New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Mar 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #781 of 6,017
It may be a FedEx drop, which is where FedEx carries the package the long distances and through customs, and then dumps it off at the post office.  Then, the mail carrier brings it to your home.  This could be miles away from your home.  It's just where the major hubs are.

Quote:
When I check the fedex tracking number they emailed me, it tells me that the destination is Quebec, PK. Anyone else have this issue? I definitely don't live there. I'm guessing this is just a fedex thing, not an actual problem with the shipping address, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here was experiencing this as well.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #782 of 6,017

Quote:
It may be a FedEx drop, which is where FedEx carries the package the long distances and through customs, and then dumps it off at the post office.  Then, the mail carrier brings it to your home.  This could be miles away from your home.  It's just where the major hubs are.

This is the same thing that happened with the first batch. Very confusing.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #783 of 6,017

Quote:
The C2C might be enough for the HE-400s. I don't know enough about it. I would pretty much forget about using them with your Zune, however.

Regards,
Adam

Thanks i think i am just getting caught up in the new can hype. I been thinking about it over the weekend and i think i will work on my setup. Invest in changing my setup to focus more around my computer than my cd player. So i guess its the less glamorous purchases of a DAC and new amp. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if the HE-400s will work for me down the road.

I am glad to see people's HE-400s are shipping and i am looking forward to reading more reviews.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #784 of 6,017

Quote:
New HE-400 review: http://www.avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-400-headphone-playback-54

Reading this review it seems that these are a headphone that is very good, but held back from their potential due mostly to the coloured frequency response.

I am very interested to see how it would respond to eq, but more curious as to whether it could be given a more neutral response by tuning the damping materials within the headphone.
We know that Fang deliberately tuned it for a coloured mass market sound, and I think it is at least possible that we could re-tune it more to our own tastes without too much difficulty.
Does anyone know of any comparisons between the damping setups of previous HiFiMAN headphones?

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #787 of 6,017

Quote:
I have read all of the reviews and I pretty much agree with them. I owned a pair of these and tried to like them. They are dark - as in LCD-2 and HD650 dark.

If I could ask, how were you powering your pair of HE-400s?

So far, I've used a few options:

iPod Classic / iPod Touch --> LOD Cable --> HifiMAN EF-2A Amp --> HE-400 Headphones.  My iPod Classic does a much better job with the sound due to the Wolfson DACs.  This combination provides a smoother, and a bit more laid back sound with the tubes used and is somewhat expected in this sort of arrangement.

iPod Classic / iPod Touch --> LOD Cable --> Objective2 Amp --> HE-400 Headphones.  My iPod Classic does a much better job with the sound due to the Wolfson DACs.  With this combination, I have a much more neutral sound, yet not as laid back as when I use the EF-2A amp.  However, there are certain genres or artists that I'll prefer to use the EF-2A for.  There are those times when some Van Morrison might strike me, and the EF-2A is usually in closer reach, so that option is utilized.  However, I was listening to some of music of The Civil Wars and while they are a bit mellow, their music has some great strings work in it.  With the O2 amp, I felt that the HE-400 provided a very good sound in portraying the strings and didn't seem to have a dark side to it at all.

In relative terms, I find the HE-400 way, way more on the neutral side of sound when compared to my modified Fostex T50RP headphones.  Now, those is what I'd classify more as a darker sound being presented.  But, I almost have to keep them in my use and rotation if I want to listen to music as I go to sleep.  The open headphones will disturb my wife.  She just doesn't understand how someone can make a headphone that others can also hear.  I gave up trying to explain the "open" concept to her.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #790 of 6,017

Quote:
If I could ask, how were you powering your pair of HE-400s?

So far, I've used a few options:

iPod Classic / iPod Touch --> LOD Cable --> HifiMAN EF-2A Amp --> HE-400 Headphones.  My iPod Classic does a much better job with the sound due to the Wolfson DACs.  This combination provides a smoother, and a bit more laid back sound with the tubes used and is somewhat expected in this sort of arrangement.

iPod Classic / iPod Touch --> LOD Cable --> Objective2 Amp --> HE-400 Headphones.  My iPod Classic does a much better job with the sound due to the Wolfson DACs.  With this combination, I have a much more neutral sound, yet not as laid back as when I use the EF-2A amp.  However, there are certain genres or artists that I'll prefer to use the EF-2A for.  There are those times when some Van Morrison might strike me, and the EF-2A is usually in closer reach, so that option is utilized.  However, I was listening to some of music of The Civil Wars and while they are a bit mellow, their music has some great strings work in it.  With the O2 amp, I felt that the HE-400 provided a very good sound in portraying the strings and didn't seem to have a dark side to it at all.

In relative terms, I find the HE-400 way, way more on the neutral side of sound when compared to my modified Fostex T50RP headphones.  Now, those is what I'd classify more as a darker sound being presented.  But, I almost have to keep them in my use and rotation if I want to listen to music as I go to sleep.  The open headphones will disturb my wife.  She just doesn't understand how someone can make a headphone that others can also hear.  I gave up trying to explain the "open" concept to her.

I was using my Peachtree Audio Nova at the time, and I also plugged them in direct to my iPod and Sansa Clip just for grins.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #791 of 6,017

Quote:
I was using my Peachtree Audio Nova at the time, and I also plugged them in direct to my iPod and Sansa Clip just for grins.

Thanks.  I'm aware of the Peachtree - but, haven't tried one, yet.  Also, while I have a Sansa Fuze, I haven't tried directing the sound directly from it or the iPod to the HE-400s, because I always have an amp in the chain somewhere.  About the only time I've driven headphones without an amp, it's when I've been using some "ahem" Skullcandy earbuds for outside work.

However, just last evening, I had one of the Wynton Marsalis "Standards" playing through the Touch --> O2 Amp -- HE-400s.  They really performed well with that New Orleans Jazz sound.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #794 of 6,017

Quote:
Thanks.  I'm aware of the Peachtree - but, haven't tried one, yet.  Also, while I have a Sansa Fuze, I haven't tried directing the sound directly from it or the iPod to the HE-400s, because I always have an amp in the chain somewhere.  About the only time I've driven headphones without an amp, it's when I've been using some "ahem" Skullcandy earbuds for outside work.

However, just last evening, I had one of the Wynton Marsalis "Standards" playing through the Touch --> O2 Amp -- HE-400s.  They really performed well with that New Orleans Jazz sound.

The Peachtree has a very nice headphone amp and DAC built in. I have compared it directly with the Burson HA-160, Violectric V90, and the O2 and it is comparable to all of them (which I think says a lot about the O2!, which I really like).

I returned the HE-400's before acquiring the O2 and Violectric, so I can't say with certainty that they might have changed things, but I'm confident that the HE-400's were properly amped by the Peachtree Nova based on all of my extensive listening (including blind comparisons).

The HE-400, being planar, should be much more consistent sounding from amp to amp compared to many typical low impedance dynamic headphones. That's why I'm comfortable in reporting my thoughts that the HE-400 is a "dark" headphone.

PS: My Peachtree is listed for sale if you want to try one sooner than later...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back