New info: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2
Mar 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #106 of 475

Quote:

More Pictures Moar Pictures!!
etysmile.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #107 of 475

Quote:
I always thought that a higher impedance meant it's more demanding, power wise...

What determine if a headphone is hard to drive or not is it's sensitivity, not impedance. Now a lot of amps do struggle with high impedance headphones because some amps for example, a lot of solid state amps, might not supply the necessary power in a high impedance load. With typical ss designs as the impedance increase, the power decrease. Speaking hypothetically, if it puts out 800mw at 32ohm, it might output something like 150mw at 600ohms. Other designs, like typical otl tube amps, the power actually increase as the ohm load increase. so at 600ohms, it might output 800mw, but output significantly less at 32ohms.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #108 of 475
This what Garry says of the 6J8p tube--

The little hum is mainly coming from the brand new 6J8P. It could become smaller after 200 hours. It is more noticeable on <32ohm headphones. It is hardly noticeable on 60-300ohm headphones. If you really care about the little hum, you can get a pair of the RCA/Sylvania 6SJ7, 5693 or 6SD7 from eBay. They have less noise and hum. The Sylvania 6SD7 sounds very good to me. It opens up the high extension significantly, but it might not suitable for bright headphones.

Another method to minimize the hum is to switch the cold and hot AC wires in the power cord. If it becomes smaller, you get the right phase.   ____I did look at Ebay but I ordered mine thru surplus sales of Nebraska. They have alot tubes.

As far fit and finish I am more than satisfied.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #109 of 475

Quote:
This what Garry says of the 6J8p tube--
"
The little hum is mainly coming from the brand new 6J8P. It could become smaller after 200 hours. It is more noticeable on <32ohm headphones. It is hardly noticeable on 60-300ohm headphones. If you really care about the little hum, you can get a pair of the RCA/Sylvania 6SJ7, 5693 or 6SD7 from eBay. They have less noise and hum. The Sylvania 6SD7 sounds very good to me. It opens up the high extension significantly, but it might not suitable for bright headphones.

Another method to minimize the hum is to switch the cold and hot AC wires in the power cord. If it becomes smaller, you get the right phase."   ____I did look at Ebay but I ordered mine thru surplus sales of Nebraska. They have alot tubes.

As far fit and finish I am more than satisfied.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #110 of 475

Quote:

Which one did you order? I'm considering Sylvania 6SD7 as my speakers could use a little high end boost. Low end and mids are excellent.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #112 of 475
I have 2 6SD7 brand name PHILCO. I have also got 2 6SK7 tubes brand name KEN-RAD.The 6SK7 are JAN tubes accepted in 1943.They are also metal cans

I haven't tried them yet.I am really curios if they make a difference.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #115 of 475
I wonder if the SQ from the headphone out will be equal to the speaker outs.

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #117 of 475
Hi all.  I'm new here to the form.  I've been trying to take in the copious amounts of information that exists on Head-Fi - wow. 

Some of this lead to finding the MP mkII which I am very interested in.  I like the idea of being able to drive speakers as well,  as that gives me an upgrade path [the spkr/headphone amp can be moved to the office and be replaced by the next thing on my home system]. 

I am curious how this will stack up against the MingDa which many seem to like.  And, as others, I am VERY interested in how headphones sound through it. Also anxious to hear how the hum issues work out - apparently the first version was pretty quiet.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #118 of 475
Hey guys....I have a MP-301 original and friggin love it. I bought it for cans only but as an avid collector/gatherer/horde of JBL's I had to hook it up to some JBL ND310II and they are still playing sweet music with the MP 301 powering it.

JBL ND310II

then the 4312A Control Monitors

...and my personal favs S38II's

the synergy with these is perfect....so anyway I plugged in some headphones- modded Grado SR60's and SR125's, then I had to sit because I was listening to my ideal amp, small room, no one else to bother with, $250-"That must mean I'm dead and in heaven" nope, just Musical Paradise..drum roll, splash!!!!!
 I hang mostly on audiocircle and the guy there told me to get TUNG SOL  -6V6GT  like $35 shipped for a matched pair....I'm saving for MK2, I'm disabled and pretty much can't walk let alone play drums again....scary stuff but the music is nice!!!

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #120 of 475
Anyone else get their MK2 yet?

Popa, have you tried the PHILCO 6SD7 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back