New Isabellina HPA headamp + DAC from Red Wine Audio
Aug 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the HPA have any fuses that needs to be switched to Furutecs rodium-plated ones?

And how much will a new battery cost?

Hi Bredin,

No fuses (except one in the battery charger, but the charger is only in use when the unit is OFF - so there is no point to buy expensive fuses, power cords, power conditioners, etc).

The battery we use in the Isabellina HPA is a 12V, 5Ah SLA battery. In the USA, the one we use is approx. $20. The Isabellina HPA owner's manual explains how to change the battery when the time comes - it is easy.

Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #33 of 39
My Isabellina HPA is past the 300 hour mark and it only has gotten better. Of the 300 hours I would say that a good 100 hours has been via USB and that is the way that I am currently using it.

To me it is very involving the background is pure black and it has a level of musicality not achieved by many of its competitors. I presents the music in a wide and very realistic soundstage w/ draws the listener in.

I am so happy w/ it I am now looking at incorporating a Signature 30.2 w/ an AKG K1000. My wallet is destroyed!
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Isabellina HPA is past the 300 hour mark and it only has gotten better. Of the 300 hours I would say that a good 100 hours has been via USB and that is the way that I am currently using it.

To me it is very involving the background is pure black and it has a level of musicality not achieved by many of its competitors. I presents the music in a wide and very realistic soundstage w/ draws the listener in.

I ma so happy w/ it I am now looking at incorporating a Signature 30.2 w/ an AKG K1000. My wallet is destroyed!
wink.gif

mrarroyo, Glad you are enjoying listening with the Isabellina HPA. I have seen many of your posts, so I am aware that you have listened with many different amps and digital sources. Are there any separate DAC and HPAs that you would compare this combination component to? All the best.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ma so happy w/ it I am now looking at incorporating a Signature 30.2 w/ an AKG K1000. My wallet is destroyed!
wink.gif

Quite sure your ears would appreciate a Signature 30.2 and K1000 in addition. Stunning combo!
Sorry about your wallet!
wink_face.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #36 of 39
Does this sync well with HD800 in SE?

Also, can you elaborate on this?

Quote:

It'll play 24-bit music with no problem - and even files with higher sampling rates like 96k or 192k (but it does not oversample - it just plays at the sample rate that it is fed).

Does this mean that it can take the input from 24bit/192khz+ without any upsampling? The spec on the website states that it is 16bit NOS DAC. So, this statement is little confusing to me..

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo, Glad you are enjoying listening with the Isabellina HPA. I have seen many of your posts, so I am aware that you have listened with many different amps and digital sources. Are there any separate DAC and HPAs that you would compare this combination component to? All the best.

A Monarchy NM24 DAC w/ the Monarchy AC Regenrator driving a fully modded Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE. Overall these three items have an MSRP of over $6,500.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, can you elaborate on this?

Does this mean that it can take the input from 24bit/192khz+ without any upsampling? The spec on the website states that it is 16bit NOS DAC. So, this statement is little confusing to me..

Hi tosehee,

The dac always plays in 16-bit NOS mode (even if you feed it 24 bit files), and uses the sampling rate that it is fed (up to 192kHz).

See:

Isabellina

For further reading, here are some some links to Isabellina dac user feedback from our Audiocircle forum (a lot of this goes into the 16-bit NOS approach - inspired by Ryohei Kusonoki):

Isabellina first impressions (and some background)

Isabellina

Isabellina - reviewed by Positive Feedback Online

The NOS issue bugs me, help please

Quote:

Does this sync well with HD800 in SE?

Oh, yes!
wink.gif

A quote (from one of my HD800 customers who posted on the Isabellina Impressions thread):

Quote:

Vinnie,
First off....Kudos to you for a great headphone amp! i have two sennheiser headphones, the HD600 and the HD800. I have only listened thru the HD800 and my initial impressions are extremely favorable. From the moment i plugged in my HD800 and started listening i was like 'WOW'! Right from the get go i found the sound to be perfect. the whole range of sound coming from the Isabellina HPA from the bass thru to the highs are balanced in a way i haven't heard before thru any headphones or amp period.
I have owned the Grace Design M902 and personally found it to be too bright and harsh. i have also owned the Davry Engineering DA11 and found it be too soft and lush(heavy sounding is my best thinking for it). the only other amp I've owned was the firestone Little Country 3 and Spitfire 24 tube amp/DAC Separates which i found to sound good but, i didnt like having to have four separate pieces including their dac plus all the associated cables and plugs to make it all work.
Update: it has been 6 hours since i first started running my HD800 thru the Isabellina HPA with lossless WMA off my computer using the included USB cable. the soundstage continues to find me awed! i can't believe my long journery in search of the perfect amp, an all in one solution that sounds like the best tube amp you'll ever find, but taken one step further with a NOS(New Old Stock) DAC. I'll leave it up to Vinnie to elaborate on the NOS if any of you guys have questions on that end. Btw, my Isabelina HPA is serial # 002
I'll post again after i get to around 100 hours of burn in and let you know what i think. but at this point in time i see Vinnie becomming very busy building the Isabellina HPA's for the forseeable future.
Again i want to thank Vinnie for a... let's see a (quoting 3dgameman.com here) Totally Kick Ass Product!!
joe

Another review just added here from an Isabellina HPA customer with HD800s:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/red...na-hpa-441696/

and he has even experimented with ALO's upcoming HD800 cable - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5956647-post23.html)....
beerchug.gif

Best regards,

Vinnie

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #39 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back