphones at?
Best buy and Radioshack had hardly any selection and didnt carry any of the ones i wanted - I went there today

To get good performance to value phones, you are going to have to buy online for the most part. Not gonna find the best phones on the varied lists in stores. Places like Amazon, earphonesolutions, Head-Direct.com, soundearphones.com, etc. I see your "good" list includes the UM1s. I have owned a ton of mid-priced IEMs, and the UM1, while comfortable, was shipped back within a week. Way too dark/muddy, detail not there (IMO).

ER4P is bad, but er6i is good? Is that just because of cost?

Also, are the Yuins on the bad list because they are ear buds? If so, fine. If not, consider the Yuin PK3s because they are a great value.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #30 of 36
I suggest you try Sennheiser CX300 - dirty cheap these days, may that would be just enough. Plus you can always spend money left in titties-bar*)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back