NEW HiBy R4
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #226 of 239
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #227 of 239
Per spec., the R4 is class A only. There is nothing to turn off (except completely off :ksc75smile:), or turn into: it does not offer a Class A/B “eco” mode.

The R5–II was different, with an “eco” mode using the DAC/Amp integrated amp, or an additional, higher power discrete amp stage.
Thanks for the clarification! Still gonna pick this r4 up as a big hiby fan and this helps to temper my expectations on what I can expect firmware wise. The m300 was so close to being the upgrade I needed from my r5gen2 but the lack of usb dac functionality, a previous track button and liking the sound less than the r5gen2 lead me to selling my copy. The R4 looks like a good modest upgrade/sidegrade in everything other than battery life. Preorder secured!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #229 of 239
so the wording of "orders expected to be shipped gradually before mid-May." is somewhat confusing. Are SOME preorder shipping now, with all of the expected to be shipped by mid-May, or are they all starting to ship in mid-May?
I’d love to know this, too! Getting excited for the R4, as these temps are rising here in MI, USA!!!

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #232 of 239
so the wording of "orders expected to be shipped gradually before mid-May." is somewhat confusing. Are SOME preorder shipping now, with all of the expected to be shipped by mid-May, or are they all starting to ship in mid-May?
I'm getting my unit in 3-4 weeks directly from Japan. So I guess, the distributors/retailers got first dibs on these and the end consumer like us next! Fingers crossed!

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #233 of 239
I was able to order the black one from Lazada via a big electronics retailer based in Japan. I hope that's the black colored unit everyone's talking about or is there another same colored unit with different specs?
There is a special edition black which comes with A/B amp. The standard black edition comes with a class A amp. Not much of a difference in sound. The A/B version naturally has slightly better battery life. It’s limited to China only.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #234 of 239
So I have this ordered, and would like to use it on my desktop hooked up my KEF LSX IIs that I use. The KEF app for streaming is awful, so that's my main reason. I assume the DAC in those is better than the R4, so running USB-C to USB-C is my best bet for best sound quality there, correct?

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #235 of 239
There is a special edition black which comes with A/B amp. The standard black edition comes with a class A amp. Not much of a difference in sound. The A/B version naturally has slightly better battery life. It’s limited to China only.
I don't really understand the logic behind why that product variant exists for a target market that's probably not going to appreciate that much versus all the other audiophiles outside China. And for a limited time only?

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #237 of 239
I don't really understand the logic behind why that product variant exists for a target market that's probably not going to appreciate that much versus all the other audiophiles outside China. And for a limited time only?
its a special release for a certain event. its really not a big deal, there are regional variants in every electronic hardware there is.

if you want it enough, import it.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #238 of 239
We are actually going to try to match the colours, however, there's a limited number of players of each colour and also a limited number of straps of each colour, and the limits may not line up, so we can't guarantee that it will be a match.
Bonus trick question to English majors: is it a strap or a lanyard? 🥴

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom/po...sKVCFwcJf86xgSWuy2r8atYua9auS56MpeJtgAt59AsCl

As far as I can tell, a lanyard is a one-point attached "strap" for carrying small objects while a strap can also be carrying small objects but is defined by its attachment mechanism, e.g. it's a watch strap not a watch lanyard but also a camera strap not a camera lanyard. It seems more about the object than the body position to me.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 29, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #239 of 239
I expect it to mean that they have started shipping, but it will be slow before the end of the Chinese labour holidays, which is now officially only 3 days instead of a whole week, but still a major downtime for factories, I gather.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back