New JVC HA-FX34 Marshmallows
Feb 3, 2008 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Melv01

New Head-Fier
Hi

Does anyone know when in February the new JVC HA-FX34 Marshmallows are due to be released? Searching on Amazon.com it only says that they "usually ship in 1 -2 months", and they aren't even listed on Amazon.co.uk here in Britain. Can't see anything on JVC's website either that specifies a release date other than "The JVC HA-FX34 Marshmallow will be available in February 2008 at a nationally advertised value of $20.00."

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 14
any pics or links?

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 14
ahh i found a link to a picture..they look the same, just different color and hopefully different sound...as for when they go into the uk, I have no idea.

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 14
I hope it's more comfortable, I just picked up a pair of 33's
Sounding better would be a bonus!
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 14
^ Look for Kramer modded as the topic. I can't seem to find it ATM, but that's what it's typically called...

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 14
Yep, that's the one.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 14
In the US, Wal-Mart has these now for $19.88. I grabbed a pair. Mine seem to suffer from the same problem described here for the FX-33. I did the kramer mod, but with poly fill instead of foam. It greatly improved the midrange hump. It's still not totally tamed, but much more listenable. I still have some more experimentation to do with this mod.

I also did want to say that these buds (after the kramer mod) have changed my opinion of earbuds overall. I had given up on earbuds as a whole because every pair I had tried sounded like I was listening to an old pair of paper cone studio monitors from the 80's, with muffled mids, trumpety treble, and NO BASS.

Out of the box these have insane bass. Using a bass test album, they don't hit the 8hz they're rated down to, (They're rated 8hz-23,000hz) but they probably go to 15hz or so. The treble actually has a hint of detail, but the mids have a really bad peak around 3khz that is piercing, and unlistenable really. After doing the kramer mod, they're like a totally different pair.... Smoother treble with slightly more detail, less of a midrange hump, and less emphasis on the bass. Can't wait to get my hands on some softer foam and try that way.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cam94z28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the US, Wal-Mart has these now for $19.88. I grabbed a pair. Mine seem to suffer from the same problem described here for the FX-33. I did the kramer mod, but with poly fill instead of foam. It greatly improved the midrange hump. It's still not totally tamed, but much more listenable. I still have some more experimentation to do with this mod.

I also did want to say that these buds (after the kramer mod) have changed my opinion of earbuds overall. I had given up on earbuds as a whole because every pair I had tried sounded like I was listening to an old pair of paper cone studio monitors from the 80's, with muffled mids, trumpety treble, and NO BASS.

Out of the box these have insane bass. Using a bass test album, they don't hit the 8hz they're rated down to, (They're rated 8hz-23,000hz) but they probably go to 15hz or so. The treble actually has a hint of detail, but the mids have a really bad peak around 3khz that is piercing, and unlistenable really. After doing the kramer mod, they're like a totally different pair.... Smoother treble with slightly more detail, less of a midrange hump, and less emphasis on the bass. Can't wait to get my hands on some softer foam and try that way.

well said, many people here discount the marshmallows without modding / only doing half the mod (removing/poking the paper film) and don't even try adding foam. foam is the key to making them sound good, i find i had to add more foam than i would've imagined. i thought i just needed to fill the space, but i find compacting RS's foams got rid of the upper midrange hump and brought out the treble and made it so much better. that and probably way over 1000 hours of burnin.

im sad to see the fx33's go, i've heard bad things about t he fx34's but i think i will pick one up in case my ol' fx33 gets messed up because i treat them like ****. most concerns is the added bass (possibly due to the shorter tips?), but covering the bass ports should remove some of it AND add more isolation! otherwise, added bass is a plus for noisy environments, because no matter the freqeuncy of the noise, the bass seems to get covered up the most and needs to be eq'd

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 14
I got these about 6 months ago

Just got the bright idea to search head-fi for information concerning them... and to post my impressions

* Holy **** *
These are absolutely ridiculous for ~$10
A quick google search turns up multiple stores selling them for $9

These are definitely giant killers
It's very hard to justify expensive IEMs over these
Anyone who wants a cheap but quality solution for on-the-go hip hop or pop music should definitely give these a serious consideration

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
These are definitely giant killers
It's very hard to justify expensive IEMs over these
Anyone who wants a cheap but quality solution for on-the-go hip hop or pop music should definitely give these a serious consideration
Yep. When I got my Ultimate Ears Super Fi.4 I was expecting sound at least as good as the HAFX34......I rarely pull out the Super.Fi 4.
frown.gif
Needless to say I found these for dirt cheap at  a local discount store and bought everything they had.
I have some very nice full size cans......and these iems amaze me every time I listen to them with any genre of music.
I still have to put in some extra foam since I only have a liver in there.
I'm keeping one pair without the foam so I can do an A/B comparison everytime I add a larger piece of foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back