New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
May 18, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #511 of 584
You dont need an extra amp to power the fidelio x2 with the bushmaster. Even the bushmaster's baby brother the d-zero mk2 is powerful enough for the x2. The bushmaster has 4x the power of the z-zero mk2. :wink_face:

Be sure to use the bushmaster as a dac/amp and not as an amp only when connected to your laptop or phone to achieve the best results.

Totally agree.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #512 of 584
1) When using the D14 with usb input, do you plug the headphone in the port named "Phone"?
2) When connecting a headphone with mic input, do you get a tinny/weird sound? i.e not working properly 
3) When using USB mode, is it normal you can adjust the volume via computer controls i.e. keyboard?
and does that mean i'ts not bypassing the internal dac of my computer?
4) same as above but with OTG, is it normal to adjust the volume via android phone?

Plugging the headphone with mic compatibility works in the aux in/out works for me, however the volume knob doesn't do anything.

5) ^ is this normal?

Sorry if these questions been answered somewhere before.

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #513 of 584
  1) When using the D14 with usb input, do you plug the headphone in the port named "Phone"?
2) When connecting a headphone with mic input, do you get a tinny/weird sound? i.e not working properly 
3) When using USB mode, is it normal you can adjust the volume via computer controls i.e. keyboard?
4) same as above but with OTG, is it normal to adjust the volume via android phone?

Plugging the headphone with mic compatibility works in the aux in/out works for me, however the volume knob doesn't do anything.

5) ^ is this normal?

1) Yes.

2) I dont think I've ever had that issue.

3) Yes. Most people just turn it to max or have it at a preset volume.

4) I can't remember. Usually I think you can't?

not sure about 5. I'm sure others can chime in.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #514 of 584

5) ^ is this normal?

1. Yes this is a standard setup.

2. I've not tried this however :
a) You could be right & the mic input could be causing signal feedback.
b) This symptom sounds similar to what I had in a different setup but that was earphones with mic & buttons into an iPhone headphone socket. Holding down the buttons which did not control the iPhone stopped the tinny sound.
c) USB ports can be noisy.

3. Assuming Windows OS then yes the Computer System volume output to the DAC can still be controlled from the Desktop.

4. No experience with Android OTG but when using IPhone dock connection, the iPhone amp is bypassed so all signal comes out as 100% which cannot be adjusted on the phone. Are you adjusting the android volume in the phone system or a 3rd party app?

5. Using the AUX port means you are bypassing the D14 Amp so again here the volume cannot be adjusted.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #515 of 584
AUX when you have it hooked up to another source with volume control. I have mine connected to my laptop. HP port for headphones and AUX port to my 2.1 Logitech system. The Logitech has a volume control so the D14 is basically like a Line Out

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #516 of 584

Who know amp of D14?
I open the housing and see :
Dac Es9018k2m (okay fine)
Usb receiver Xmos (192khz, dsd)
Digital receiver interface Cirrus logic 6418 czz (192khz)

But opam !! Nothing. It was wipe away the code/name infos.
Why iBasso did it? Opam was not good to show off or they prevent fake/copy by others manufacturer?

Btw any chance to mod opamp by a Muses 8920?

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #517 of 584
Who know amp of D14?
I open the housing and see :
Dac Es9018k2m (okay fine)
Usb receiver Xmos (192khz, dsd)
Digital receiver interface Cirrus logic 6418 czz (192khz)

But opam !! Nothing. It was wipe away the code/name infos.
Why iBasso did it? Opam was not good to show off or they prevent fake/copy by others manufacturer?

Btw any chance to mod opamp by a Muses one?

I have asked Paul from IBasso a similar question & the response was that unless IBasso have officially released/listed this information then he cannot provide this information either. Headfonia Reviews also did state that IBasso have chosen not to disclose the OP-Amp section for the D14 for whatever reason.

I do believe it is to prevent reverse-engineering by rival manufacturers physically copying the setup to get quick information for which IBasso paid R&D costs incorporated into the D14.
As a customer, I can only hope that this was done for business agreement, competitive advantage or legal reasons etc. and not to shorthand the buyer with cheap chip copies. Imagine how dissappointed you'd be if you bought a shiny new laptop PC only to find its CPU core was made by Cyrix instead of Intel or AMD. Even if it performed as specified, your perception of that brand would be dented.

I wouldn't try to replace the mystery OPAMP with a MUSES02 as the D14 was not designed to be OPAMP rollable. The circuit board, caps & other chip buffers were designed for that mystery chip & won't sound as good with a different OPAMP chip.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #518 of 584
I have asked Paul from IBasso a similar question & the response was that unless IBasso have officially released/listed this information then he cannot provide this information either. Headfonia Reviews also did state that IBasso have chosen not to disclose the OP-Amp section for the D14 for whatever reason.

I do believe it is to prevent reverse-engineering by rival manufacturers physically copying the setup to get quick information for which IBasso paid R&D costs incorporated into the D14.
As a customer, I can only hope that this was done for business agreement, competitive advantage or legal reasons etc. and not to shorthand the buyer with cheap chip copies. Imagine how dissappointed you'd be if you bought a shiny new laptop PC only to find its CPU core was made by Cyrix instead of Intel or AMD. Even if it performed as specified, your perception of that brand would be dented.

I wouldn't try to replace the mystery OPAMP with a MUSES02 as the D14 was not designed to be OPAMP rollable. The circuit board, caps & other chip buffers were designed for that mystery chip & won't sound as good with a different OPAMP chip.

Thank you for great reply

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #519 of 584
Here's my thoughts on this excellent device:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-d14-bushmaster/reviews/16677

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #520 of 584
Aug 27, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #521 of 584

​

As requested
smily_headphones1.gif

sorry my DX90 is so dirty >.<' ... the pocket lint haha

Sorry for dragging up an old post but that short IC has me intrigued - where does one buy one of those beauties??

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #524 of 584
Yeah that cable does come with the D14. It's pretty nifty. Doesn't appear you can buy it though. Wish you could

EDIT: found one https://www.jdslabs.com/mobile/products/146/ultra-short-3-5mm-interconnect-cable/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back