New headphone for gaming and music
Dec 10, 2008 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TheDuke990

100+ Head-Fier
First of all I would like to say "Hi" to everybody !

This is my first post and I have already a question. Sorry if my grammar is bad. English is not my native language but I try to do my best
wink.gif

Okay, I search for a new headphone to substitute "my" good old Sennheiser 560 Ovation II because the HP is only lend from my father.

The new HP will be used for:
- PC gaming (main application) - shooter and TeamSpeak (on a X-FI music)
- music on PC
- music on my good old Rotel AMP

What kind of music ? Hip Hop, House, Pop, Rock, etc.
Also I love Sting and some instrumentall stuff like Thom Rotela Band.

Budget is: 100 - 200€

After reading here and in HIFI-Forum (German forum) I have some favorite HP's:

- Sennheiser 600/650
- Beyerdynamic 880 Edition 2005
- Beyerdynamic 990 Pro (is it okay ? Relative fair price)
- Ultrasone HIFI-680 (is handled in the market place of the German forum; round about 100€)

Normally I like the Sennheiser sound. It is warm and have a little bit more bass than AKG. That's why I don't want a 601 or 701.

Thank you for your help
Mike

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 15
I would like to start w/o an extra amp.
Maybe later I will buy an amp. Max. 200/250€ for the amp.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 15
Denon D2000 or Ultrasone 780 are your choices. No amp required until you want to get one. I've heard all of the headphones you have listed. I also play COD2, BF2, etc. I use Stax but that is out of your price range.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey spacemanspliff,

I've got a pair of Beyer DT770's coming soon. I won't have an amp for them yet, still trying to decide the proper way to go on that subject. But have you gamed with these? My primary use for them will be gaming with music a second. Will I be let down by them in games until I amp them up?

Thanks

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 15
Headphones are a must for competitive gameplay because of better channel separation. As far as games are concerned I've used HD-600 for gaming. They perform excellent. I've recently acquired DT770 as well as briefly had AKG 271MKII, I tried both of them for gaming, but didn't like as much. It was harder to hear subtle sounds such as footsteps. However, it's possible I'm just too accustomed to the HD600 sound signature.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 15
My DT880s sound just fine out of my X-FI. Only did once though at a mini-lan. I don't know about the Sennheiser as a lot of people talk about the Sennheiser 'veil' when not properly amped.
As for the DT880s they are polite and balanced. Gaming is really nice with them I think. For hiphop they might have a little too less bass for you but I'm fine with the bass on them. They are treble-oriented and very detailed.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzJackRabbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones are a must for competitive gameplay because of better channel separation. As far as games are concerned I've used HD-600 for gaming. They perform excellent. I've recently acquired DT770 as well as briefly had AKG 271MKII, I tried both of them for gaming, but didn't like as much. It was harder to hear subtle sounds such as footsteps. However, it's possible I'm just too accustomed to the HD600 sound signature.

Are you using any sort of external amp? Or just feeding them from your soundcard?

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 15
im no expert at this by any means, but I think most if not all the HPs you listed really need amps to sound good, at least thats what ive seen. for gaming I got a set of AT AD700s, they have a great soundstage, but have tiny bass, made techno and hip hop nearly unenjoyable for me, just got some dt770 pros, to satisfy the basshead in me and there great, havent gamed with them, but I bet they would do fine.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks to all
smily_headphones1.gif
I think you are right. Sennheiser 600 or Beyerdynamic 770/880 are a good choice. But what's up with the Ultrasone HIFI-680 or Beyerdynamic 990 Pro ? Both are cheaper and seems to be also very well.
I can get the Ultrasone 680 for 100€ from Noxter but I don't know the sound of Ultrasone and unfortunately I have no chance to test them
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 15
Hi TheDuke990!

You can order the Ultrasone HFI-680 at the German Ultrasone Online Shop and test them for 30days. However, for gaming and listening music I would recommend the HFI-780. It has more bass and a warmer, more powerful sound. HFI-680 is a very neutral, linear headphone, recommended for monitoring, mixing an so on.
You can also contact Ultrasone directly:

Ultrasone AG
Bernrieder Straße 17b
82327 Tutzing
Germany / Bavaria
Tel.: +49 (0) 8158 / 90 78 - 0
Fax: +49 (0) 8158 / 90 78 - 50
Ultrasone

Regards

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 15
For sure but this is not the way I handle those deals.
Order a 680 and send him back because of saving money (buy a used 680). Not a good behaviour !

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooterman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using any sort of external amp? Or just feeding them from your soundcard?

Currently using PPA amp fed from 1212m. I used to feed them directly from AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 sound card though, they sounded fine.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Just a small update for anybody that cares. I finally got my DT770's in the mail yesterday. I played some tunes and about 4 hours of Left4Dead fed straight from my Audigy2 ZS sound card. They sounded fantastic! I don't have the experience of listening to the other headphones talked about, but I was incredibly impressed with the upgrade in sound that these headphones gave me over the Razer Barracuda HP-1's that I was using previously. I can't imagine how much better they would get with an amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back