New iPad Air First impressions.
Nov 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Smoken Joe

New Head-Fier
I picked up the new iPad air with no music aspirations I already have plenty of sources iPhone older iPo etc.  There is significantly more power behind this device. It has enough to adequately power my AKG 702 for non critical listening. It is not the same experience as with a good amp but it is very close to the portable amps I have used.. I tried these on AGK and Grados. It retains the detailed sound of the iPhone 5 and I am hoping it smooths out with burn in. 

I will do a more complete review when time permits. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 14
So you say that it has significantly more power than the iPad 4/iPhone 5/iPod(s) and that the aound quality is on par with many portable amps? If that's the case then wow! Could you list the portable amps which, in your opinion, the iPad Air is similar/better than?

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 14
I picked my 128G version this week to replace my 1st gen one. Night and day differences. I love the new OS and love the smaller and lighter casework. It feels really beautiful in the hand as well.

Very impressed and with iCloud activated it was a breeze to set up even remembering my passwords on my Mac Book Pro and today I noticed that it synced all my friends birthdays on Facebook to iCal!

I got the white version, have ordered a cheap ($5 including shipping) plastic case back as I want to see what all the manufactures of cases come up with in the next few months before spending on a proper case though I have to say I like the Apple case, really slim fitting which is what I am after so if I end up going for that I will wait till the january sales to buy one. Here in Canada they want $100 for one tax in!

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 14
I was forced to buy my first Apple product since an iMac in 1999..........

I bought a iPad mini 6 weeks ago, then an iPad Air when they launched. My use for the iPads are strictly as remote controls for my Lumin Music Player.

And a beautiful remote control they make!!!

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 14
I was forced to buy my first Apple product since an iMac in 1999..........

I bought a iPad mini 6 weeks ago, then an iPad Air when they launched. My use for the iPads are strictly as remote controls for my Lumin Music Player.

And a beautiful remote control they make!!!
I bought a couple of ipad airs to put unter one of the legs of my kitchen table which was not straight...works perfectly!

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 14
I just wanted to report that I had great service from Apple last week. I got my air in November and all was well. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a tiny black spec on the screen (less than 1mm ).

Knowing I had a month left on the 90 days I went back to the apple store in truth expecting to be told to live with it as it was so tiny. Much to my surprise the assistant took one look at it and offered a brand new replacement!

The did not have the white 128G in stock so I had to wait a week but true to their word they called when it arrived in and I went and exchanged it. Perfect customer service from Apple and of course I have another 90 days now as this one is new!

Also. I purchased a case from a Canadian seller on ebay, the case cost $7.49 US and I was so happy with it I ordered another colour. It has the magnetic plastic cover that is to my eyes identical in feel and operation as the Apple cover and the back is a hard shell that is coloured the same as the cover though transparent. The nice things about this case are obviously the cost but not so obvious are that it feels of very high quality. All the holes are cut perfectly to fit the various buttons and holes on the air. A nice touch is where the speakers are. They could have cheaped out like a lot of after market cases and just left a gap there but not with this case. It has tiny pin prick holes just as in the leather Apple case. The best bit though is that it is ultra slim! I hate cases that are bulky, it takes away from the whole point of having a thin tablet!

I ordered the purple and now the green which should be here next week.
Oh, and whilst the air stays put in the case it is very easy to remove if you need to!.

Here is a link, great seller and highly recommended.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251414020044?var=550334809765&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 14
I picked my 128G version this week to replace my 1st gen one. Night and day differences. I love the new OS and love the smaller and lighter casework. It feels really beautiful in the hand as well.

Very impressed and with iCloud activated it was a breeze to set up even remembering my passwords on my Mac Book Pro and today I noticed that it synced all my friends birthdays on Facebook to iCal!

I got the white version, have ordered a cheap ($5 including shipping) plastic case back as I want to see what all the manufactures of cases come up with in the next few months before spending on a proper case though I have to say I like the Apple case, really slim fitting which is what I am after so if I end up going for that I will wait till the january sales to buy one. Here in Canada they want $100 for one tax in!

Congrats Ian
Please pair your ne iPad air directly to your A2P TU 05 , you will like it
I am as Idevice fanboy use most of my apple product as source , that's why I have so many dac and dac / amp for my IDevices.

Below I was posted in portable rigs thread the ranked base on the SQ

iPad Air 128 GB
iPhone 4 s
iPhone 5 s
iPod Classic 7 Gen 160 GB

IMO

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the advice Rudi. I will load an album on it and give it a go!

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 14
Congrats Ian
Please pair your ne iPad air directly to your A2P TU 05 , you will like it
I am as Idevice fanboy use most of my apple product as source , that's why I have so many dac and dac / amp for my IDevices.

Below I was posted in portable rigs thread the ranked base on the SQ

iPad Air 128 GB
iPhone 4 s
iPhone 5 s
iPod Classic 7 Gen 160 GB

IMO

As a former (and uber proud) owner of an iPhone 4s that currently has an iPhone 5s i'm not so sure that sound quality of the 4s is better than in the 5s. Could you elaborate?

Heard twice an iPad Air and it sounded to me ears like the 5s but with more headroom since the Air amp is more powerful. But quality wise i don't think i could tell them apart on a volume matched & blind test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back