New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 8, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #92 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I doubt that there will be "spare" tubes, I think the basic tubes is replaced with the premium ones.

If $10 get me the EF92, why stop there and not $10 more for the WE408A?
biggrin.gif
So the stock tubes are Chinese and the EF92 and WE408A are not? If so I guess the prestige factor might be worth it.
biggrin.gif

Are ^ the correct prices for the tubes???

From the Little Tube website it has this currently
$109 plus shipping for basic model (6JI)
$129 plus shipping for enhanced model
$159 plus shipping for top model

with the only difference being the tubes...ie the ef92 are $20 more than the 6JI and the 408a's are $30 more than the ef92. That makes the 408a's worth $50 more than the basic model...

You can pick up the 408a's on eBay for less than $8 a pair and if you don't really care for the 6JI tubes you can ask David to send u the amp minus the tubes for a small discount...Pick up some 408a's on eBay and u can have the top model for less than $110 plus shipping.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #93 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's awesome to hear. The one fear I have about little-known chinese manufacturers like Little Dot and Darkvoice is how well do they communicate with their customers, and how well do they support their products.

Keep us informed with how the transaction goes and how you like the product
biggrin.gif

That's a valid concern, which everyone should consider carefully. Though, I didn't find the language barrier to be much of an issue.

While I had no issues with my DV332, and it is a phenomenal amp... the vendor (3c-Store) did ship me the wrong amp (240v instead of 120v), and I had to buy a voltage transformer/converter to operate it in the US. I was unable to get the vendor to prepay the cost of the shipping for the return exchange - the cost to return it was about $90.

That's a major barrier to obtaining warranty support on the Chinese amps - you really must consider the cost of returning them for warranty support, which in the case of the DV337 is $160+.

There are few amps for <$1000 as good, or better, than the Darkvoice amps, if you have no problems... but... you must accept the significant risk of the cost of warranty support. I'm sure its similar for Little Dot amps.

The Chinese vendors really should establish US / EU dealerships & warranty support, or adopt a policy of prepayment for return shipping. Or, at the least, establish a local US / EU return shipping point to represent them. If they were to do that, there would be no reservations about buying them. Since the risk of loss is so low, you would think they would do that, because I'm sure their losses would be very easily made up by their total margins, even if they had to raise their prices $10-15 to fund the prepayment policy.

This would seem like a "no brainer" policy. I suppose US / EU buyers are so confident in the amps, that the Chinese vendors don't believe they need to do that, but since there would be very little risk, they really should. I'm sure a lot more buyers would try their amps, if they did.

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #94 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are ^ the correct prices for the tubes???

From the Little Tube website it has this currently
$109 plus shipping for basic model (6JI)
$129 plus shipping for enhanced model
$159 plus shipping for top model

with the only difference being the tubes...ie the ef92 are $20 more than the 6JI and the 408a's are $30 more than the ef92. That makes the 408a's worth $50 more than the basic model...

You can pick up the 408a's on eBay for less than $8 a pair and if you don't really care for the 6JI tubes you can ask David to send u the amp minus the tubes for a small discount...Pick up some 408a's on eBay and u can have the top model for less than $110 plus shipping.

I guess your prices are the correct ones, we took the prices at the top of the page. If tubes can be obtained so cheaply, I guess it made sense to buy the cheapest one.

Do you have a link on the WE408A mentioned? I can't find it on eBay and I really have no idea where to buy tubes in general.

Edit: https://www.tubeworld.com/hotdeals.htm 10 used 408A for $35, I guess I'm going for the basic model.
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #95 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess your prices are the correct ones, we took the prices at the top of the page. If tubes can be obtained so cheaply, I guess it made sense to buy the cheapest one.

Do you have a link on the WE408A mentioned? I can't find it on eBay and I really have no idea where to buy tubes in general.

Edit: https://www.tubeworld.com/hotdeals.htm 10 used 408A for $35, I guess I'm going for the basic model.
biggrin.gif

There is 5 NOS for 9.95 BIN at eBay My World - the-radio-tube-supply-company
I think these are Sylvanias....I managed to pickup some Tung-Sols and WE 408a's in the past week for less than $3 a tube...They come up regularly on eBay...

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #96 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a few queries - first, what kind of transistors are employed in the output stage? Jfets? Mosfets? Also, what sort of output current does it provide at various impedances? The forum thread lists total output power, but does not break this up into voltage/current.

Q1.BD139/BD140
Q2、Support 32~600ohms headphones
3、
6.7V 0.22A @ 300 ohms
6 V 0.05A@ 120 ohms
5V 0.16A @ 32 ohms

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #97 of 805
Is a stock LD MK III still better than a I+ with a 408A?

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #98 of 805
with mid-high impedance phones the MKIII wins...with low impedance...who knows ? No one has tried the I+ yet...the I+ outputs more current so it will probably be better with some phones...let's wait for some reviews
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #99 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with mid-high impedance phones the MKIII wins...with low impedance...who knows ? No one has tried the I+ yet...the I+ outputs more current so it will probably be better with some phones...let's wait for some reviews
wink.gif

Thanks! I'll probably wait for reviews and decide which to buy. I'd like something that will amp well a SR60, SR225 and HD600

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #101 of 805
My amp is in Finland but about 150 km's away still...

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #102 of 805
Well, reading this thread has motivated me to try one out. Just hit the magical blue button. Waiting for David for the invoice. My curiosity got the best of me for its power for low impedance phones.

It has been stated many times before- David's customer service is second to none. I really can't emphasize it enough. I have been emailing him throughout the day with certain questions on the amp and every single one of them have been answered in record time and always explaining everything in detail. This will be my third amp from LD and I have to say certainly not my last...

Jes

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #103 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, reading this thread has motivated me to try one out. Just hit the magical blue button. Waiting for David for the invoice. My curiosity got the best of me for its power for low impedance phones.

It has been stated many times before- David's customer service is second to none. I really can't emphasize it enough. I have been emailing him throughout the day with certain questions on the amp and every single one of them have been answered in record time and always explaining everything in detail. This will be my third amp from LD and I have to say certainly not my last...

Jes

Agreed. I recently emailed David regarding a power switch issue on my MKIII and he answered instantly and advised me how to fix the problem. It worked just as he explained it! I too am thinking of picking this amp up for an office system -perhaps with Denon AH-D1001s!

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #104 of 805
Meh, it seems that mine was delayed for some reason, and it just shipped out today, as opposed to yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back