New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Dec 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #691 of 2,450
For those who speak German 

For those who do not - really nice pictures

james 

Hallo Herr Potisk,

Hier der Forumslink zu meinem Bericht. Ich denke, er dürfte gut ankommen und die Qualität des BHA-1 ins angemessene Licht setzen. Sie können mir ja mitteilen, wie Ihr Einruck ist.

Bryston BHA-1 Kopfhörerverstärker: Hörbericht - open-end-music-professional

Bester Gruß,
Otwin Maa

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #692 of 2,450
Awesome, thanks James. I can read German so I can enjoy the text too
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #693 of 2,450
I just spent an hour with the BHA-1, and FWIW , here's some intitial impressions:

With the LCD-3 (4-pin) - my first impression was "Wow". It does not always mean that much, but there was something about the way it did the bass. The mids were just warmish and felt very immideate, and it was all accurate, smooth and delicious. Plenty of headroom, without being edgy. I have always had kind of a prejudice against Bryston thinking it is a bit efgy, but dynamic. The BHA-1 was more "smooth and dynamic."

When I connected the HD650, I got an unexpected new "Wow" - and kept feeling that way. It was a terrific. I rarely switch from LCD-3 to the HD650 and think "Wow." I must be emphasize that this was not because the LCD-3 didn't sound great with the BHA-1 - but the HD650 just sounds amazing on BHA-1. It was sort of perfect.

BHA-1 is an amp I could live well with I think.  It's a lot less impressive on the RMS watts specifications than the Mjolnir, but for the dynamics it is after all not continuous power delivery that is important, but how quickly the power is delivered come. Bryston has got a good reputation in this respect, to say the least. And I think they have put some of this in the BHA-1 - in a surprinsingly smooth manner.

The volume control was maintained between 8 and 9:30, and since it started at 7, I felt that there is quite a bit to go on. And this was with the gain set to "low". The output level is lower on the TRS plug I think (don't quote me on that) - probably something with balanced vs unbalanced. The source was balanced (Cary CD player)

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #694 of 2,450
Single ended would be 6dB quieter since its half the voltage.  Here's hoping they get working on a BHA-2 now that Bryston knows the headphone market has money in it :wink:

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #695 of 2,450
Quote:
I just spent an hour with the BHA-1, and FWIW , here's some intitial impressions:

With the LCD-3 (4-pin) - my first impression was "Wow". It does not always mean that much, but there was something about the way it did the bass. The mids were just warmish and felt very immideate, and it was all accurate, smooth and delicious. Plenty of headroom, without being edgy. I have always had kind of a prejudice against Bryston thinking it is a bit efgy, but dynamic. The BHA-1 was more "smooth and dynamic."

When I connected the HD650, I got an unexpected new "Wow" - and kept feeling that way. It was a terrific. I rarely switch from LCD-3 to the HD650 and think "Wow." I must be emphasize that this was not because the LCD-3 didn't sound great with the BHA-1 - but the HD650 just sounds amazing on BHA-1. It was sort of perfect.

BHA-1 is an amp I could live well with I think.  It's a lot less impressive on the RMS watts specifications than the Mjolnir, but for the dynamics it is after all not continuous power delivery that is important, but how quickly the power is delivered come. Bryston has got a good reputation in this respect, to say the least. And I think they have put some of this in the BHA-1 - in a surprinsingly smooth manner.

The volume control was maintained between 8 and 9:30, and since it started at 7, I felt that there is quite a bit to go on. And this was with the gain set to "low". The output level is lower on the TRS plug I think (don't quote me on that) - probably something with balanced vs unbalanced. The source was balanced (Cary CD player)

Can you compare it to the Mj?

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #698 of 2,450

Hope flatter isn't a complex misspelling of:

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #704 of 2,450
One of these? http://www.nobleusa.com/rotary.html

I found about 8-9 o'clock comfortable listening with the LCD-3 (high gain, XLR inputs) - why did you tune it this way (this loud)? As I understand it, pots generally not sound their best at the lower end, since the signal has to go through more of that pot resistance (or whatever you tech-guys calls it ,)  
Quote:
Hi

Its a Nobel potentiometer laser trimmed to 1/4 dB

james

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #705 of 2,450
Quote:
One of these? http://www.nobleusa.com/rotary.html

I found about 8-9 o'clock comfortable listening with the LCD-3 (high gain, XLR inputs) - why did you tune it this way (this loud)? As I understand it, pots generally not sound their best at the lower end, since the signal has to go through more of that pot resistance (or whatever you tech-guys calls it ,)  

The Noble is very linear throughout is range and it is one of the reasons we chose it.  I can get a more 'engineering' answer if that helps.

james

Users who are viewing this thread

Back