New iPods - no more rumors...
Apr 28, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 164
Thanks for the update! I nearly bought a 10Gb Ipod for USD$350 just now!

Apr 28, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 164
Originally posted by austonia
the original post is wrong. its 10, 15 and 30gb models.

Thanks, Austonia (you are correct) - updated my original post for those just reading this for first time to avoid confusion - bad cut&paste from two different sources in the middle of the flux of the "live update" when this was breaking news.

Looking forward to 1.3 software update (for windows) if it adds "on-the-go" playlists - everything else is just 'fluff' to me. I still prefer the 'old' scrollwheel/touchwheel interface to the new one - makes for easier one-hand operation with the old design IMHO.

Apr 28, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #19 of 164
Quote:

Originally posted by Ruahrc
[Funky port/docking cable business.. I really like the simplicity of the original iPod and its firewire port design.

I *really* like the dock. I hated having a stray FireWire cable sitting on my desk all the time
wink.gif
Get two docks, and hook one up to your stereo (via line-out
smily_headphones1.gif
) and the other to your computer. When you want to listen to the stereo, drop it in that dock (and charge in the process!). When you want to update/sync, drop it in the computer dock.

The only thing that sucks about the line-out is, as others have mentioned, that it is *initially* only available via the dock. However, $100 says that within a month there will be a third-party adapter (the line-level signal output is located in the funky jack on the bottom).

Quote:

The only advantages is that it's a little thinner, and has all touch buttons.

Queued playlists! The backlighting is also very cool (it's the same kind as on the new 17" PowerBook), as are the additional games, no more sharp edges, and the customizable menus. I actually don't like the new button layout -- I liked the buttons around the scroll wheel.

The only BAD thing, for me, is that all of my 20GB accessories won't work with the new models
frown.gif

It's too bad the iPod 1.3 update didn't add queued playlists to the older units.

P.S. Looks like I might be selling my 20GB model
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #20 of 164
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Anyone wonder about these mp4 claims?

Based on mp4(aac) it delivers... 100% pristine digital quality.

... and some sound better than CDs.

"Better than CD?" Where did you get that from?

I actually used the iTunes Music Store this afternoon. Once you get your account set up, it's pretty awesome. The downloaded files definitely sounded better than most of the 128k MP3s I've heard.

Tonight I plan to rip some music using AAC and MP3 via iTunes and see how much of a difference I can hear.

Apr 28, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 164
Quote:

I actually don't like the new button layout -- I liked the buttons around the scroll wheel.

I'm with you on this one Mac. I also don't like the new rounded corners........kinda like what they've done to all the cars on the road.
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #23 of 164
Wow...what's the mW per channel on the original ? Look at this:

" * Up to 25 minutes of skip protection
* Maximum output power: 60 mW rms (30 mW per channel)
* Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz
* Audio formats supported:
- Mac: AAC (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR), WAV, AIFF, Audible (Mac only)
- Windows: MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR), WAV
* Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats"

Tha's plenty O' power there isn't it now....

I"m hoping though, that they jump on the Ogg bandwagon, if the quote of "upgradable firmware etc etc...is suggesting so. I'd rather have that than AAC for the PC.. However, I can't see buying a HD player for just MP3's anymore....Whom ever has the Ogg support first gets my money.

Apr 28, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #25 of 164
yup, i started a thread a few weeks ago with a pic of a STRIKINGLY similar ipod... and yet no one seemed to believe it!! hehehehehe i was right i was right.
tongue.gif

of course, i DO still think the old design is much better, this new one looks like crap to me. its a big mistake in my eyes.

Apr 28, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 164
I ripped three CDs this afternoon to checkout the AAC versus MP3 performance. The CDs (just a random grab) are Janis Siegel's "I Wish You Love," Keiko Matsui's "Deep Blue," and James Taylor's "Greatest Hits, Vol. II.

It's likely to early to say for sure, but so far 128 AACs sound like the real deal to me--just like the CD.

Fantastic!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #28 of 164
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Wow...what's the mW per channel on the original ? Look at this:

" * Up to 25 minutes of skip protection
* Maximum output power: 60 mW rms (30 mW per channel)
* Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz
* Audio formats supported:
- Mac: AAC (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR), WAV, AIFF, Audible (Mac only)
- Windows: MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR), WAV
* Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats"

Tha's plenty O' power there isn't it now....

I"m hoping though, that they jump on the Ogg bandwagon, if the quote of "upgradable firmware etc etc...is suggesting so. I'd rather have that than AAC for the PC.. However, I can't see buying a HD player for just MP3's anymore....Whom ever has the Ogg support first gets my money.

There's not much new in this list. The skip protection has actually dropped from 32 minutes, IIRC, and the battery life from 10 to 8 hours.

The major plus for existing Mac iPod owners is AAC encoding (provided you have the pro version of Quicktime 6.2), and that is a very big deal.

Apr 28, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #29 of 164
Quote:

Originally posted by djgustashaw
yup, i started a thread a few weeks ago with a pic of a STRIKINGLY similar ipod... and yet no one seemed to believe it!! hehehehehe i was right i was right.
tongue.gif

Yep, you were right--along with tens of thousands of other ThinkSecret readers.
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 164
this new apple music service blows... its ONLY AAC-format only so that only the iPod2 ands a Mac computer can play it. AND, they are only at 128kbs, plus it has tons of crappy restrictions.

"In a nutshell, you can play your music on up to three computers, enjoy unlimited synching with your iPods, burn unlimited CDs of individual songs, and burn unchanged playlists up to 10 times each."

Gee thanks.

OR, i could just buy a restriction-free CD.

OR, I could download MP3-version for free on any P2P service, so I can use them in my other players, and not just on the iPod2.

Stupid service doesn't even support MP3 for the older iPod. ********.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back