New Headphones for PC use.
Dec 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tpe11etier

New Head-Fier
Hello Folks,

I was here a few years ago and was assisted in a purchase of new headphones. The time has come again to purchase a new set and I have some questions.

First, I've been using Audio Technica ATH-A500 for about 5 yrs now straight through my PC with no sound card. Now, I'd like to upgrade them and I'm struggling to find something that I'm certain will work AND will be an upgrade.

I'd really like the AKG701/2's since I believe they'd be great for the music I listen to. Typically Acoustic artists like Damien Rice, Ray Lamontagne and such... Problem is, I know there isn't a chance in hell they are going to work straight through the line in on my motherboard. My other option is the Beyerdynamic DT880's and I'm thinking they *might* work.

I guess my question is. Can I get either one of these headsets to work? Possibly with an additional amp/dac?

Lastly, some additional factors in my decision.
- I do use them for games.
- I have a Wife and 2 kids that I'd like to not hear when I put them on...
smily_headphones1.gif

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 6
The K701/2 and DT880 will both require an amp to properly drive them. They're also both open, so sound will leak in and out. Since you want isolation, perhaps the Denon D2000 would fit the bill better. A dac amp would be perfect for your usage. How much are you looking to spend?

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I would suggest a soundcard if this is for home use. or an external sound card if you cant get an internal one. that alone would drastically improve the sound of your cans and may be a better use of money.

as far as cans go, you have a price range?

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpe11etier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Folks,

I was here a few years ago and was assisted in a purchase of new headphones. The time has come again to purchase a new set and I have some questions.

First, I've been using Audio Technica ATH-A500 for about 5 yrs now straight through my PC with no sound card. Now, I'd like to upgrade them and I'm struggling to find something that I'm certain will work AND will be an upgrade.

I'd really like the AKG701/2's since I believe they'd be great for the music I listen to. Typically Acoustic artists like Damien Rice, Ray Lamontagne and such... Problem is, I know there isn't a chance in hell they are going to work straight through the line in on my motherboard. My other option is the Beyerdynamic DT880's and I'm thinking they *might* work.

I guess my question is. Can I get either one of these headsets to work? Possibly with an additional amp/dac?

Lastly, some additional factors in my decision.
- I do use them for games.
- I have a Wife and 2 kids that I'd like to not hear when I put them on...
smily_headphones1.gif

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You might be surprised at how good your current phones would sound with a real headphone amp. Something like the Musical Fidelity V8 which has a USB DAC and a headphone amp in one box could give you a real bump in performance. I'd go there first, b/4 doing something like the AKG's. The 701/702 are notorious for needing a lot of power to sound good, so you may eventually evolve your phones in that direction after you get an amp. But I'd start with the amp first.

Just my $.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back