New headphone amplifier from Bryston
May 28, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #2,401 of 2,450
I am about to get a balanced k702 soon. What changed in your experience?
With the wonky volume on the BHA1 I appreciated the doubling in voltage with balanced, other than that there shouldn't be any appreciable change in sound.
To clarify, the potentiometer appears to to have a linear increase up until the 9/10 o'clock position then very little again until the 4/5 o'clock position, so IMHO it made it difficult getting a comfortable volume correct sometimes. the voltage increase with balanced keeps the K7XX series in the sweet spot.
Currently I just use the volume control on my Cambridge CXN dac/streamer feeding the BHA1 and just leave the Bryston potentiometer at a higher than normal setting.

Bryston BHA1 schematic. (detail of the XLR and single ended outputs)
Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 11.29.04 AM.png
https://mans.io/files/viewer/448684/1

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #2,403 of 2,450
The BHA-1 has stood the test of time because it's so good at what it does -- it can drive any headphone, does so without any strain, and does not impart any coloration on the sound. You get out exactly what you put in -- in my book that's all you can ask.

20230517-145720.jpg

Jun 22, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #2,404 of 2,450
The BHA-1 has stood the test of time because it's so good at what it does -- it can drive any headphone, does so without any strain, and does not impart any coloration on the sound. You get out exactly what you put in -- in my book that's all you can ask.

20230517-145720.jpg
Hear ! Hear ! 👍

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #2,405 of 2,450
So quiet here.

I have a used BHA-1 for a month. Solid build and very neutral sound. The best thing I like is it's 12v input trigger. Very rare features for a headphone amp. I'm so surprised that Bryston doesn't plan to make a new version for than a decade.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #2,406 of 2,450
So quiet here.

I have a used BHA-1 for a month. Solid build and very neutral sound. The best thing I like is it's 12v input trigger. Very rare features for a headphone amp. I'm so surprised that Bryston doesn't plan to make a new version for than a decade.
Why make a new version, when the current version is great as any other headphone amp in the price range. Plus that 20 year warranty is unheard of in this space, also there have been minor silent updates throughout the years. Newer is not always better, good quality design, good components, good build, always trumps the new shiny object. Amp technology hasn’t changed much if at all year over year.

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #2,407 of 2,450
Why make a new version, when the current version is great as any other headphone amp in the price range. Plus that 20 year warranty is unheard of in this space, also there have been minor silent updates throughout the years. Newer is not always better, good quality design, good components, good build, always trumps the new shiny object. Amp technology hasn’t changed much if at all year over year.
It's no doubt a solid headphone, but there is definitely some room for improvement. :)

-volume knob is a bit weird. There is almost no change in volume between some clocks on mine, e.g, 9-12, 1-3. I read this happen to a lot of ppl.
-no remote. A bit inconvenient when use as a preamp.
-low gain is still too high for some headphones or iems unless you send it back to Bryston for a mod
-no 4.4mm output
-no RCA outs
-3.5mm input is a bit outdated. This was designed mostly for input from old cellphones
-it would be great if there is also a 12v trigger out. Better use 3.5 mm version instead of the Phoenix plug

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #2,408 of 2,450
It's no doubt a solid headphone, but there is definitely some room for improvement. :)

-volume knob is a bit weird. There is almost no change in volume between some clocks on mine, e.g, 9-12, 1-3. I read this happen to a lot of ppl.
-low gain is still too high for some headphones or iems unless you send it back to Bryston for a mod
-no 4.4mm output
-no RCA outs
-3.5mm input is a bit outdated. This was designed mostly for input from old cellphones
-it would be great if there is also a 12v trigger out. Better use 3.5 mm version instead of the Phoenix plug
Totally agree

The amp is stellar but the issues you point out would make it a much better product

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #2,409 of 2,450

-no 4.4mm output
-no RCA outs
Every headphone amp has room for improvement, many of the stuff you listed are rarely found in one device. Exceptions to 2-channel pre-amps or integrated amps.

Volume knob: this is deliberate not a design flaw
No remote: I have 6 headphone amps, on the only one with a remote was the TT2
Low gain: any full size amp will be too much for IEMs, they are too sensitive! Full size headphones, sure there are some and more exceptions. If the Bryston is too much for them, the better solution is probably an amp or dongle more suited for their sensitivity.
4.4mm: outside a DAP, never owned a headphone which had this
RCA Output: Did you know that the Bryston can convert Single-ended into Balanced to work with another Balanced amp? Useful feature. Also, not all amps have any pre-out, some rarely have a pass-through output. The balanced output adds the ability to use the BHA-1 as a pre-amp
3.5mm input: it’s still an input which can be used, RCA -> 3.5mm cable
12v trigger: Which other headphone amp provides this? Probably less than 10.

I still disagree, and we don’t have to agree at all. If you enjoy it, great. If you don’t, great. I don’t think it’s fair to call it outdated when many of the features you listed are more along the lines of kitchen sink do it all. Might as well throw in a network streaming DAC too if we are adding features 😁

In the price range this sells for you are asking for a lot of nice to have stuff, none of this is must have. Maybe a Holo Bliss, a $3.5k+ headphone amp has most of these options, sure there are others. It’s a bit misleading to nitpick these things as needing to be included. My best amp is a crap ton more expensive, has two inputs one headphone output, doesn’t like IEMs or sensitive headphones ( I barely get past 2 on the volume knob), but man it sounds fantastic. My point, we all place value on different things with a piece of gear. At the end of the day it’s a matter of what one is willing to give up for the sound.

Everything else is just extra

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #2,410 of 2,450
Volume knob: this is deliberate not a design flaw
yeh all bryston preamps and headphone amps have this, i still think it is a flaw. agree with everything else you say

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #2,414 of 2,450
How would these get it a whole new level appeal? As in what does this translate into, what are people choosing over the Bryston for these extra features?

Many people that want to use their headphone amplifiers as preamps. With a remote control and a dac.

Violectric 550, 580 - Burson Conductors

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #2,415 of 2,450
Many people that want to use their headphone amplifiers as preamps. With a remote control and a dac.

Violectric 550, 580 - Burson Conductors
I have heard those, Vio 550 sounds nothing like a Bryston. The older Vio amps were similar in sound for sure.
On the Burson amps, well good luck if that is the sound signature one enjoys.

We all have options, choose whatever is best for oneself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back