New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jan 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #3,032 of 8,377
i also think full CF shell looks nice, but apart from the visual factor, i am not sure if that will impact the sound much?

That's the point. It doesn't really matter if it will impact the sound or not. The fact that it is the ONLY CIEM available in full CF is a big enough excentive for some people to buy it.

I know alot of my decision to choose the CF finish (after deciding that I wanted to go with buying a Roxanne) is because it is the only CIEM available with full CF at the moment.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #3,033 of 8,377
Lets not forget that there are bound to be some people on the list because the Roxanne is the first (and only at the moment) CIEM available in full CF. You can buy your Nobles but if you do, you won't have a CF CIEM... If the BA and crossover of the Noble was comparable to the Roxanne and also available in full CF, I think a lot more people would listen to your argument. To be fair, for pure audio - you may have a point. You may not. I don't know... and even then, it's all down to opinion.

In short, people's reasons for buying may not be all about the audio experience. Some people will want CF bragging rights for example, or the custom box... or simply insist on having CIEMs with JH's name on them. At the moment, there's only one place you can get full CF with JH's name on... and maybe that is the driver for some people.

I just hope that mine come faultless - because if they don't, they are going back.

As an aside, I think people are passing the time by posting in this thread (the "my Roxannes are still not here" support group) - that's cool, whatever makes the days go faster. We all just want our Roxannes... and rightly too!

To say the truth, I think your assessment of the situation is quite fair. Let's just wait and see... If the Roxanne is indeed a fantastic product, and/or marginally better than its contenders, and if JH resolves its problems fast, I might even consider to buy one for myself. But so far, you must admit it doesn't look good...

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #3,034 of 8,377

And the best would be a JHA product? Funny people I see in this forum...

Eh? I don't get what you are getting at? Have I missed something?

I don't remember who was it but someone was saying something like, people wait to get the best so waiting is justified. Well, I don't think JHA ever brought best ciem in the world or something, all I see is poorly managed business and some great products. The best? No, far from it. Apart from JH13 FP, their products was never TOTL. I hope, they bring something better than JH13 FP but then again, with that kind of business management, I wouldn't be their customer. I like the idea behind the Roxanne, adjustable bass and all, really interesting (I am not talking about 12 drivers here, more drivers mean bulls**t, how they are tuned is what matters). At the beginning I was considering Roxanne seriously, to complete my SE5way, but after all the pages I read here, no way man, I throw my money at somewhere else.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #3,035 of 8,377
To say the truth, I think your assessment of the situation is quite fair. Let's just wait and see... If the Roxanne is indeed a fantastic product, and/or marginally better than its contenders, and if JH resolves its problems fast, I might even consider to buy one for myself. But so far, you must admit it doesn't look good...

Of course, on the flipside, it may not be marginally better!

From what I can gather (and I haven't been following too closely to avoid further depression), the sound is praised. It's the cable and the build quality that are in question.

I believe the CF thing will be sorted - just like the cables were sorted. There's too much at stake to lose here. Reputation and money.

The only thing that has really dissapointed me is the shadey comms... I wouldn't mind a little more transparency or a statement on their website at least. It's not my style to pester for an update as updates cost people time... but one clear update on their website could put alot of email enquiries to bed.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,036 of 8,377
Halfbakedpatatoe, you should post a review or first impressions as soon as you receive your roxies. It's the only thing I think that could reassure many potential customers. Including me.
I completely understand and agree with everything you said. As a customer who paid top dollar for a product, you're entitled to the transparency you referred to.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #3,037 of 8,377
I don't remember who was it but someone was saying something like, people wait to get the best so waiting is justified. Well, I don't think JHA ever brought best ciem in the world or something, all I see is poorly managed business and some great products. The best? No, far from it. Apart from JH13 FP, their products was never TOTL. I hope, they bring something better than JH13 FP but then again, with that kind of business management, I wouldn't be their customer. I like the idea behind the Roxanne, adjustable bass and all, really interesting (I am not talking about 12 drivers here, more drivers mean bulls**t, how they are tuned is what matters). At the beginning I was considering Roxanne seriously, to complete my SE5way, but after all the pages I read here, no way man, I throw my money at somewhere else.

Ah yes. I see.

"Best", at best, is an opinion in this game. I'm no expert but what I do know is that one man's treasure is another man's turd. Hey, if people want to put turd in their ears, that's no concern of mine. I don't know if Roxannes are the best or not but nobody can deny that JH is the father of CIEMs, he's an innovator - and above all, continues to innovate. He's bringing stuff to market before everybody else.

Here's the rub... in keeping ahead of the curve, he's maybe bringing the stuff to market before it's ready. Maybe his business is poorly managed. I don't know. It doesn't look good from the outside but nobody really knows whats going on in the inside. For example, I know JH has been globetrotting promoting the Roxanne (hell, he's at NAMM this week - his airmiles must be clocking up) and I don't know if him not being around has an influence on what is coming out of JH Audio - it shouldn't but it does make you wonder. I don't know if I would want to be seen out and about when there seems to be a problem with the production of the Roxanne. Having said that, there's not much on the internet about the problems with Roxannes - perhaps it's a localised thing on headfi. I don't know. It's all speculation.

You saying "far from it" with regards to being the best, again, opinion. The best for what? The best for being made out of pure CF? The best for audiophiles? The best for musicians? The best for live IEM use? It's all subjective. You may or may not hate the JH brand. You know what, that's cool. There are no rules about what brands you have a love of. I've never had a JH product before... but I'm still hoping that it will fit my needs... and exceed expectations.

It's like anything custom made. You have to make a decision whether you can cope with the way the business works in the hope that you are getting a product that you really want. I will say it again, if you want a Roxanne, you can't go anywhere else. OK, there are other products out there that are similar maybe - but there must be something in the Roxanne that has caused a load of people to shell out for a pair.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3,038 of 8,377
Halfbakedpatatoe, you should post a review or first impressions as soon as you receive your roxies. It's the only thing I think that could reassure many potential customers. Including me.

I completely understand and agree with everything you said. As a customer who paid top dollar for a product, you're entitled to the transparency you referred to.

Absolutely. I have no problems with doing that... assuming that I get them at some point!

I would appreciate somebody doing the same too as I am half expecting a set of Roxannes to turn up with all bubbles in the CF!

Of course, what I want to be able to do (and I think everybody else is with me here) is put up a video showing exactly how perfect the finish is so we can all breath a huge sigh of relief - and after everybody has got their Roxanne's, the email and comms BS and cable BS will be laid to rest.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #3,039 of 8,377
Best is a word that comes back very often around here. And it's perfectly understandable. When one's paying more than a grand for a product, they want to know, and will do everything to convince themselves, that what they have bought is, indeed, "the best".

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #3,040 of 8,377

Ah yes. I see.

"Best", at best, is an opinion in this game. I'm no expert but what I do know is that one man's treasure is another man's turd. Hey, if people want to put turd in their ears, that's no concern of mine. I don't know if Roxanne's are the best or not but nobody can deny that JH is the father of CIEMs, he's an innovator - and above all, continues to innovate. He's bringing stuff to market before everybody else.

Here's the rub... in keeping ahead of the curve, he's maybe bringing the stuff to market before it's ready. Maybe his business is poorly managed. I don't know. It doesn't look good from the outside but nobody really knows whats going on in the inside. For example, I know JH has been globetrotting promoting the Roxanne (hell, he's at NAMM this week - his airmiles must be clocking up) and I don't know if him not being around has an influence on what is coming out of JH Audio - it shouldn't but it does make you wonder. I don't know if I would want to be seen out and about when there seems to be a problem with the production of the Roxanne. Having said that, there's not much on the internet about the problems with Roxannes - perhaps it's a localised thing on headfi. I don't know. It's all speculation.

You saying "far from it" with regards to being the best, again, opinion. The best for what? The best for being made out of pure CF? The best for audiophiles? The best for musicians? The best for live IEM use? It's all subjective. You may or may not hate the JH brand. You know what, that's cool. There are no rules about what brands you have a love of. I've never had a JH product before... but I'm still hoping that it will fit my needs... and exceed expectations.

It's like anything custom made. You have to make a decision whether you can cope with the way the business works in the hope that you are getting a product that you really want. I will say it again, if you want a Roxanne, you can't go anywhere else. OK, there are other products out there that are similar maybe - but there must be something in the Roxanne that has caused a load of people to shell out for a pair.

But for the level of product quality these days, i am sure people will do more than just rant on the forum if they receive their iphone 5S with faulty casing, etc

bottom line is that, how could faulty cases/cables/mismatch color shells be sent out to the customer in the first place? 
people have proved to be patient, even when it comes to purchasing a aftermarket cable, there are plenty on this forum that waited months, or even approaching a year for Toxic cable's delivery. But the MAIN difference here is that, Toxic cable ensures EVERY product that he ships out is at the best level of quality he can achieve, and maybe at the end, buyers are willing to accept the trade off of waiting and receiving top quality merchandise. 

I think many ppl are worried bcos of the unknown delivery time frame, as well as the chance that when they do receive it, they find out something else is wrong and gotta send back for a refit/repair, etc

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #3,041 of 8,377
But for the level of product quality these days, i am sure people will do more than just rant on the forum if they receive their iphone 5S with faulty casing, etc

bottom line is that, how could faulty cases/cables/mismatch color shells be sent out to the customer in the first place? 
people have proved to be patient, even when it comes to purchasing a aftermarket cable, there are plenty on this forum that waited months, or even approaching a year for Toxic cable's delivery. But the MAIN difference here is that, Toxic cable ensures EVERY product that he ships out is at the best level of quality he can achieve, and maybe at the end, buyers are willing to accept the trade off of waiting and receiving top quality merchandise. 

I think many ppl are worried bcos of the unknown delivery time frame, as well as the chance that when they do receive it, they find out something else is wrong and gotta send back for a refit/repair, etc

You got a point.... That's why I was suggesting to halfbakedpotato to keep us posted about his roxanne. Just to be informed; will his Roxanne have the right custom art, no bubbles in the shells, good esthetics...? And also, good sound ?
In a nutshell, was the wait worth it or not ?

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #3,043 of 8,377

Comparing a mass produced product to a Roxanne is completely unfair. The Roxanne (to the best of my knowledge) are producted one by one due to their custom nature.

Faulty (or more appropriately, not fit for purpose) cables I can kind of sympathise with. They would have been supplied by a supplier who had either assured JHA that they would be fit for purpose, or they were incorrectly specced by JHA. Either way, it's been fixed. It's called teething issues. It happens with cars, it happens with loads of things - even your OS updates for your iPhone. Human error - but it's not the end of the world.

The other issues you mention, I can sympathise with. I'm cheesed off to think a company could send out products like the ones we have seen - but this brings me back to the JH being away line of thinking - maybe if JH was closer to what is happening at HQ things would be different... or of course, I could be completely wrong. We just don't know. Somebody has clearly messed up in their QC department... at least, we hope they have! I'm guessing it's not a nice environment to be working in at the moment. Hard to make CIEMS. Difficult materials to work with. A lot of pressure of being able to fulfil orders. It comes as no surprise to see that standards are slipping. It doesn't make it right though. Somebody needs to be given a slap and for the game to be picked up. It happens in all industries.

Toxic is a proven, repeatable activity. Making cables with known components. It's nailed. I can kind of see your argument... but I think the complexity of working with CF has different challenges to that of making cables.

Roxanne is new. Completely different to their other lines. New materials, new drivers, new connections. There are going to be headaches. Sadly for JHA, there seems to be quite a few. It's what they do about the teething troubles that will define them.

As for the colours of acrylic... that's not new. And to me, that's inexcusable... but to be fair, I don't believe that there's anything out there saying the JHA won't make things right. Sad that it's not right first time... but as I say, there may be lots of factors which are having an impact within JHA at the moment.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,045 of 8,377
You got a point.... That's why I was suggesting to halfbakedpotato to keep us posted about his roxanne. Just to be informed; will his Roxanne have the right custom art, no bubbles in the shells, good esthetics...? And also, good sound ?

In a nutshell, was the wait worth it or not ?

I really hope that I will able to upload proof of a perfect set of Roxannes (and equally, perfect case) the day that package from JHA arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back