New Headphone or Get an Amp? (Updated with a mini review)
Oct 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 17
Ok, I'm diving in. I bought a pair of ER4Ps, which should get here sometime before next Wednesday and a PA2V2 which may get here even sooner. I read up on them in the forums and they seem like a great first (and only for some) amp. Gary's been great to work with.  He was very patient with all my noob questions.

All this new equipment excitement and research made me go and dig out my old iRiver iHP-140 and RockBox it. Aside from some database issues that I hope I can resolve, it's been a revelation how good it sounds.  I'll have a full follow up when it all gets here.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #17 of 17
The ER4Ps arrived early last week and the PA2V2 on Friday, so I've spent a weekend playing around with combinations of headphones and  sources.

My first impression? Who knew that an amp could make such a huge difference to the SQ? On all my players, the amp added warmth, increased the sound stage (on all the etys) , and made for a richer listening experience, even with low quality rips (of which I've got way too many). The higher quality ones show fabulous amounts of details. I really notice this on classical recordings where the continuo sections stand out more clearly.

I'll do a more systematic review in a week or so, but I wanted to report back that the PA2V2 was a great investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back