New Innuos Pulse Streamer Series
Mar 21, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #61 of 85
Thanks! I considered the Aqua, but moved up to Helene instead...This is why I am debating moving up the chain with Innuos from my current PulseMini with LPSU. I do want the flexibility to use AES and SPDIF, although I think the Helene is oriented towards USB. MY experience is that USB always sounds the weakest of the 3, with AES sounding best, this is with other dacs of course. I don't have the helene until Saturday or Monday so I will see when I get it if SPDIF is better and if so not get the Phoenix.
Oh my, that DAC looks amazing! :beerchug:

Just so you know the actual USB setup looked like this:

Streamer/PC -> Shunyata Omega USB -> Phoenix USB -> Intona Reference USB -> DAC

IF you choose USB, again as I wrote in the previous post, I couldn’t hear any difference between the Pulse and Pulse Mini when using the Phoenix USB. Also it looks like your DAC already has a reclocker on the inputs so that’s also factor. YMMV.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #62 of 85
Thanks! I considered the Aqua, but moved up to Helene instead...This is why I am debating moving up the chain with Innuos from my current PulseMini with LPSU. I do want the flexibility to use AES and SPDIF, although I think the Helene is oriented towards USB. MY experience is that USB always sounds the weakest of the 3, with AES sounding best, this is with other dacs of course. I don't have the helene until Saturday or Monday so I will see when I get it if SPDIF is better and if so not get the Phoenix.
That's funny...I had the Aqua LaScala and moved to the Heléne. It's best with USB at the end. I liked also AES, but after many weeks listening to both options I choose USB.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #63 of 85
That's funny...I had the Aqua LaScala and moved to the Heléne. It's best with USB at the end. I liked also AES, but after many weeks listening to both options I choose USB.

Thanks for the validation...What is the your source into the Helene? Any clocking prior to the Helene? As TheR0v3r pointed out the Helene has a double reclock capability so wonder if the Phoenix will be needed. I might just have to try it either way but be interested if someone has already.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #64 of 85

Funny how different DACs handle the various input options so differently. I've got devices that sound better with AES, some sound best via BNC, and even sometimes USB depending on the setup.

That fact alone would be enough to push me to the Pulse line rather than the Zen series, with the exception of the Zen Mini which does have a few SPDIF options.

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #65 of 85
Funny how different DACs handle the various input options so differently. I've got devices that sound better with AES, some sound best via BNC, and even sometimes USB depending on the setup.

That fact alone would be enough to push me to the Pulse line rather than the Zen series, with the exception of the Zen Mini which does have a few SPDIF options.

Agreed the pulse line is more flexible...The new Pulsar input module should be great too. They are going to be showing it at Axpona, so more flexibility with that model as well.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #66 of 85
Agreed the pulse line is more flexible...The new Pulsar input module should be great too. They are going to be showing it at Axpona, so more flexibility with that model as well.
Looking forward to comparisons between Pulse vs Pulsar with AES and SPDIF.

I’ve given up on USB. 😂

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #67 of 85
Yeah, it’s great to have principles. And being steadfast.
Looking forward to comparisons between Pulse vs Pulsar with AES and SPDIF.

I’ve given up on USB. 😂
This weekend I have the luxury of auditioning the Mola Mola Tambaqui (”MMT”) at home. Here’s me holding on to my principles, not:
Surprise, surprise, maybe the best input on the MMT is USB!? Despite my general misgivings about the USB interface and previous negative experiences I decided to give it a go. And lo and behold, it sounded great. It actually sounded really great!!! :L3000:
So it actually seems to me that USB can be done really well, having a sense of ease and flow that I’ve never been able to accomplish with other setups. Two things:
  • It shows the importance of the implemention of USB in the DAC (and it highlights how few who actually seem to to get it right)
  • The Pulse sounds great using its USB outputs into the MMT. It sounds at least as good as the AES and SPDIF outputs into the MMT.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #69 of 85
In the midst of upgrading power cords (cables and connectors). It works really well to use the Pulse to evaluate different combinations. This strengthens my opinion of the quality of the Pulse series because when it’s easy to hear differences when tinkering and tweaking it also proves the quality of the design and construction. IMHO.

Anyway, if you’re auditioning or using the Pulse series and feel the maybe something is missing try switching power cords. You will be surprised! :wink:

P.S. Mainly using Kamasi Washington’s song ”Clair de Lune” to understand shifting tonal balance etc. It’s covers alot of ground and is a joy to listen to (even on repeat!).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #70 of 85
Hi 🙂...
One question,.has anyone tried an InnuOs Phoenix USB-reclocker together with a Pulse streamer..??

Attachments

• innuos-phoenix-usb-11~3.jpeg
    innuos-phoenix-usb-11~3.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #71 of 85
Hi 🙂...
One question,.has anyone tried an InnuOs Phoenix USB-reclocker together with a Pulse streamer..??
Yes, I tried that combo.

It was a clear improvement over USB directly from the Pulse. Decided to try Pulse + Phoenix USB vs Pulsar but in the end was unsure if my current setup is capable of highlighting differences so just let it be. Also settled on using AES and SPDIF instead of USB so didn’t put anymore effort into that comparison.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #72 of 85
Yes, I tried that combo.

It was a clear improvement over USB directly from the Pulse. Decided to try Pulse + Phoenix USB vs Pulsar but in the end was unsure if my current setup is capable of highlighting differences so just let it be. Also settled on using AES and SPDIF instead of USB so didn’t put anymore effort into that comparison.

BTW, this was the setup used:

Just so you know the actual USB setup looked like this:

Streamer/PC -> Shunyata Omega USB -> Phoenix USB -> Intona Reference USB -> DAC

IF you choose USB, again as I wrote in the previous post, I couldn’t hear any difference between the Pulse and Pulse Mini when using the Phoenix USB.

Also had the Pulse Mini on a KECES P8 LPS.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #73 of 85
Yes, I tried that combo.

It was a clear improvement over USB directly from the Pulse.
Interesting,.I bought a new Zen mk3 for an amazing price in January.
AND,.was thinking of upgrading it to a Zenith mk3 already….

You can do that at InnuOs in Portugal at a good price.
THEN,.an InnuOs Phoenix USB reclocker appeared,.only 15 months old at a good price.
I bought it,.and will get it home next week,so I'll wait to upgrade my Zen to Zenith for a while.

What you write about your impressions of the USB reclocker sounds promising.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #74 of 85
Experimenting with Pulse in ”Innuos Endpoint Mode” and thereby using Squeezelite Player with Roon instead of Roon Bridge. This is working very, very well. :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #75 of 85
♦️AND,.has anyone compared the difference in soundquality between Pulse and Zen mk3..?
I'm also looking for more of a specific comparison between these two, obviously streaming only since Pulse is just a streamer. From services like Tidal or Qobuz. With all else being equal (ie either using Roon from a separate source or native Sense app, and USB as output) how does the sound quality compare?

I currently use and enjoy a Zen mk3 but as I've owned it I've migrated more and more toward streaming vs playing local files. And these days, streaming is all I do. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace my Zen with a Pulse.
One thing that I’ve noted is how different music sounds when listening with Sense vs ROON.
I've recently rediscovered Sense. I tried it briefly when it was in its infancy but quickly went back to Roon for its superior UIX and features. But a couple days ago I fired Sense back up and my sense (see what I did) is that Sense sounds better. I need to do a targeted comparison with Roon but overall, music seems to sound fuller and more dimensional. However, I still miss the Roon UIX and features, most particularly how it plays and helps me discover new music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back