New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Aug 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #78 of 740
got this message from the Quad company
"Even if we only had a few demonstrations of the prototyps we got much more orders than expected, means please allow us a delivery time of 8 weeks"

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #79 of 740
Quote:
I will remain skeptical since none of the Jecklin's were ever more than mehhh performance wise.  Even when you remove the crappy transformer boxes from the equation and connect them to a proper amp (not the Jecklin amp though as that one is a bad joke) they are still not anywhere near good.  Now some of this was due to the build quality so fix the drivers properly and things will improve but running dipoles this close to the ear with no attempts to seal the baffle will cause a lot of problems.  Simply throwing larger drivers and higher voltages at the problem will not make it go away. 

Quote:
I remember the old electrostatic Jecklins, of which I have heard two versions.  They were interesting headphones, and the thing that I liked about them the most at the time was how comfortable they were compared to the ESP-9's that were considered the "reference" headphone back in the 70's when I heard the 'Floats.

The Jecklins were very easy to wear in comparison, but the sound was not as good. The Jecklins sounded OK, kind of airy, but they had NO bass impact.  I don't imagine the new ones could, either.  Maybe some lows, but I doubt they have what headphone enthusiasts like to call "impact" in the bass. It's hard for electrostatic headphones that are sealed to ear to produce this kind of impact, I think due to the generally small excursions to which electrostatic drivers are restricted.  Now, take away that seal and you have the bass from the front of the Jecklin panel cancelling the bass from the back.  Don't forget that 30 Hz  sound has a wavelength of 11.44 meters!  That's 37.5 feet!  So,  the front and back of the Jecklin panel are for all intents and purposes driving the same acoustic space..... not a formula for bass reproduction.  Yes because the ear canal is acoustically closer to one side of the panel by ~0.009 wavelength there will be SOME bass heard, but....  

Yes you are both right we cant escape the laws of physics!  Due to the open design (like an open baffle speaker) we cant expect to have humongous bass.  However what bass there is is clear and tuneful, not bloated or often the one note type you get with many bass impact dynamics.
The Jecklin Floats are undoubtedly a timeless iconic design.  For me they are the electrostatic equivalent of the AKG K1000 
I've been a user of high end Stax for decades, but the Floats still have a special place in my collection due to the way they present the music.  If its a good recording they are very satisfying but like many other headphones, on poor recording they can sound mehh as Spritzer put it.

In theory the new Jecklins have to sound better, newer materials available and apparently an improved driver unit.  Also Jecklin unlike most other headphone manufacturers, has worked and innovated in the recording and reproduction of sound for most of his life.  His experience is as a practitioner and teacher not a theorist!
However; I remain to be conviced until i've heard a pair.  All manufacturers, including Quad GMBH, hype up their products in order to sell them.  The whole audio industry does this all the time.  You only have to look at the fads that come and pass on headfi for that matter.  The latest hyped headphone wonder is soon relegated to the ordinary.

Personally i'm very disappointed with the new design, especially in view of the price.  Its not memorable at all, looks cheap tacky and amateurish, which is a real shame if they live up to the claims made for their performance.  Given the STAX heritage and the effort they put into R&D I would be surprised if they can eclipse the SR-009, but I will reserve judgement until hearing

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #80 of 740
Quote:

Really?  A properly driven HD800 is the closest thing I've ever heard to a HE60.  Hell, which would you say measures better?  Please don't answer, it's rhetorical.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennhheiserHE60.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

Afraid I have to disagree here as i've tried maybe a dozen different amplifiers with the HD800 and still they can often sound excruciatingly bright, artificial and mechanical.  Its not entirely their fault as many recordings these days are so over processed.  I've never experienced this problem with the HE60 even thought their top end appears to measures brighter than the HD800.

I believe to make the 800 listenable you came up with a mod to glue bits of foam inside the earcups?  That's hardly a recommendation I feel for a $1500 headphone   

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #81 of 740
I can understand all of their thoughts. I must tell you however:
The bass range is not a problem
Neither the depth nor in the abundance
And they can listen to a choir. Try to investigate whether they can find even a headphone that reflects a choir so differentiated.
Also, what relates to the structure. You will not find a second pair of headphones with the same result.
They talk about problems of a free Sytems with transducers to the ear. Then they should talk about the problems some of headphones, which surrounds the ear.
Or they see absolutely no problem?
Each pair of headphones, with a pad that surrounds the ear has in the end, very carefully considered the same problem. No matter how clean the sound of them appears. They form a space around the ear, which does not exist. And that little space inside the pad's ensures that the sound is affected. Also, even where the impression that there is little, there is still enough. At the point comes the Jecklin QA into play. This alone is reason enough that the sound of Jecklin is more free from artifacts. or resonances. And exactly this you will hear.

You may believe it or not. It's okay. And I understand that.

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #82 of 740
Quote:
Each pair of headphones, with a pad that surrounds the ear has in the end, very carefully considered the same problem. No matter how clean the sound of them appears. They form a space around the ear, which does not exist. And that little space inside the pad's ensures that the sound is affected. Also, even where the impression that there is little, there is still enough. At the point comes the Jecklin QA into play. This alone is reason enough that the sound of Jecklin is more free from artifacts. or resonances. And exactly this you will hear.

Good point.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #84 of 740
Quote:

I believe to make the 800 listenable you came up with a mod to glue bits of foam inside the earcups?  That's hardly a recommendation I feel for a $1500 headphone   

Why?  Every headphone I've ever had has been modded, what's price got to do with it?  There is no perfect headphone so might as well try to compensate for short comings if one is able.  Better to drop a few cents on a piece of foam then thousands playing headphone carousel and still be less satisfied IMHO.  While the mod is helpful so is synergy.  I wouldn't have an Eddie Current S7 or recommend others like the DNA Stratus, Manley 300B or other EC designs otherwise.  We aren't talking about thick, muddy, non resolving slosh type synergy either.  The other more than dozen amps I've heard w/ the HD800 does support your experience.  Sadly it's not a fun commitment to make to a phone.  Tbh I find the same true of the 009 which I dislike w/ most amps as well.  Both are simply the most transparent to the recording and chain in front I've heard so far.  Are they perfect?  No, nothing is.  We choose our compromises and adapt accordingly. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #85 of 740
Quote:
Good point.

Thank you.

I would therefore like to call my thoughts again.

I'm private headphone friend. I'm no intellectual property, not a businessman, I have no financial interests, and I am not in a dependency. Because I am heart and soul of a friend of electrostatic headphones, I dedicate myself to the topic of "Jecklin Float QA" accordingly. That's why I've taken very early contact with the "Quad-Musikwiedergabe" (Manfred Stein). So I can watch the first minute of this topic. And to report thereon to the German forum. (Open End Music) I want the whole course of the Jecklin Float QA is given as information. Both text and technical information, and photos. And I can assure you: I am neutral. If there are negative things, I will call these things exactly the way the positive things. That's the whole background. It's about information. Not for commercial, not financial interests. And not a hype.

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #86 of 740
Quote:

Thank you.

I would therefore like to call my thoughts again.

I'm private headphone friend. I'm no intellectual property, not a businessman, I have no financial interests, and I am not in a dependency. Because I am heart and soul of a friend of electrostatic headphones, I dedicate myself to the topic of "Jecklin Float QA" accordingly. That's why I've taken very early contact with the "Quad-Musikwiedergabe" (Manfred Stein). So I can watch the first minute of this topic. And to report thereon to the German forum. (Open End Music) I want the whole course of the Jecklin Float QA is given as information. Both text and technical information, and photos. And I can assure you: I am neutral. If there are negative things, I will call these things exactly the way the positive things. That's the whole background. It's about information. Not for commercial, not financial interests. And not a hype.

So what, in your opinion, are some negative points about the Jecklin QA?

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #87 of 740
I am thinking of ordering one set and would like to know : is the  transformer (PSU) of Jecklin float is the
same as those of TakeT H2+?   Can we use the TakeT transformer with the Jecklin float QA? and vice versa?
If they can be used together, which will be the best combination?   I have been informed by thinker that the Jecklin Float
PSU deliver  20-30Hz and that is very impressive as I don't think the present Stax headphones can do that well enough

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #88 of 740
There are some pictures of the transformer that have just been posted on the same site referenced in the first post of this thread - I've linked to them below. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #89 of 740
Quote:
I am thinking of ordering one set and would like to know : is the  transformer (PSU) of Jecklin float is the
same as those of TakeT H2+?   Can we use the TakeT transformer with the Jecklin float QA? and vice versa?
If they can be used together, which will be the best combination?   I have been informed by thinker that the Jecklin Float
PSU deliver  20-30Hz and that is very impressive as I don't think the present Stax headphones can do that well enough

I don't think they're compatible unfortunately.

Different specs, different connectors (the Floats wouldn't plug in to the single XLR port on the TR2 and visa versa).

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #90 of 740
Quote:
There are some pictures of the transformer that have just been posted on the same site referenced in the first post of this thread - I've linked to them below. 

Thanks for posting those. Why they didn't make the chassis black to match the headphones is beyond me.

Anyone else have luck getting through to QUAD Musik? Aside from Thinker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back