NEW HiBy R4
May 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #586 of 877
Hi, I’d like to ask what player do you guys recommend on a device like the R4 ?
It’s been a while since I had an android device and this is my first DAP.

The hiby music app is not cutting it for me, it keeps restarting after waking the device from sleep mode, even while music is still playing in the background.

I tried Poweramp and so far it’s my favorite in terms off user interface, customization and it is way snappier. Unfortunately it’s not bit perfect… does it really matter if most of my local library is 16bit 44.1khz FLAC with several 24bit 96khz albums ?

Also I did the overheating test and it seems that my unit is fine, after 30 min of playback, quiet-therm-adc was at 30°C.
UAPP (usb android player) is the one i plan to test, hopefully later today.

May 20, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #587 of 877
UAPP (usb android player) is the one i plan to test, hopefully later today.
I find UAPP suits me better than any other player I've tried.
I've used it with DAPs and on my phone with various dongle DACs etc.
It is well supported, with regular updates from the devs.

May 20, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #589 of 877
I did the beta update and now the volume doesn't go higher than 65........ Is it possible to have the basic firmware ?
I did the Beta update as well, and that is also happening with my unit, volume doesn't go over 65.

I also noticed 2 other issues with the beta firmware:
1. When no headphones are plugged in, the headphone icon is flashing non stop, and the volume changing between 40 and 90. I have both the Spdif and USB digital volume locks are turned on. The flashing does not stop if I turn off the volume locks. I am in phone out, not line out.

2. With headphones plugged in or unplugged, the "gain" in the dropdown is greyed out and says "Gain Locked Unavailable."

I sent a PM to @Joe Bloggs to make him aware, and I guess he should also be aware of this volume issue as well. I'm assuming these will all be addressed by the time the the stable firmware is ready to be released to the public.

May 20, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #590 of 877
I did the beta update and now the volume doesn't go higher than 65........ Is it possible to have the basic firmware ?
It's worth remembering that beta releases are for the purposes of testing, and they may contain bugs, that are then highlighted to developers, who then fix the bugs, and finally release stable firmware versions.

If one isn't happy being a tester, it's best to wait for a stable release to come along.

May 20, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #591 of 877
It's worth remembering that beta releases are for the purposes of testing, and they may contain bugs, that are then highlighted to developers, who then fix the bugs, and finally release stable firmware versions.

If one isn't happy being a tester, it's best to wait for a stable release to come along.
Unfortunately, all true, next time I wait. We hope you can have the basic firmware to restore the unit .......

May 20, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #592 of 877
I did the Beta update as well, and that is also happening with my unit, volume doesn't go over 65.

I also noticed 2 other issues with the beta firmware:
1. When no headphones are plugged in, the headphone icon is flashing non stop, and the volume changing between 40 and 90. I have both the Spdif and USB digital volume locks are turned on. The flashing does not stop if I turn off the volume locks. I am in phone out, not line out.

2. With headphones plugged in or unplugged, the "gain" in the dropdown is greyed out and says "Gain Locked Unavailable."

I sent a PM to @Joe Bloggs to make him aware, and I guess he should also be aware of this volume issue as well. I'm assuming these will all be addressed by the time the the stable firmware is ready to be released to the public.
My R4 is like this too.

May 20, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #594 of 877
IMG_7177.jpeg
Is this normal? I could put it in my lunchbox and have hot lunch by noon!
High gain, vol 60, and Artti T10 my most demanding IEM hooked up. Streaming Tidal with no plugins active.

May 20, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #595 of 877

Yep, I never download a software update till well after it’s released and had a further revision to iron out the bugs,

I used to mess about with my own music studio setup and performing a software update for either Mac/Audio interface/Ableton/Native Instruments/synth plug ins etc was sooo stressful that i allowed an entire weekend without any disturbances to get it done and work through the changes.

May 20, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #596 of 877
Is this normal? I could put it in my lunchbox and have hot lunch by noon!
High gain, vol 60, and Artti T10 my most demanding IEM hooked up. Streaming Tidal with no plugins active.

Is it normal?, I’d be impressed if it was one of those winter hand warmers you ignite and place in your pocket but for a dap I’d say “not optimal” :wink:

May 20, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #598 of 877
I just received my R4 and did some tests with the 'Device Info HW' app listed in a post above. I played an album through HiBy Music, with no PEQ, MSEB, or Plugin active. I then did the same thing with a system-wide PEQ filter (low-shelf), MSEB active (overall temp. slightly darker), and DRX10K plugin active. I ran the test with my Sundara (4.4mm balanced) and Moondrop Para (3.5mm SE). I choose Para because of its low impedance.

Here are the 'quiet-therm-adc' plots:
1716244568487.png

So, everything appears normal, my R4 does heat up, but slowly... I stopped the tests at 25mn, but I assume the temperature would stabilize around 42-43 degC.
Temperatures and rates are a little higher with the balanced output (as expected) but nothing to worry about.

My music library (~13k tracks) is stored in a OneDrive account. I used OneSync to mirror it through WiFi. With the "parallel download" setting enabled, it did crash the R4 several times... Severely enough to require a hard reboot in some cases!

Wondering what happened, I did another test with OneSync running in the background...
The orange curve below represents the R4 playing the same album through HiBy Music and Moondrop Para (3.5mm SE), no PEQ, MSEB or Plugin enabled, same volume. So, the most favorable case... but with OneSync running in the background (sync'ing tracks).
Note the different Y-scale:
1716244788587.png

The difference of behavior is quite staggering. It's obviously not enough data to draw a definitive conclusion, but I wonder whether thermals are going to be the R4 limitation: perfect to play music, even with a bunch of DSP effects active... but don't try to run CPU/GPU-intensive apps !!!

My M300 only shows 'xo-therm-adc'. On the R4, 'xo-therm-adc' seems to parallel 'quiet-therm-adc'. Noticeably, my M300 'xo-therm-adc' stays in the 29-30 degC and does not appears to change much. After all, there may be a reason why the R4 is an "audiophile" oriented DAP (to play music...), whereas the M300 is a "lifestyle" oriented DAP (to play music and do other things).

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #599 of 877
I have a black Hiby R4, using low gain going between a 2.1 system and moondrop chu 2 IEMs, no issues with overheating yet. Gets slightly warm, but certainly no cause for alarm. Only using for Apple Music and other music app playback, not really investigating multitasking, as this is a DAP.

Received mine on Saturday, only one or two sessions at around an hour each and a couple of shorter listening session.

Sound quality is fantastic, no EQ or plugins, very satisfied. Coming from a Sony NW-A55, seeking a device for streaming, so far this has met all expectations.

May 20, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #600 of 877
if you don't open it, copy the link and open it elsewhere, yes the class A gets very hot but mine reached 55 degrees, hiby says it should stay below 45 after 15 minutes... Here it is
One would look for the "quiet-therm-adc" entry in the list of temperatures in Device Info HW.

You would start the test by with the device having more than 30% charge while the USB charger is unplugged. (charge to at least 30% if not)

The "quiet-therm-adc" needs to be below 40 degrees Celsius at the start of the test. Disconnect headphones and let the device rest until this is true, if the device is too hot to start with.

Connect headphones to either 3.5mm or 4.4mm output and start playing music.

*if quiet-therm-adc rises above 45 degrees celsius within 15 min. of this, while the outside environmental temperature is no different from the start, the device may be regarded as defective.

*if quiet-therm-adc does not rise above 45 degrees, or rises above 45 degrees only after more than 15 minutes, the rate of heat generation is considered within normal range and can be effectively dealt with by existing heat dissipation mechanisms.
got my R4 today, did this, stayed below 45... the only time it ever goes over 40 is if internet is on and im downloading something.

It's not all doom and gloom!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back