New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Nov 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #646 of 2,450
Schiit's volume is quite high. I think they are around 3000 or more Bifrosts sold alone. The Bifrost only came out a couple years ago. Most headphone gear manufacturers would be thrilled with 1500 total units a year and for Schiit that's just one of many of their products.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #647 of 2,450
Quote:
Hi hooster
I will ask engineering about why the specs are quoted where they are - I am just the listener (lol).
The Pro market always has signal flowing from a Male to a Female so we offer the BHA in both Male and Female front panel XLR outputs as the cosumer market uses the reverse on their headphone cables.
The rear panel has a set of Balaned XLR outputs so you can use the BHA as a preamp as well.
James

Many thanks. Interesting info re the XLRs. By the way, can I please have your job? Sounds like an ideal way to earn a living.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #648 of 2,450
Here's some paper work

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #650 of 2,450
Quote:

How does this amp configuration sound:

"The amp will be single chassis, but it's not going to be small. Probably 15-16" wide. The custom RCore should be beefy enough. Each output stage (four of them, two per channel) will be running close to 150mA at idle giving plenty of class A headroom.  It's going to be a genuine differential amp, not a bridged amp. It provides all the benefits of fully differential operation. There is no bridging in the circuit. Is this what you were asking about?

There is  gain switching, between two gain settings using a very simple method that switches just two resistors on each channel. This is one aspect of the design that dbel will be testing.

If all can be brought to production as currently planned it will have 4 outputs, two balanced and two SE, using a variety of jacks for different terminations. It will have three inputs, two balanced and one SE. The SE input will have internal conversion to a balanced signal before it hits the amp so that there is no loss of gain and loss of SQ which sometimes accompanies running a differential amp through just one input."

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #651 of 2,450
FYI: No EE knowledge at all, still trying to figure out the basics of SE/Balanced implementations (fully differential etc)

Couldn't Bryston have done a switching circuit (decided by a flip switch) on which signal to output to? (Balanced option - balanced outputs activated and same for SE).  Where if balanced is chosen, the SE conversion is bypassed totally?

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #652 of 2,450
FYI: No EE knowledge at all, still trying to figure out the basics of SE/Balanced implementations (fully differential etc)

Couldn't Bryston have done a switching circuit (decided by a flip switch) on which signal to output to? (Balanced option - balanced outputs activated and same for SE).  Where if balanced is chosen, the SE conversion is bypassed totally?

That would entail a very radical redesign.
Frankly, I don't see what the point would be.
The BHA-1 input stage is designed to reject common mode noise when used in differential ( i.e. balanced) mode. Which is what you want it to do.

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #653 of 2,450
  #282 (permalink)     
post_new.gif
 11-17-2012, 05:10 PM
[size=10pt]
[size=10pt] [size=14pt]James Tanner - Bryston[/size] 
user_online.gif

sponsor.gif

[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size][size=10pt] Join Date: Sep 2009

[/size]
[/size]
[size=10pt]
icon1.gif

BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
Today at 04:55 pm »

Hi James,

Been playing some music selections for hours on the BHA-1 Headphone amp.

I must confess the HD800 headphones and the Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp have been my most disturbing experience up to now. 

This is by far the most gripping, revelatory and intimate musical experience I've had so far. Words can not express my feelings right now. Schubert never released this kind of detaching emotion. 

You've wet my eyes seriously. Lonely island priority number 1.

Thank you so much.

Marius
Holland

[/size]

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #654 of 2,450
Congrats James, this is the point......Few companies pull it off. :beerchug:

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #655 of 2,450
Quote:
The same--very slight difference between 10-2 or 3 regardless of source-but watch out between 5:30-6-there it goes from normal to ballistic quite quickly--

My DAC a SCHIIT GUNGIR puts out 2 volts---

I have probably 300-400 hours on it.....

1. MorbidToaster
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1305918899.png

What kind of gain are you running on your stage? You'd have to fiddle with the volume less at a higher gain setting.

Running it at High or Low Gain setting--Same issue--

By the way this is one fantastic amp-I simply Love it--and I have quite a few other amps--both Solid State & Tube....

Jack

Thanks Jack, I hope this is normal. I'm on 11 o'clock volume setting fed from Turntable/clearaudio phonostage.

Another issue is I'm hearing a low level hum when no music is playing but when I crank the volume to 12 o'clock and beyond the hum disappear. This happen in any input switch setting ie. balance, rca or mini.

I wish other BHA-1 owners can confirm if this is the same with their amp.

Thanks

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #656 of 2,450
I never listen above 11 o'clock and never hear any hum.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #657 of 2,450
Thanks Jack, I hope this is normal. I'm on 11 o'clock volume setting fed from Turntable/clearaudio phonostage.

Another issue is I'm hearing a low level hum when no music is playing but when I crank the volume to 12 o'clock and beyond the hum disappear. This happen in any input switch setting ie. balance, rca or mini.

I wish other BHA-1 owners can confirm if this is the same with their amp.

Thanks

Is there hum with no source connected.?

James

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #658 of 2,450
Quote:
I never listen above 11 o'clock and never hear any hum.

Thanks Max and it's good for you. Thats true if source is coming from a CD player or DAC but if the source is from phonostage you will need to crank it a little bit. But irregardless of input still I hear a low level hum on my amp. Although it doesn't interfere with the quality of sound when playing music, it makes me crazy when ever I stop it as I'm not sure if it's normal or there is something wrong with my amp.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #659 of 2,450
Quote:
Is there hum with no source connected.?
James

Hi James, yes I can hear a low level hum even if the source cables are unplug. The odd thing is if you crank the volume pass 12 the hum disappear. Is it a normal noise floor? 

Thanks,
Jon

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #660 of 2,450
Quote:

Hi James, yes I can hear a low level hum even if the source cables are unplug. The odd thing is if you crank the volume pass 12 the hum disappear. Is it a normal noise floor? 

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

No that is not normal - email Mike Pickett at Bryston - we may have to have a look at your unit.
mpickett@bryston.com

james

Users who are viewing this thread

Back