New Hifiman HM-802 DAP Announced
Jul 6, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #106 of 133
Sep 10, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #107 of 133
I have been listening Hm802 with Minibox card for a while. I make some comparisons between Hm901+standard amp card and hm802+standart amp card. Hm802 sounds good for its value. However, enstruments' sounds are not good enough and there are some tone problems on upper mids. The main problem is that hm802 lacks a bit of dynamics. Of course, h802 is better than mid-class daps. It has a place between high-end and mid-class daps. 

On the other hand, hm802+minibox is really good. It is close to HM901+standard card. Minibox card fixes the dynamism and tone problem as much as possible. I haven't heard IEM card yet. In sum, minibox card makes a real difference regarding the standard amp card.  

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #108 of 133
I have been listening Hm802 with Minibox card for a while. I make some comparisons between Hm901+standard amp card and hm802+standart amp card. Hm802 sounds good for its value. However, enstruments' sounds are not good enough and there are some tone problems on upper mids. The main problem is that hm802 lacks a bit of dynamics. Of course, h802 is better than mid-class daps. It has a place between high-end and mid-class daps. 

On the other hand, hm802+minibox is really good. It is close to HM901+standard card. Minibox card fixes the dynamism and tone problem as much as possible. I haven't heard IEM card yet. In sum, minibox card makes a real difference regarding the standard amp card.  

How does hm802+minibox card compare to hm901+minibox card? Are they more or less similar or 901 is better?

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #109 of 133
How does hm802+minibox card compare to hm901+minibox card? Are they more or less similar or 901 is better?

Hm802+minibox is very close to 901+standard card. Hm802 +minibox has a more dynamic sound but a bit less detail, in a little warm atmosphere.

901+minibox is better than hm802+minibox. There is a detail and dynamism difference. Hm901+minibox is on better side. 901+minibox also has more neutral sound than 802+minibox.

The real difference occurs when we switch from minibox to balanced card on Hm901.  802+minibox cannot compete with Hm901+balanced. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #110 of 133
For those who have this and the balanced card - is the balanced/standard switch on the HM-802 only relevant with the balanced card?  I'm trying to understand if that switch is only engaged with the appropriate installed card i.e. the balanced mode only applies if the balanced card is installed, and the standard mode only applies if a non-balanced card is installed.  In short, I want to verify if the balanced/standard switch works one way or two ways when a balanced card is installed.  If the standard switch works with non-balanced earphones/headphones when the balanced card is installed, that would be icing on the cake. Please, can someone who owns the HM-802/balanced card setup verify this. Thanks.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #113 of 133
  For those who have this and the balanced card - is the balanced/standard switch on the HM-802 only relevant with the balanced card?  I'm trying to understand if that switch is only engaged with the appropriate installed card i.e. the balanced mode only applies if the balanced card is installed, and the standard mode only applies if a non-balanced card is installed.  In short, I want to verify if the balanced/standard switch works one way or two ways when a balanced card is installed.  If the standard switch works with non-balanced earphones/headphones when the balanced card is installed, that would be icing on the cake. Please, can someone who owns the HM-802/balanced card setup verify this. Thanks.

The balanced switch works only with balanced card to get balanced output from the player. If you put minibox or etc it wouldn't be active. Even you switch to balanced mod while a minibox or standard card installed, the sound does not change.  

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #116 of 133
  Isn't the hm-802 just a repackaged hm-801?

Err... no? That'll be like saying Mars is Earth in red. They are two totally different DAP. HM802 is much closer to HM901.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back