500+ Head-Fier
Are there any other changes besides:

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector

* Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
* Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini

* Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
* Improved playback performance
* Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

??

More specifically, is the contrast issue fixed?

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 10
I just installed all the new updates (iPod, iTunes & QuickTime) and all is well. The new lossless codec is what I find interesting, as well as the Party Shuffle feature in iTunes. Good job Apple!

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 10
So far, I like the firmware update.

I did encode part of a CD using the new lossless algorithm. I grabbed Yo Yo Ma's Brazil early this morning and ripped and encoded 3/4 of the CD. I suspect the files are 50% of the size of a WAV file, but I will compare tonight.

The sound quality is quite good, but I am using PX 200s (I am at work right now). Later tonight I will switch cans, and compare the file size and sound quality to FLAC.

I do not feel the drive spinning very much, so I am hopeful there will be minimal/acceptable/tolerable impact upon my battery.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 10
i havnt had a chance to update my ipod yet [im at school, then off to work]. anyone know if they fixed the issue with not being able to use the ipod AT ALL while its in the dock and connected to the computer via firewire? i still think thats the most ridiculous thing ive seen about the ipod.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 10
nope, standing right here on my dock with the "ok to disconnect" sign on. Too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back