New Innuos Pulse Streamer Series
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #76 of 85
I'm also looking for more of a specific comparison between these two, obviously streaming only since Pulse is just a streamer. From services like Tidal or Qobuz. With all else being equal (ie either using Roon from a separate source or native Sense app, and USB as output) how does the sound quality compare?

I currently use and enjoy a Zen mk3 but as I've owned it I've migrated more and more toward streaming vs playing local files. And these days, streaming is all I do. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace my Zen with a Pulse.

I've recently rediscovered Sense. I tried it briefly when it was in its infancy but quickly went back to Roon for its superior UIX and features. But a couple days ago I fired Sense back up and my sense (see what I did) is that Sense sounds better. I need to do a targeted comparison with Roon but overall, music seems to sound fuller and more dimensional. However, I still miss the Roon UIX and features, most particularly how it plays and helps me discover new music.
I’ve heard both the Pulse and Zen mk3 but not at the same time so I can’t offer any comparison. However, in comparison with the ZenMini mk3 with LPS the Pulse was a large step forward.

FYI, after having owned the Pulse just a couple of months I’m now using an Auralic Aries G2.1 streamer. (This is a change that is firmly in the different rather than better camp.) My experience is that both Auralic Lightning DS and Innuos Sense sound better than Roon. But the trade-off IS giving up Roon’s ”superior UIX and features”, so totally agree there. Another kind of trade-off.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #77 of 85
FYI, after having owned the Pulse just a couple of months I’m now using an Auralic Aries G2.1 streamer. (This is a change that is firmly in the different rather than better camp.) My experience is that both Auralic Lightning DS and Innuos Sense sound better than Roon. But the trade-off IS giving up Roon’s ”superior UIX and features”, so totally agree there. Another kind of trade-off.
Is there a reason(s) you went with the Auralic over the Pulse?

And how do the two native apps (Lightning DS and Sense) compare in usability and features? I have been impressed by Innuos' apparent dedication to Sense. It seems like updates are pretty regular

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #78 of 85
I have both the Pulse Mini w/lps and Pulse in my room now, and the Pulsar coming on Thursday. The Pulse mini is sold and shipping out, this was my unit for the past few months, so I am very familiar with it. Pulse was noticeable improvement but nothing monumental, you'd have to be as familiar with the mini as an owner to really know the differences in what you're hearing..I'd say a little more weight and space and fluidity, less dry. I too have a TotalDAC (triunity) and I can say without question the Innuos streamers sound great with the dac.

I had roon in a past system set up with an Antipodes K50 and it was fine, but I never liked the way it sounded compared to what I left behind at that point (audirvana). But Sense on the other hand reminds me alot of Audirvana, simple, and sounds great. Roon is very flexible and allows for alot of integration I do not need.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #79 of 85
I have both the Pulse Mini w/lps and Pulse in my room now, and the Pulsar coming on Thursday. The Pulse mini is sold and shipping out, this was my unit for the past few months, so I am very familiar with it. Pulse was noticeable improvement but nothing monumental, you'd have to be as familiar with the mini as an owner to really know the differences in what you're hearing..I'd say a little more weight and space and fluidity, less dry. I too have a TotalDAC (triunity) and I can say without question the Innuos streamers sound great with the dac.

I had roon in a past system set up with an Antipodes K50 and it was fine, but I never liked the way it sounded compared to what I left behind at that point (audirvana). But Sense on the other hand reminds me alot of Audirvana, simple, and sounds great. Roon is very flexible and allows for alot of integration I do not need.
Agree on the likeness between Audirvana and Sense vs Roon. :thumbsup:

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #80 of 85
Is there a reason(s) you went with the Auralic over the Pulse?

And how do the two native apps (Lightning DS and Sense) compare in usability and features? I have been impressed by Innuos' apparent dedication to Sense. It seems like updates are pretty regular
The Auralic Aries G2.1 has been a favorite ever since I heard it the first time and, in a way, my ”end game”. When I bought the Pulse it was because a) wanting to move away from using my Mac as a streamer and b) saving a part of my budget for a better DAC.

As I auditioned DAC’s I came across the Mola Mola Tambaqui which I just fell in love with — what a DAC! And it was, as so often is the case with this hobby, well north of my budget for this year. :scream:

At the same time my dealer (I do ALL business with one dealer) had an Aries G2.1 for sale at a great price and offered me a nice trade-in so I shifted my priorities for this year. In the end it was not about the Pulse rather about me always wanting the Aries.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #81 of 85
The Auralic Aries G2.1 has been a favorite ever since I heard it the first time and, in a way, my ”end game”. When I bought the Pulse it was because a) wanting to move away from using my Mac as a streamer and b) saving a part of my budget for a better DAC.

As I auditioned DAC’s I came across the Mola Mola Tambaqui which I just fell in love with — what a DAC! And it was, as so often is the case with this hobby, well north of my budget for this year. :scream:

At the same time my dealer (I do ALL business with one dealer) had an Aries G2.1 for sale at a great price and offered me a nice trade-in so I shifted my priorities for this year. In the end it was not about the Pulse rather about me always wanting the Aries.
Makes sense, and nice get with the Mola Mola and dealer discount. I envy all those who have dealer relationships. It always sounds like a win-win.

Any comments on the different softwares? Now I'm exploring what options are out there besides Roon

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #82 of 85
The Pulse mini is sold and shipping out,
I was eyeing that unit you had for sale. Ultimately I decided I would opt for the Pulse if I decided to go for a dedicated streamer. Congrats on the sale

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #83 of 85
Makes sense, and nice get with the Mola Mola and dealer discount. I envy all those who have dealer relationships. It always sounds like a win-win.

Any comments on the different softwares? Now I'm exploring what options are out there besides Roon
Try maybe JPlay. Works with probably every streamer (I use with Holo Red). I switched from Roon to it a couple of months ago - no regrets.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #84 of 85

The Mola Mola will have to wait, this year I got the streamer.

If @carboncopy says JPlay I would highly suggest you try it, always gives great advice. Otherwise consider sticking with Sense as it’s integrated with Innuos hardware and sounds great.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #85 of 85
Try maybe JPlay. Works with probably every streamer (I use with Holo Red). I switched from Roon to it a couple of months ago - no regrets.
Looks like it's only for Windows or iOS, and I use neither lol. I'm Mac and Android. No worries. I'll continue to play around with Sense since I'm using an Innuos unit and it seems to sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back