(New Here!) Looking for Hi-Fi quality headphones with a $50-$60 budget.
Jul 6, 2016 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

scruppynuppers

New Head-Fier
Hello all, little bit about my needs.

Type: Circumaural, close-back with detachable cable. (I know this is asking much lol)
Genres: All, but mostly rock (all types), classical, and 80-90's hip-hop.
What I Own: Monoprice 8323 Over-Ear

I am by no means an audiophile, but I love a good sounding pair of headphones.
I purchased the Monoprice 8323's and was happy for awhile but they just left me wanting more.
These are by no means a perfect set of headphones at all, they're plastic and creak with nearly every move I make and it's unsettling.
The ear cups also aren't very comfortable for prolonged usage and they make my ears sweat.

With all that said, what I have been looking into are these headphones:
Edifier H850
Basstyle TH-5001
Superlux HD 681

Point is, I can't really say I know what to look for because I know these headphones can seem good on paper.
I have also been looking at the Sennheiser HD 518, although a little higher than my budget, I feel like they seem good.
I have read the Edifier H850's are really good for the price of $50, and would probably offer what I want in this price range.
But I would prefer a non-biased opinion of this whole matter.

Anyway, I really hope I get some solid recommendations, until then have a great day.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hello all, little bit about my needs.

Type: Circumaural, close-back with detachable cable. (I know this is asking much lol)
Genres: All, but mostly rock (all types), classical, and 80-90's hip-hop.
What I Own: Monoprice 8323 Over-Ear

I am by no means an audiophile, but I love a good sounding pair of headphones.
I purchased the Monoprice 8323's and was happy for awhile but they just left me wanting more.
These are by no means a perfect set of headphones at all, they're plastic and creak with nearly every move I make and it's unsettling.
The ear cups also aren't very comfortable for prolonged usage and they make my ears sweat.

With all that said, what I have been looking into are these headphones:
Edifier H850
Basstyle TH-5001
Superlux HD 681

Point is, I can't really say I know what to look for because I know these headphones can seem good on paper.
I have also been looking at the Sennheiser HD 518, although a little higher than my budget, I feel like they seem good.
I have read the Edifier H850's are really good for the price of $50, and would probably offer what I want in this price range.
But I would prefer a non-biased opinion of this whole matter.

Anyway, I really hope I get some solid recommendations, until then have a great day.

The HD518 are open back.  I do not listen to hip-hop, so I am not in a good position to give you a recommendation. I hope that others will.

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, what do you listen to primarily?
Because like I said, I listen to everything.
I don't really care for anything too bass heavy, because I find that it just isn't for me.
But I do like a little bass, just nothing too overbearing.
I also owned the Sol Repulic V8 Tracks, but I gave them to my dad because of them being too bass heavy for me.
That and they were on-ear and those just never sit well with me (literally lol)

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 6
Okay, so I think with hours of searching, for my budget and what I am currently looking for (over-ear, closed).
I think for me the Edifier H850 or the Basstyle TH-5001 would be best for me.
Problem is I'm having trouble finding further information on the Basstyle.
I prefer a sound that isn't too bass heavy, but still has bass (if that makes sense).
I am reading on reviews for the H850's that the sound is flat(?) meaning it's good for what I need I'm guessing.
This is what the person wrote for the sound quality:

"Lets talk about the sound quality. These closed back headphones sound pretty even and flat. Their sound is really flat, meaning they both have their lows, midrange and high sound. Unlike other pairs of headphones I own which center around the lows more than anything else, I am managing to hear a balanced level of frequencies on these headphones. At these levels of frequencies, these headphones do not feel over saturated and feel somewhat flat compared to other headphones I own which makes it ideal for audiophiles. As for use with an amp, I do not own an amp so I can not q say anything about this."

And I mean for the price of $50, I am kinda unsure that I'll be able to find something better.
If you or anyone you know on here has some suggestions, I would definitely be open to them.

Thanks again for replying to this newbie. :)

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 6
If SQ is the main thing you are looking for, you might also consider IEMs. I think in this price range that IEMs trump over ear headphones.

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the advice, but I only use IEM headphones when out and about, I am going to be using these cans while at home.
With that being said, I want to thank you guys for the replies, but I made my final purchase last night after much more hours of searching.
I ended up buying the Superlux HD661 with a Fiio A1 headphone amp (hope it works well for me!) for a grand total of $60 for the two. I don't know if this was an amateur move, but I can say that looking at the reviews I've read, even on here, I think I'll end up pretty happy for the time being.
So until later on, or on another thread somewhere I shall hope to hear from you guys and your advice later on in my quest to find my sound.

Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back