new jaguar
Jan 11, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 55
Very nice, kg, and the 440 hp v8 should make it really sing.

Funny, but the first impression I had in seeing the pics was, "that looks like a modernized, slightly bulked up Volvo P-1800" - not a bad thing at all.

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 55
Man that's nice. I haven't seen any text on it yet, but depending on price it looks like their answer to Aston Martin's DB9 or AMV8. I also see a lot of Audi Lemans in it too. I can't wait for the detroit chow this year, hopefully it will be there. Last year's Jaguar concept was hideous except for the view from head-on.

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 55
Ack I was about to say that it looked like an Aston Martin! Hmm do you think the British are trying to corner the market on that look as the "British" look? Keeping in mind that it's owned by Ford of course!

BTW looking like an Aston Martin is not a bad thing. Cool ride, Kevin!

Edit - but there are some days you just want to spin in a circle with two hemis -

http://www.madville.com/link.php?id=89589&t=4

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 55
"Lightweight". The Jaguar muscle car, nice. I like it, but the dash is kinda unoriginal. Look like every other "modern" dash -- now the look is becoming cliche. I also need a nice helping of walnut or rosewood in my jag...

Call me old fashion, but, yeah baby...

jaguar01_silver_lg.jpg

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 55
Nice Kevin,

Like many pointed out, unmistakably Aston under skin. I wouldn't be surprised if this Jag shares platform and chassis with Aston Martin. Which is NOT a bad thing since many journalist liked the latest structure of AM.

One thing I'm not too fond of is the interior. It's lookin too much like Ford design. Where is the lushous, extravagent and coziness of Jags??? Well I know this is a concept car so the final product wouldn't look too much like this, but definately wrong direction for inside cabin. No flowing lines on dash/center console, No harmonious blend of wood/leather, No Britishness of furniture/electronics!

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 55
chadbang, that's what i think of when i think of Jag too. in fact, they evoked it perfectly with their last sports model, dont you think? so i guess they are now going for the beefy look - i'm sure that doesnt mean they'll abandon the sleek lines of their current convertible model, right? what's it called, the XRS or something? anyhow my wife likes the top of the line sedan, but hates the X-car or whatever the midlevel sedan is called. so i think it was a good decision to just go with a whole new design for this sporty guy instead of having just another variation of a classic, especially since they already have one in the stable that does it so well.

Jan 11, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 55
Well, it is certainly very much like the aston. Obviously because the original DB7 designer Ian Callum is also the head of Jaguar design.

My design Critique:

The aluminium body is probably going to be good. Saves weight, increases rigitidy. Look at the new XJ. Jag did a fantastic job with the aluminium construction are are likely to do so here. (unlike the past generation audi A8, where no weight reductions, or handling improvements were apparent). Platform is probably similarly based on the Aston VH, as both are in the Ford Premier group.

I personally know that 440 bhp is very much enough. But these days, all people hear is about 500, even 600 bhp. By the time they make this into an XK (this is still concept) its competitors will be on top of them, unless that 440 is base and there is still a more powerful one. Look for the porsche 911 variants, Mercedes SL, Maserati GT, and BMW 6. It needs to be competitive in its field. 440 as a top model will NOT be enough. ie. SL55: 493, M6: 500.

The profile of the car is very classy, nice and curvacious. Looks good, looks beautiful, looks like an aston. So what. Astons look nice.

Headlight are ugly, as are those front air scoop things that look out of place. Grill, maybe too high; reminds way too much of a ford taurus. I wonder if they too that part from the ford parts bin... yikes. Side air outlets are a little wierd, sort of like the Range rover ones. I can live with them. Rear lights are pretty bad again. Althoughit may make loading easier, this lifting hatch makes it too much like a wagon or hatchback; I would prefer to see only the trunk lift, rather than the rear window as well.

Interior is a shock. Not a bit of wood. I disagree, Jag cant do this. Where is the polished wood and creamy conolly leather? "dimpled" aluminium sheets wont do. Jag, clean up your act and bring your market niche together. Jag owners want luxury, as much wood as a Rolls, and yet in a light and sporty vehicle. Unless I am old fashioned and wood isn't popular anymore. Good job on ditching the J gate. Manual isn't necessary, but a tiptronic is required.

Nice, but needs some changes before it can turn into an XK. Its a little too daring, obviously a concept will be.

Jan 11, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 55
I'm sure my Mom will buy one of these if/when they do a ragtop. Or better yet, she'll make me buy her one. That car looks kinda "girly" to me somehow. Not an insult to Jaguar or it's owners but the Aston looks more masculine to my eyes. My mom's XKR ragtop is a great car and I expect this new model to be at least an improvement. We'll see.

Jan 11, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
chadbang, that's what i think of when i think of Jag too. in fact, they evoked it perfectly with their last sports model, dont you think? so i guess they are now going for the beefy look - i'm sure that doesnt mean they'll abandon the sleek lines of their current convertible model, right? what's it called, the XRS or something? anyhow my wife likes the top of the line sedan, but hates the X-car or whatever the midlevel sedan is called. so i think it was a good decision to just go with a whole new design for this sporty guy instead of having just another variation of a classic, especially since they already have one in the stable that does it so well.

The top of the line sedan, the XJ

04407081990004LRG.jpg

Interesting that your wife doesn't like the X-type, considering it looks essentially the same...

04407181990002LRG.jpg

Maybe you're thinking of the S type, which is a little unconventional in styling.

04407111990003LRG.jpg

And the current XK is pretty, although the front headlights do look a little funny

04407021990005LRG.jpg

04407021990004LRG.jpg

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dffman2001
The top of the line sedan, the XJ

*Thanks for the pics! Yep that's the one the wife likes.*

Interesting that your wife doesn't like the X-type, considering it looks essentially the same...

*That's the thing. It looks too cheapo-derivative, she thought it was the fat stubby version of the XJ*

Maybe you're thinking of the S type, which is a little unconventional in styling.

*Actually she didn't mind this one - she wasn't thrilled but wasn't turned off.*

And the current XK is pretty, although the front headlights do look a little funny

*Don't laught but she thought this one looked too "Girly." I actually love it, it reminds me of the E-type - derivative in a good way. I'm glad the new Jag coming out won't be the "X-type" version of this car, but instead trying a new direction, Aston Martinish or not.*

04407021990004LRG.jpg

Now that leather and wood interior is what Jag should be all about. Another reason why the wife liked the top of the line sedan - so sumptuous inside - old world details all the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back