New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jun 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 2,450
Speaker manufacturers ? To my simplistic way of thinking, there shouldnt be a huge chasm between the ability to build a good preamplifier and the ability to build a dedicated headphone amp - always happy to hear otherwise from Ray or someone who knows that of which they speak.

Speaker gear manufacturers. :wink:

But for the longest time, they have ignored our segment of audio...and no there isn't a huge chasm, but for some reason they preferred to not even try. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with "our" gear manufacturers like Ray Samuels, or Woo Audio, just nice to have others offer more selection.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 2,450
Well, it seems that old-line audiophile manufacturers are starting to pay attention to Head-Fi. :)

Bryston makes fine gear - I'll look forward to them getting into the market!

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #18 of 2,450

Quote:
Well, it seems that old-line audiophile manufacturers are starting to pay attention to Head-Fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bryston makes fine gear - I'll look forward to them getting into the market!

One has to ask if this, and the sudden rush to build digital transports, is a sign of their realisation that they cant rely on a few middle-aged men with pipes, slippers and hefty check books. I still look at gear from people like Gryphon and think 'Nah - they are as wedded to 1998 as they were 3 years ago !', but we have to think back to how long many it took some of these companies to embrace the CD as a viable alternative to vinyl. That said, I'd be very surprised if someone is sitting at a drawing board at Meridian with the specs for a 30K signature headphone amp - always happy to hear otherwise.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 2,450
Very nice, wonder what kind of tech is inside.

It's nice to see more and more balanced options hitting the market, will be interesting to read some reviews.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #22 of 2,450
I was at the CEDIA show in Indianapolis and stopped by the Bryston booth.  I didn't know anything about this new product but saw a pair of chromed out 325is 'phones with 4-pin XLR hooked up to a piece of Bryston gear.  The photo right above this post by Hardertaskthinking is what I saw yesterday at CEDIA.  It was still not a production unit and the guy I talked to said a production unit probably wouldn't be ready by RMAF.  The texture of the aluminum front plate wasn't up to production standards and the chassis had an eggshell finish instead of the more matte finish I'm used to on Bryston gear. 

He indicated it would be in the ballpark of $2K.  Disclaimer - the guy I was talking to, while highly intelligent, didn't seem to be an expert on this new piece of gear.  This was CEDIA after all - surround-sound processors and amplifiers were the main course.

It was stacked on top of the Bryston cd-player and was the exact same form factor.  Without having any idea how it sounds, the idea of having a BCD-1/BDA-1/BHP-1 stack makes me drool a little bit on my shirt...

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #25 of 2,450
New Bryston Headphone Amplifier
http://www.stereophile.com/content/new-bryston-headphone-amplifier
by Robert Deutsch • Posted: Oct 1, 2011
"[...] Headphones have been around for a long time, but they've been usually peripheral to the interests of audiophiles. This has been changing, and Bryston has a new product to meet this challenge. The BPHA-1 ($1295) is a headphone amplifier that is said to work well with the new headphones that are difficult to drive. Bryston's James Tanner is holding up a prototype of the BPHA-1."

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 2,450
Quote:
Not exactly "affordable" but 1295 is not bad at all.

It's within reach for paycheck savers.

I wonder what's inside.

I was close, very similar in design and pricing from the Luxman hp amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back