New HeadAmp Gilmore Lite w/Hard to Drive HPs
Oct 10, 2004 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jap

500+ Head-Fier
[size=small]I am considering a new HeadAmp Gilmore Lite amp but would like to know if it is capable of driving tough-to-drive headphones like the AKG K501. Anyone has any insight here?[/size]

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]I am considering a new HeadAmp Gilmore Lite amp but would like to know if it is capable of driving tough-to-drive headphones like the AKG K501. Anyone has any insight here?[/size]

It's driving my Senn HD650s quite nicely right now. If the AKG K501 is a little harder to drive than the 650s I would recommend having the gain raised a bit above the default level.

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 6
It drives my K501s very nicely - I have no complaints whatsoever.

With the default gain and these phones, I find 100% volume is not earsplitting, but is much too loud to listen to for more than half a minute or so. I typically listen at 40%-60% volume, depending of course on the source material and on how loud I feel like listening.

Oct 10, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 6
[size=small]Thanks for the feedback, guys! I don't have the K501's yet, but I'm looking for a relatively transparent, transportable amp that can drive them to optimal performance.
cool.gif
[/size]

Oct 11, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 6
I was browsing through the HeadAmp site and noticed that the front page was updated to point out that the new Gilmore Lite now ships with only a one to three day wait time.
cool.gif

if you are looking for a transparent amp, this is definitely something to consider. I really like my gilmore balanced reference for that.

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 6
The new Lite should drive them well. I listen at 9 o'clock with my Beyer 880. 12 o'clock is LOUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back