New iMod for the iPod 5G: A Red Wine Audio/ALO Collaboration
May 17, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #227 of 456
Vinnie, Can't wait to get one but will wait for rockbox and 120GB first. I need them as I have nearly 100GB of flac at the moment and I'm not converting it all to apple lossless! I don't like itunes either, just my opinion.

Are these blackgates different to the blackgates that need 200 hours to sound their best? Or do you use the same caps but the 5G sounds better already (which it does), in spite of low burn in?

And for Vinnie and Ken, not being able to listen through the line out while using ac power is also a dealbreaker for me. If I get home with a flat battery I can't listen until it's charged.

Is there any chance you can make the IMOD LOD cable with an extra plug or cable in it so you can charge from AC or USB while listening through the line out?

Thanks,

Steve.

PS, to those who complain about the price, **** off and don't buy it then! I know we aren't paying Vinnie and Ken for parts, time, or service. We are paying them for skills we don't have and investments we haven't made.

And to those who say it's easy and they could do it, GREAT! How much will you charge me for your budget imod? I'll buy one at your super cheap price and compare them both.

May 17, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #228 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS, to those who complain about the price, **** off and don't buy it then! I know we aren't paying Vinnie and Ken for parts, time, or service. We are paying them for skills we don't have and investments we haven't made.

And to those who say it's easy and they could do it, GREAT! How much will you charge me for your budget imod? I'll buy one at your super cheap price and compare them both.

X2

May 17, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #229 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Just like nobody wants anything to do with the 3G.

I love my 3G!

May 17, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #230 of 456
I have placed my pre-order!
I've been using 4G iMod for a year and I like it very much. The iMod is now a good match with my newer Millett Hybrid portable for its smooth and refined presentation.
Can't wait to get that 5G iMod!

BTW, I was amazed by Ken's super fast e-mail response. My transaction with a few questions was completed in one hour.
This is welcome for us oversea headfiers. Thanks!

May 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #231 of 456
I have 2 4G iMod iPods, and I have no intention of getting rid of them - they sound fantastic. I will iMod my 80GB 5G, yes, but in the place I use my 4G iMod ones, I need to charge while listening. For the 80gb, which I use on the road, I don't. So for me it works out perfectly. These 2 versions will have slightly different applications, so I am glad Vinnie will keep offering the 4G iMod as well as doing the new one.

May 17, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #232 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have placed my pre-order!
I've been using 4G iMod for a year and I like it very much. The iMod is now a good match with my newer Millett Hybrid portable for its smooth and refined presentation.
Can't wait to get that 5G iMod!

BTW, I was amazed by Ken's super fast e-mail response. My transaction with a few questions was completed in one hour.
This is welcome for us oversea headfiers. Thanks!

I must agree, Ken is awesome with the quick communication

May 17, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #234 of 456
iMod the iPhone...sweet.

May 17, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #236 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0k1ngs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, but I just do not feel content with being mislead about the superior DAC in the 4g. In all honesty, that was the selling point of me needing that 4g iMod instead of waiting for a 5g... since the 4g's are approaching 2 years old now... I even HAVE a 5g, but purchased the 4g because it was "superior."

I guess I just have to "suck it up".

If you are unhappy with your 4g iMod, you always have a choice. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem selling it here on Head-Fi, and then you could get your 5G iModded.

If you buy something from a company there must always be the knowledge that something better, faster, newer my come out, even if at the time they say it won't. Technology changes and so do techniques and corporate partnerships, so very few things can be considered written in stone. When I bought my top of the line laptop I was extremely happy, a few months later they had already upgraded it. I don't feel deceived, and I'm still happy with my laptop. Same goes for my 4G iMod.

Personally as I read all these posts about the price being too much or a rip off, it gets me riled up. Both Vinnie and Ken are quality people and more importantly quality entrepreneurs to deal with. Vinnie has been super helpful with my 4G iMod, which has had some iPod connector issues. I was able to send it to him, and he spent time he wasn't getting paid for checking it out and making sure that it worked fine. He has answer all my email and voice mail messages and I don't feel deceived in the least bit regarding my purchase. While I am intrigued about getting a 5.5g iModded (waiting on the 120GB drive and the Rockbox issue to get solved for those bigger drives), I love my 4G iMod and enjoy using it. For my setup I really wanted a Rt. Angled Mini2Mini and Ken made a really nice one for me, unfortunately the switchcraft plug was a sucky one that several people had had problems with it. I contacted Ken and he took care of the issue very promptly. Now my portable system is great, and I would (and plan to in the future) spend my money with both companies. IMHO, the quality of service that they provide creates a loyal customer. I guess some of these attacking comments just make me want to scream that famous line from Ren and Stimpy...

Vinnie and Ken, you both have a customer here, for as long as my ears work.
etysmile.gif

May 17, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #237 of 456
I have reread the reviews of the 4g. Can the 5g be that much better? I don't think it will be too much of difference. The only thing would be which options suits you best. Also the 4g saves you about $250 to put towards the imod nano when it comes out.

May 17, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #238 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are unhappy with your 4g iMod, you always have a choice. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem selling it here on Head-Fi, and then you could get your 5G iModded.

I think you, and everyone else is missing tw0k1ngs point, he is simple a bit annoyed that he was told the 4th gen DAC was significantly superior to all other ipods (and specifically better than the 5th), whereas now we are being told thats not really the case.

Everything else is fine though, the Redwine/Alo products and services, everything being offered seems to be top notch. But tw0k1ngs has a fair point that the topic of 4th gen DAC being better than 5th was (possibly an accidental) misleading feature being promoted.

BTW, both the 4th and 5th gen imods look sweet, if I ever am forced away from my iriver, I think one of Vinnie's products is the only thing I could consider.

May 17, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #239 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please, everyone, let's keep this discussion civil!
biggrin.gif
Tempers are already high; let's not let this thread take a turn for the worse!
cool.gif

May 18, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #240 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please, everyone, let's keep this discussion civil!
biggrin.gif
Tempers are already high; let's not let this thread take a turn for the worse!
cool.gif

As a rudeness advocate for the National Incivility Institute, I find your insistence on decorum highly upsetting. Don't provoke me with your talk of being calm or I'll be forced to shriek and pummel inanimate objects, which will result in your taking me to court for emotional duress and my being sentenced to take a tranquility management class.

At some point, I'd like to own both versions of the iMod. I'm currently waiting Vinnie to finish performing cosmetic surgery on my 4G iMod Rev 1 and will probably want him to add really small 5G implants a year or so from now.

Briefly, I considered having the latest form of iMod surgery performed on my 4G (so that I could use the same dock for both iPods when I bought the 5G for maximum enjoyment). Then I awoke with a stinging hangover, and contemplating the original iMod seemed to provoke less skull-specific pain.

Prose and continents of iMod v.1 versus iMod v.2: More cable options vs. more output options; self-sufficiency vs. portability; cost vs. convenience.

Both packages are persuasive. Neither seems better in terms of avoiding compromise. Frankly, pals, I'd gladly clutch either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back