New HTC One M8 audio review
Apr 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #76 of 874
  Yeah it does seem extremely shady. But I wasn't overly worried as I knew if I had gone into it, I would have definitely got a refund from Paypal, under 'no item was received' or something of the sort.

I'm contemplating getting this phone, but I'm not sure whether or not I should wait and see what LG brings out with their new LG G3. I don't think Ill head towards samsung as they have never really caught my eye. Yes it has a lot of software features, but I truly love a beautiful phone, similar to that of the iPhone. The Xperia Z2 seemed quite nice as well, but then again I'm not sure I'm a fan of their design. Spec wise its top notch however.

Coming from Z1, sound isn't that great. Lack of amp also meant terribly low output so if you've something that usually requires an amp, forget it lol. However the walkman app is quite good and has decent equalizer.

I've got the HTC 3 days ago and am very liking it, UI is definitely nicer than Sony's. Even though only 2gb ram it is flying and is quite impressive.. boomsound is ok, you can't configure anything though... but the audio output is nuts, just like the dude above I barely have my volume at 40-50%, compared to 90-100% on the Z1. Boomsound also has a 3d effect which is good with some genres, but it also cranks up the bass and a lot of treble - much like Sony's clearaudio+..

Bring your headphone and test it out at a retail before buying is my advice lol

*Finally had time to test with my E17, usb out works perfectly fine! And the sound is much cleaner, makes boomsound seem too processed if that makes sense

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #77 of 874
Hey, anyone know how to reduce system wide volume when using headphones/earphones?, the volume is too loud on the minimum setting with my sensitive iems. Also, has anyone noticed more interference when using the visualizer and headphones, it only happens sometimes, mainly when listening to flacs so it perhaps has something to do with cpu usage, thanks for any thoughts.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #78 of 874
  Hey, anyone know how to reduce system wide volume when using headphones/earphones?, the volume is too loud on the minimum setting with my sensitive iems. Also, has anyone noticed more interference when using the visualizer and headphones, it only happens sometimes, mainly when listening to flacs so it perhaps has something to do with cpu usage, thanks for any thoughts.

Faux Sound will help you reduce your gain. :)

Can you do me a huge favor? Do you hear a white "hissing" for about 3 seconds after you are playing music then suddenly stop it?

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #80 of 874
That`s the amp shutting off after sound has stopped, I hear it, although it`s pretty minimal, it`s notably worse when using visualizer. Does faux sound work on your device, says incompatible with the stock kernel for me......

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #81 of 874

How would you compare headphone quality of M8 to Z1? I have been debating about one or the other...

I like the M8 better, sounds more full and you will benefit from the internal amp they've put in! However I think the Z1 was more neutral, and I prefer more of a V sound so that's probably why I prefer the M8.. and that's without HTC's boomsound on!

The Z2 might be worth waiting for, has NC built in if that is of any value to you, but without an amp I think output will be a bit too weak, just like any other androids that I've had experiences with.

I've always preferred iphone's sound, but I think the M8 is actually just as good! If you are comparing with Z1, get the M8.. but Z2 is out very soon so if you prefer Sony's design maybe wait till the end of this month.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #82 of 874
Faux Sound will help you reduce your gain. :)

Can you do me a huge favor? Do you hear a white "hissing" for about 3 seconds after you are playing music then suddenly stop it?

I did a quick search around and it seems like Faux Sound is one of the most popular options out there. I'm not sure how it works (adjust digital gain?), but would that decrease sound quality in any way?

Decided to search for a volume minimizer because with my sensitive JH16, the sound even at the lowest level is quite loud!

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #83 of 874
Another good thing with the M8 is the battery life...

First phone I've had where I am comfortable with not needing to charge it every day (been off charge now for example for 26hrs, and has 78% battery left, and that is with using it for some music playback) - far superior to the GN3 and iPhone 5S I use as well...

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #84 of 874
Another good thing with the M8 is the battery life...

First phone I've had where I am comfortable with not needing to charge it every day (been off charge now for example for 26hrs, and has 78% battery left, and that is with using it for some music playback) - far superior to the GN3 and iPhone 5S I use as well...

That's funny...because I think it's worse. But maybe it's because I'm streaming a bit more music from it but it's not that much more. Haven't been all that impressed w it battery wise yet. My nexus 5 is just as good if not better after a week and a half.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #85 of 874
Updated HTC Butterfly appears to have 13mp camera...

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-butterfly-2-benchmark-13mp-camera-364988/

M8 sounds + real camera -- then could rule the world.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #86 of 874
Odd!

Here is my current battery stats...

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #87 of 874
I guess, the output impedance should be less than 5-6 ohm~.
Using my UE900, which have less deepbass, the higher the output impedance goes, and i cannot spot any deficite compared to my Galaxy S3, which was just fine with 3.45 Ohm.
On my Asus Phoebus (around 10 ohm) it was hearable lower.

Too bad i'm missing an Aux cable to try a RMAA measure.

But what i can say... Boomsound feature on headphones is pretty much a similar Trash like "beats Audio" was. Just an EQ presetting which raised bass, treble, (maybe some parts of the mids) and overall loudness.
Its not a bit cleared or anything. Only the raised treble are destroying the effect pretty much. Trebles is hurting in my ears, and i was an Beyerdynamic DT 880 user, and am (since almost 2 years now) a T90 user, with which i have no problems at the treble. But that Boomsound setting makes my ears hurt/bleed. Sooo much/sharp treble.

I think, you really have to use crappy **** headphones with only muddy bass and almost zero treble, so that Boomsound (just like beats audio) makes it actually sound better/clearer.

On my UE900, which are much more neutral than my T90 (especially in the treble) are not that painful, but it still sound "worse" to me.

Other than that, im not disappointed in the audioquality, but am still curious about more technical informations/measurements

So far.. Pretty much one of the best smartphones ever built, with the least cons.

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #89 of 874
Trouble with boomsound to me is that it adds too much reverb...  i'm not really a fan of the whole concert hall thing - adding in the extra bass,,,  yuck...

YMMV though, I might have to try it with my ESW9s - if I can prise the |E800 out of the headphone jack ::)

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #90 of 874
Well, the added bass isnt really bad with neutral UE900. But the treble gain is way too much. Almost every single song gets very shart sibilants/hi-hats/etc. It almost sounds like a distortion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back