New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Feb 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #61 of 425
Ok this is my FR Graph, just received it today.

I don't see any peak in 6kHz here tho. It's around 9kHz??

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #62 of 425
Ok this is my FR Graph, just received it today.

I don't see any peak in 6kHz here tho. It's around 9kHz??

Here is mine for 197xx:

(sorry for bad quality, smartphone cam...)

I still feel mine has a peak around 6k compared to pretty much anything else I have, including my new SR-009's that I had the chance to compare directly to my HD800. HD800 on Cary CAD 300 SEI and Bryston BP26 to the SR-009 on SRM-323S, SRM-006tS, SRM-007tII.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #63 of 425
Quote:
Here is mine for 197xx:

(sorry for bad quality, smartphone cam...)

I still feel mine has a peak around 6k compared to pretty much anything else I have, including my new SR-009's that I had the chance to compare directly to my HD800. HD800 on Cary CAD 300 SEI and Bryston BP26 to the SR-009 on SRM-323S, SRM-006tS, SRM-007tII.

Holy cow.. you have only 19 post and you are in Stax area already 
size]

Honestly HD 800 is not for Basshead I think (just read your comment to find an amp to make it more bassy).

I think I knew the treble peak at 6k. I've listened at one store long time ago, the setup was Lehmann .. BCL (?) and high end CDP. I couldn't listen at all for long time. The treble hurts me. My impression at that time, HD800 was very fast and I read somewhere (may be headfonia) it might be near Stat's speed.

I've just paired my HD800 with Fostex HP-A8 (good price ~$850 here). I don't have any fatigue at all listening for long time. It's mellow, yet very detailed. Airy and 3D sounded. Just try to listen between low level to moderate listening volume. HD800 is very good at low listening volume. Happy ears :).

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #64 of 425
Holy cow.. you have only 19 post and you are in Stax area already 
size]

Honestly HD 800 is not for Basshead I think (just read your comment to find an amp to make it more bassy).

I think I knew the treble peak at 6k. I've listened at one store long time ago, the setup was Lehmann .. BCL (?) and high end CDP. I couldn't listen at all for long time. The treble hurts me. My impression at that time, HD800 was very fast and I read somewhere (may be headfonia) it might be near Stat's speed.

I've just paired my HD800 with Fostex HP-A8 (good price ~$850 here). I don't have any fatigue at all listening for long time. It's mellow, yet very detailed. Airy and 3D sounded. Just try to listen between low level to moderate listening volume. HD800 is very good at low listening volume. Happy ears :).

Yeah well, I found myself looking at dropping ~$4.5k on DAC/AMP for the HD800, so I skipped that and went straight for the SR-009.
(now I just need to sell some body parts for a highend dac/amp to replace the entry level stuff I got :p)

Hmm, I would have to disagree with you there, the bass on my HD800 is excellent when its got a decent amp :p
(not the boomy high-impact "good", but very detailed, deep and exact)
The stax actually feels like it comes up short to the HD800 in detail for the sub bass.

And having spent a few days with Fostex HP-A8C and my HD800 I would mostly agree with you that it does well on low volumes, but for its price I expected more. (also the usb issue I mentioned before...)

Out of interest, what volume do you use on the HP-A8C?

I found myself at -5dB most of the time, and this is where I felt it was lacking.
at -15dB or less the bass was fine, but the general volume was a bit low for my taste, just something for late night listening :p

(and gain=0, I know we talked about that before...)

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #65 of 425
Quote:
Any idea / guesses as to when Sennheiser might update / release a new flagship? I'm saving up for an HD800 right now, and it would suck if a new model comes out right after I bought mine.

With this inflation rate, get one now or else the new model will be much more than $1500.  Just got mine a month ago...nice little 'phones, worth the $$.  

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #68 of 425
I'm sure the HD800 will still be one of the best around, it's one of those headphones that take full advantage of more higher-end gear in terms of source, dac and amplification. Even though I use mine when I get the time to through my b22's, I still feel that it isn't enough. Might grab a ZD or BA one day to see how well it fairs up against my Omega's.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #69 of 425
Let's hope it's a more mainstream HE90 successor that is also affordable, not a $15k 300 piece made unobtainium. 
size]

Agreed. If King Sound continues to roll out models and Hifiman brings Jades out of retirement we'll have Stax and potentially Sennheiser with a HE-60 successor in a previously unheard of 4 way in-production battle for high end stat supremacy. That $1000-3000 space is going to get crowded real quick.

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #70 of 425
Quote:
Agreed. If King Sound continues to roll out models and Hifiman brings Jades out of retirement we'll have Stax and potentially Sennheiser with a HE-60 successor in a previously unheard of 4 way in-production battle for high end stat supremacy. That $1000-3000 space is going to get crowded real quick.

I don't know about Stax releasing another "cheaper" offering as their company moto/goal is trying to achieve the most transparent and neutral sound reproduction out of a stat transducer and given that all the latest headphones they've released have only gotten more expensive over the past few years. Remember the original Omegas was released as TOTL from Stax back 2 decades ago or so and Sennheiser's answer to that was the HE90 and how many folds was the HE90 expensive over the Omega's?

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #71 of 425
Quote:
Yeah well, I found myself looking at dropping ~$4.5k on DAC/AMP for the HD800, so I skipped that and went straight for the SR-009.
(now I just need to sell some body parts for a highend dac/amp to replace the entry level stuff I got :p)

Hmm, I would have to disagree with you there, the bass on my HD800 is excellent when its got a decent amp :p
(not the boomy high-impact "good", but very detailed, deep and exact)
The stax actually feels like it comes up short to the HD800 in detail for the sub bass.

And having spent a few days with Fostex HP-A8C and my HD800 I would mostly agree with you that it does well on low volumes, but for its price I expected more. (also the usb issue I mentioned before...)

Out of interest, what volume do you use on the HP-A8C?

I found myself at -5dB most of the time, and this is where I felt it was lacking.
at -15dB or less the bass was fine, but the general volume was a bit low for my taste, just something for late night listening :p

(and gain=0, I know we talked about that before...)

That's too bad....  I read somewhere Sennheiser is going to release new Stats successor to HE-90 in the near future 
size]
. Only if it is true...

I'm listening at around  -16 dB. 

Sometimes I set gain to 10 dB and I'm listening at around -26 dB. I don't know if it's the same as above setting. Some recordings need higher volume tho...

HP-A8 presentation is very smooth, silky smooth or crystal smooth 
size]
, whatever.... I never listen music at low volume before this but with HD800 + HP-A8c I tend to set lower volume and I'm enjoying it very much... analyzing extracted materials in the recordings, and in the same time enjoying the music... strange. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #75 of 425
Quote:

It will also come with a special ability to float in mid air...who need's a headphone stand right?

A hovering pair of headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back