New headphones or supercharge my HD600s?
Dec 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all.

I have something of a conundrum I feel. I currently use Sennheiser HD600s out of an ANT Amber headphone amp and Beresford DAC. I think the combination is pretty good really. I am quite happy with the HD600 in most respects really. It has a clear, detailed sound, with quite fast, punchy bass, but its missing something.

It became apparent to me that perhaps its missing some depth to the sound. What brought this to my attention was trying my FS Atrio M5's on my main rig.

Overall, I have to say, the HD600 definitely seems to sound better quality overall, but the M5s have a lot more bass. However, its not just that they have more bass as such, but I've actually noticed some deep bass in certain songs that I didnt even know existed when using other headphones and my HD600s. Its as if some of the deep bass is actually completely missing from my HD600.

So its got me thinking to what I should do. Its going to bug me now!
biggrin.gif
I know that something is missing, and now I need to put that right! However, I dont know what to do really.

The way I look at it is there are two options. First, as I generally do like the SQ I get from the HD600, I was wondering if a better amplifier might help, one that could give it more grunt. I'm guessing this would need to be a valve amp? Most solid state amps I've heard really aren't any more powerful sounding to my ears than the ANT Amber is, but I admit I aint heard them all. I was thinking of maybe the Darkvoice 337/3322 or the Little Dot IV SE.

The second option is simply to get new headphones. Thing is, I believe the bass is there in the electronics, because I can hear it with the Atrios, but they are much easier to drive. So I dont know whether its the headphones lacking the bass or the amp simply hasnt got the grunt to drive them properly. So if I went with the keeping the ANT Amber and changing the headphones, I am guessing I would need somethng that is much easier to drive than the 600, but retains its sound quality and gives me the extra bass I need. Maybe I am better off with closed headphones? I certainly dont remember my old DT770 lacking bass, but the actual SQ wasnt up there with the 600s.

What should I do?

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 16
take your Senns to a hifi-dealer in the UK (should be easy to find with google and not too far away) and give them some of that supercharge stuff. And they will probably have other headphones too.
Only way to really know is to try for yourself.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
take your Senns to a hifi-dealer in the UK (should be easy to find with google and not too far away) and give them some of that supercharge stuff. And they will probably have other headphones too.
Only way to really know is to try for yourself.

Unfortunately that isn't an option. There are only two hifi dealers in the area, and trust me when I say that they hardly stock ANY headphone stuff at all.

For example, the last time I went through this, my local dealer had the following:-

Grado SR80, Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Stax Basic system, and MF X-Can v3. Thats it! I listened to the lot.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 16
I can totally confirm what you say about the HD600, it does lack deep bass. Ok, look, I've gotta post some more of the graphs I made, it's clearly visible here:

HD600_1.png

That measurement was taken using the Corda Aria as amp. I'm not so sure any sort of amp will give a boost in deep bass only. But I'm not really an amp guy anyway, the differences between amps are too small for me, so you'd better ask elsewhere for advice on amps.

Have you ever heard the ATH-AD2000? It has more deep bass and lots more punch to it while overall not sounding all too different from the HD600.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 16
also, the hd650 shares much of the sound of the hd600 but a little darker with lower bass, maybe this suits you more. They do get better with a nice amp though not necessarily lower, but tighter.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, the hd650 shares much of the sound of the hd600 but a little darker with lower bass, maybe this suits you more. They do get better with a nice amp though not necessarily lower, but tighter.

That's true, but I think pbirkett used to own the HD650. I think he sold it for a reason
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD650 does have relatively more deep bass but that's also because it's generally more tipped towards the lower end.

hd650_1_rmaa.png

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 16
Big-ban - Interesting. It certainly appears as though the 600s do lack a little deep bass there. That would certainly correspond with what I am hearing from them.

Paaj - I owned the HD650 on several occasions, and you're right, they definitely had more bass, but I didnt get on with them unfortunately - I found them too dark and lacking in details and energy.

I had looked into the ATH-AD2000s once a while back, but they are pretty expensive I seem to remember.

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 16
I just pulled up the ANT Amber - it appears to have a barrel jack on the back for a wallwart-style power supply. Have you thought about upgrading that? The connector is standard (usually) so you can jack in another that has the same voltage rating, but higher current. If it's rated, for example, 150mA, look for another that's 400mA, or bigger.

If you can find supplies that are regulated, those are worthwhile, too. but your amp should perform better and open up if it has more power to draw from. At the very least, look into upgrading your power supply.

I couldn't find any technical details on your amp, but if you want to buy another, find one with more power output than the one you have. The HD-600 might not have a huge amount of bass, but it certainly has enough and a very 3D sound to it. But you have to give it a bit of power to get there - I've been listening to mine this morning, but that's from a 3W SET amp. You don't have to get something like that, but there are many that probably offer more power and will make the HD-600 into what you're looking for.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 16
how about introducing Fiio E3 into the chain? .. i heard they act like a Bass boost without causing distortion like EQ.

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions so far, its given me something to think about. I am generally happy with the HD600s in all fairness, and think that they sound quite good, as long as I can resolve this particular issue I think I'll be more than happy.

I've looked into various solutions with regards EQ, but in all honesty there doesnt appear to be much out there that gives the desired result, as I think all that is needed is some fine tuning of the bass, but most dont seem to allow that, but I will look into these suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 16
the HD600s aren't that bassy of a headphone, if you want to get a bit more bass for cheap, get your self a stock HD650 cable, which may do the job.

If you're looking for an amp upgrade, theres an Earmax Pro located in the UK on the FS board atm, personally I think the seller is crazy for selling it so cheap.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 16
The amp won't change the sound as much as getting new headphones. That being said, I noticed a huge difference in bass response from my 580s when I switched from my millett portable to rega's EAR.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowderLegend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp won't change the sound as much as getting new headphones. That being said, I noticed a huge difference in bass response from my 580s when I switched from my millett portable to rega's EAR.

I've had the Rega Ear, and it was pretty lightweight compared with the ANT Amber I use now. I think you might be right though, the HD600 simply arent that bassy.

But then, maybe I might not get something that can sound as good as the HD600 AND can dig down to the depths I require from it without spending silly money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back