new joanna newsom album a glimmer of hope in loudness war?
Feb 25, 2010 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheWuss

Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
i just bought the new joanna newsom album yesterday, and was very pleasantly surprised with the sound quality.
generally, her other two records sound pretty nice, too. but this one has a very open and natural sound.

it's really pretty special how much dynamic range this record has. when a new instrument is introduced, it is simply "added on" to the other sounds. and very little noticeable squeezing of the other sounds to accommodate the newly introduced instrument.

looking at the wave file, there's only a couple moments in each song that don't have at least a decibel or two of head room. and from the appearance of things, complex sections appear to have 2x the amplitude of simpler sections, etc.

a breath of fresh air. and highly recommended for all you head-fiers who are looking for a new audiophile record.

oh... here i am so concerned with describing the audio, that i haven't even mentioned the music.
icon10.gif

well, joanna is a harpist and folk singer. and her voice has been called an "acquired taste" by some.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 4
It's a general rule of thumb that harpist/folk-singers are going to be less loudnessed than, say, the punk band down the street.

Post us the waveform so we can see how good it really is!

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh... here i am so concerned with describing the audio, that i haven't even mentioned the music.
icon10.gif

well, joanna is a harpist and folk singer. and her voice has been called an "acquired taste" by some.

You may be an audiophile.
floatsmile.png

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Meh, I'm just envious because it isn't yet released in the UK!! Have to wait until Monday. Thanks for the insight though, looking forward to it. I didn't think that the album would suffer from any sound quality issues. I wonder if it was recorded in analogue, like Ys was (I think)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back